Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence question regarding storage

Options
  • 30-06-2008 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I understand you need to store a gun in a gun safe and provide proof of this upon application for a gun licence. I intend to buy a shotgun fairly soon but regards storage I hope to keep it with a friend who I shot with in his safe. He lives around 20 miles from myself so is covered by another garda station where he applied for his licence. Where do I apply for a licence? In my own local garda station or the garda station local to where the gun is to be kept?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

midlouth wrote: »
    I understand you need to store a gun in a gun safe and provide proof of this upon application for a gun licence. I intend to buy a shotgun fairly soon but regards storage I hope to keep it with a friend who I shot with in his safe. He lives around 20 miles from myself so is covered by another garda station where he applied for his licence. Where do I apply for a licence? In my own local garda station or the garda station local to where the gun is to be kept?

I think this will be a no no. Uless your friend also has a licence for the same gun! Gun safes are not very expensive at around €150 new. Can you not store it at your own address?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There's a lot of precedent in the UK for refusals on the grounds that the safe is openable by someone else. Not sure about precendent here but I can't see this one getting off the ground.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

TBH, I can't see why not.

I have a license for a club gun which sits in a safe in a different district to the one I live in. That safe is accessible by several other people and the Gardai have no problem with it.

Apply in your own district. They may tell you no or they may tell you to apply in the other district but you have very little to lose by asking.

Given that you're willing to go the extra mile (or 20 ;)) to ensure that your firearm is securely stored that should tell them that you're serious about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

I see you are mid-louth. Will you fall under the Navan district? If so wait a week or to before going for the licence. The Ardee area is getting its very own super and fingers crossed he is not from kilkenny city:o

The super in navan is not very gun friendly and might want you to have your own safe. But you can only try!!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭midlouth

I live with my parents and my dad is not keen on having a gun in the house, which is fair enough being his house.

I am based in Ardee and intend on storing the gun with a friend in Navan. I hear Ardee is going 24 hours but don't know what way that is going to effect getting a licence. As I understand it the super essentially is the messiah when it comes to deciding who gets one and who doesn't, I suppose Ardee doesn't have a Super atm considering it isn't a 24 hour station.

Is it possible to have more than one licence on a gun? Does that mean that if I used my mates gun in his presence it would be illegal? I would have thought him having a gun would have made it easier given that he already has a licence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

midlouth wrote: »

hi midlouth your friend lived about 20MILES from you ok
    how much in petrol or diesel will it cost you to drive their and back
    and for peace of mind only 180euro gun in your own safe:)
    i have 2 safes for .22 rinfire one for rifle. 2 safe for ammo and rifle bolt
    anyway goodluck with your application:Dsteve

It has nothing to do with the cost of the safe, I wouldn't be buying a gun if cost was going to be an issue more to do with my auld lad not wanting a gun in the house regardless of how secure it might be. I will have to go in and ask a gard and if it doesn't work then some arm twisting will have to ensue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

while i was typing up my post you had allready posted up look at the time
    my post was put up steve i type with one finger

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Liscense it at your mates house.I had the same story with my better half.We dual liscensed them no problem.She lives with her mum appx 3.5 days with me and 3.5 days with her Mum who is ill and not much into having a gun in the house without any men in the abode.Appx the same distance.
    I consulted with my local Gardai as she used to bring them up and down with her.They said liscense them with my address as I had the safe in place and she was half the time in residence with me.
    So dual liscense with your mate at hiss address,store there as well.Nil Problemo.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

IRLConor wrote: »
    TBH, I can't see why not.
    I have a license for a club gun which sits in a safe in a difflerent district to the one I live in. That safe is accessible by several other people and the Gardai have no problem with it.
    Yes, but (isn't there always a but?) -
    1) DURC's rifles are technically held by the college - which is listed as a firearms dealer, which makes things a bit nontypical;
    2) All firearms in DURC are on the DURC authorisation. So technically, anyone in DURC could legally use your rifle. (Despite the ass-kicking that would ensue, nothing illegal would have been done).

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Yes, but (isn't there always a but?) -
    1) DURC's rifles are technically held by the college - which is listed as a firearms dealer, which makes things a bit nontypical;

Is the college still an RFD?
    Sparks wrote: »
    2) All firearms in DURC are on the DURC authorisation. So technically, anyone in DURC could legally use your rifle. (Despite the ass-kicking that would ensue, nothing illegal would have been done).

That's a fair point, provided they didn't take them off the premises without a removal order.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Certainly were around November or December when that was explained to me, so I assume so.

Was the last time I checked, but good point, it's been a while since then.

Certainly were around November or December when that was explained to me, so I assume so.

Grand so, people have told me in the past that it was but the college takes care of a decent chunk of the paperwork so I never got to confirm it for myself.

Thanks for the info lads, ended up I was able to make the process a little less complicated. The mother had a word with the father, I was then able to explain to him that it had to be kept in a safe etc. Then he suggested who I should talk to about buying a gun and who I should ask for permission to shot on their land.

Wonder should I leave it until after the 1st of Aug to apply or should I do it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You'd be best to apply whenever you want. You can leave collecting the licence until after renewal time if you want to save the extra fee in any case. Chances are it won't come through before then anyway.

Advertisement