Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost odyssey boss battles , Im tearing my hair out

• 30-06-2008 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Ok first up in not a noob when it comes to rpg games, finished final fantasy 5, 6, 7 , 8 , 9, and 10 including all the side quests with no major problems so when i got lost odyssey i thought to myself no problem.

However im on the second boss and i honestly cant beat the fudging thing. Its impossible, i try to keep on leveling up but the enemys in the area give you like 3 exp. I havent ran from 1 enemy in the game yet so i am where i should be level wise, got everything equipped correctly in my favor against the boss and im using my most powerfull attacks against him, I an kill off the first part no problem but when the second part comes out its not friggen possible, your way too outnumbered!!!!

Sorry about the rant but does anyone else think that boss's difficulty level is ridiculous?

And i know this isnt a faq but any one out there have any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Is that the big worm thing ? I had severe problems with him too. Got everyone the skill to prevent paralysis but it didnt help really. I never got a chance to go back to it after.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I had some serious problems with it too and btw:
    when you kill it the first time, it comes back FULL OF ENERGY and you have to kill it again!!!

Have you noticed that it gathers mana from the bugs in front of it? You need to kill them fast to cut off its supply of mana. You can kill it without it reaching the end of its bar (though see the spoiler above for more about that).

Anyway, yes its V. hard but its possible. I havent played on since then yet but I'm going to soon...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

yea i know about the spoiler bit, i keep on getting to there then i get destroyed. It certainly is one of those tear out your hair moments!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Yeah that guy is really hard. Lost Odyssey's levelling system is different and the amount of exp you gain depends on your level and the level cap of the area. Since you're getting little exp, it means you're at the level the game intended.

Killing that guy is hard. Firstly, you should have your entire party learn Anti-Paralysis from one of the equips. I found the best thing was to thin out the bugs but even then focus on the boss. A good way is to just use Jansen who can one-hit the bugs while Kaim and Seth attack the boss. Jansen should still switch to the boss though since he hits the highest. When it does use it's special, have your party use Zephyr. You want to make the boss your priority. Although it's good to kill off the bugs, it's the boss you want to kill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Levelling up in Lost Odyssey is pointless since the levels are capped. i much prefer it this way tbh, level grinding is a pointless and painful task.

I finished that boss first time but he did give me a lot of trouble. Kill the bugs off first and then just lay into the boss with everything you have got while healing when you need it. I didn't have anti paralysis on everyone at the time but it will make the boss battle much easier. Be content in the knowledge that the game gets a lot easier following this boss.

• Advertisement

Haha, thanks lads. Me thinks il take another stab at it before i head off in the morning. I dont really like the level capping idea, kinda takes some of the fun from working hard and getting your character up to that level you know. Still anything that takes away the pointless grinding is good by me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Yep, I remember that guy alright. Took a good few shots to kill him. I did have to level up a bit but, as stated, the level cap makes it very hard. You can still level up it just takes a lot longer. However it might save you some stress in the long run. Rest assured that this was one of the harder bosses in the game!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

You don't want to kill all the little guys or five will pretty much spawn all at once. Just thin them out to two or three. Lay into the big guy, anti- whatever you need on your characters. Obviously guard during the big attack. Great boss fight. A genuine difficult enemy, good luck!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

First time I killed him I was like "jesus f-ing christ" as I had rocketed to that point and my guys were still quite low level and were trashed... and then the "spoiler" happened and I cried a little.

I'm glad to hear it gets easier!! But the masses of text of the dream-sequences is just awful. Who the f*** thought that 20 slides of powerpoint text would make a good dream sequence and theres tons of them apparently!!

DeV.

Took another stab at him today with the advice from here, got 450 hp of the second part, furthest ive ever got but im about 1400 shy of continuing on the story :( .

God i hate awefull gameplay mechanics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Are you not healing? The only worrying attack really is the boss who doesn't do it that often. You should have Kaim and Seth use Zephyr while Jansen continues to attack the boss. If you're really low on hp, throw in a Zephyr from Jansen. I guess the most annoying thing though is if you're paralysed. Just use anti-paralysis herbs then.

I do but zephyr only gives me 100 health, then for some reason when the bugs use impule it takes off 700, i dunno if thats normal or what but its happening to me. Jansen is immune to paralysis but anytime i heal with him on the next turn the bugs kill off both jansen and whoever i try to resurrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Sandor wrote: »
    You don't want to kill all the little guys or five will pretty much spawn all at once. Just thin them out to two or three. Lay into the big guy, anti- whatever you need on your characters. Obviously guard during the big attack. Great boss fight. A genuine difficult enemy, good luck!
    This how I did it. Just thin out the numbers of the little guys a bit. All you want to do is slow the big fella down enough so that you can kill him before he charges a blast.
    DeVore wrote: »
    I'm glad to hear it gets easier!! But the masses of text of the dream-sequences is just awful. Who the f*** thought that 20 slides of powerpoint text would make a good dream sequence and theres tons of them apparently!!

It would be awful if they weren't so well written. Some of the most moving and evocative moments ever in video games can be found in those little dream sequences.

I'm on the last disc of Lost Odyssey... I really must get back into it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wouldn't bother with zephyr at all. Just use physical attacks with Kaim and Seth. Zephyr takes far too long to charge and can be interrupted by getting attacked. Using items to heal might help since they require no charge time.

Can't see how you are having so much trouble, he's tough but definitely doable.

Neither can i, ive honestly never had any real problems with any rpg before. This boss just seems to be impossible for some reason. Havent had a chance to take him on since. Tomorro evnin prob il go for it again!!

Well next time you try it make sure everyone has antiparalysis, concentrate on using physical attacks with Seth and Kaim, and Jansen to deal out magic when he isn;t healing. If you really need it don't be afraid to have seth or kaim use healing items, not magic because it takes too long. Also wittling down the smaller runts to just 1 might help a lot.

Id love to have everyone havce anti paralysis but i only have 1 equip that does this, a yellow bangle and its already on jansen. If i had anti paralysis on all of em id be sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

But you can get the others to learn it from Jansen. It's one of the more important features of the games combat system. You'll need to get to grips with it.

Yep you should take turns equipping it to the two immortal characters Kaim and Seth. They should learn it in about 4 battles. Then equip the anti paralysis to them both and have jansen equi the bangle. Sorted. You really need to get to grips with the abilities system or you'll have woeful trouble with the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Every boss in the game has a strategy you use to defeat. In the case of the worm, as others have said, take out the insects first to prevent the boss from powering up his big attack. Also, barricade spell can work well (if you have it at that point, can't remember). I'm on disc 2 at the moment and enjoying the game.. have died a fair few times though! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Out of interest, has any body bought the DLC dungeon and if so, whats it like?

Advertisement