Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mechanic Scratched my car!! What to do??

Options
  • 30-06-2008 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭

So was on hols all last week left my car at my house and gave my mechanic my keys to do a few jobs on it while I was away.. Just picked it up a few hours ago and there is a bad enough mark on the front bumper it dug into it what ever it hit off.

So rang him and he said call out tomorrow and he will have a look at it. What should i expect to get from him??

DSC00229.jpg
    DSC00228.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The bumper repaired.:)

That said, depending on the age/condition of the car, it may be in both your interests to just settle on a cash figure and leave the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

the fact that he is coming out to have a look at it says a lot.!!! if he was positive he did not hit it he would have said it left the garage perfect and he let you drive out with it to see if you noticed. now that you have he is caught!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Anan1 wrote: »
    The bumper repaired.:)

That said, depending on the age/condition of the car, it may be in both your interests to just settle on a cash figure and leave the mark.

Its only a 99 golf but i pride myself on it and look after it very well as its in good con

Martron wrote: »
    the fact that he is coming out to have a look at it says a lot.!!! if he was positive he did not hit it he would have said it left the garage perfect and he let you drive out with it to see if you noticed. now that you have he is caught!!!

Ya my dad knows him i say if it was someone who didnt know us they woulda said they didnt do it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Vain wrote: »
    Its only a 99 golf but i pride myself on it and look after it very well as its in good con

regardless he damaged your car. end of! you want it fixed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

What if it wasn't him? What if somene else hit your car while it was stationary?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What if it wasn't him? What if somene else hit your car while it was stationary?
    Doesn't matter, it was in his care.

Could not of happened while it was in my drive way, And where he fixes the cars its in the middle of know where so it must of been him that hit it off some thing while he was driving it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I would be expecting it to be repaired fully!

BrynW wrote: »
    I would be expecting it to be repaired fully!

New bumper or touch up?

• Advertisement

New bumper or touch up?

Touch up.....but only if it is fixed 100%. Red is a hard colour to match paint wise, especially with the fact it's a 9 year old golf so there is bound to be paint fade.

BrynW wrote: »
    Touch up.....but only if it is fixed 100%. Red is a hard colour to match paint wise, especially with the fact it's a 9 year old golf so there is bound to be paint fade.

i know thats what im worried about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Car has been painted before, badly.

It would be a bit rich to ask for a new bumper, it can be flattend down and compounded then touched up.

As ya said its a 9 yo golf.

Volvoboy wrote: »

It would be a bit rich to ask for a new bumper, it can be flattend down and compounded then touched up.

Ya i seen that before alright but only can notice it up close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Looking at the bumper there was an appalling cowboy repair job done on it previously. i.e. if you look above the damage you can see the coarse sandpaper marks through the finish. The OP should be happy enough to accept a quick touch up rather that a complete respray. Doing the dog on your mechanic is only taking the pi**s and you may need him in future for more important jobs.

Looking at the bumper there was an appalling cowboy repair job done on it previously. i.e. if you look above the damage you can see the coarse sandpaper marks through the finish. The OP should be happy enough to accept a quick touch up rather that a complete respray. Doing the dog on your mechanic is only taking the pi**s and you may need him in future for more important jobs.

i know iv seen that.. i would be happy with a touch up once its a good one

i know iv seen that.. i would be happy with a touch up once its a good one

I would say the mechanic will only offer a touch up cos of the awful job done on it already. I'm sure the touch up will probably be better than the work done on it already ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I would not be asking him in the future for anything if my car got damaged in any shape or form while in his care... Regardless if it was a genuine accident I could not afford to have people causing me inconvenience like that. Surely he would have noticed a scrape like that before bringing back the car to you. Is it not their duty to check the car to ensure it was in good condition prior to bringing it back to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

What's the big deal? He's coming over to have a look at it and hasn't said he didn't cause the damage?

At least wait til he refuses to fix it before complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

badly???? that is putting it mildly , spotted it straight away & I wasn't even wearing my specs, I suppose you want to get the previous eyesore touched up as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Definately has been very badly painted before, going by the orange peel effect on the main body. This thread puzzles me since the concern seems to be about the damage on the bumper, when there are much worse scores on the bodywork above. Did both happen at the same time? --they look as if they did -- and if so, did he drive it through a hedge or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Jesus looks like he ran over Wolverine.

ART6 wrote: »
    Definately has been very badly painted before, going by the orange peel effect on the main body. This thread puzzles me since the concern seems to be about the damage on the bumper, when there are much worse scores on the bodywork above. Did both happen at the same time? --they look as if they did -- and if so, did he drive it through a hedge or something?

yes i know its been badly painted before but thats not the point, point is he cause more damage to it which wasnt there when i gave him my car

just back from him were going to go half and half at getting it fixed as it was at my house alone for 5 days while i was gone and we checked around his yard and cant see any paint marks on what he could of hit it off. better than nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

steve06 wrote: »

Got it done now it not the best job but it will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

NiSmO wrote: »

Will do now in a bit. the red is a bit darker but maybe because its not dry, The guy also went over other marks so happy with that as i was meaning to do that for ages

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

Advertisement