Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Minor supermarket dent

Options
  • 30-06-2008 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

A 3mph supermarket carpark tiff just put a dent in my quarter panel, I was stationary in a parking space, engine off, lights off. The other car was reversing out of his (incorrect double yellow line) parking space. his car is fine. He admitted responsibility although without a dictaphone that means nothing. The rules of the road state that if only property is damaged it is enough to let the owner know, this has obviously been done, so I didn't call the guards.

What should I do next?
    Obviously I don't want to tell my own insurance company because while I am not at fault I feel some black mark will go against my name, and attract a loaded premium on renewal. Could I write a letter to his insurance company? would they even talk to me?

* I am not looking for legal advice, just maybe peoples opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If it were me, i'd tell my own insurance company (you're obliged to do this anyway), and let them sort it out. I take it you have the other drivers' insurance details etc?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You only "get a black mark" if you have a claim against your own insurance policy. Your claims against other policies have no relevance to your existing / future policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I would tell your own insurance company, just to be on the safe side. But let the guy pay cash rather than go through the insurance if that's what he wants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

>Your claims against other policies have no relevance to your existing / future policies

I'm under 25 and male so I just can't believe it won't affect me.

Surely there will be a sufficiently vague question on next years renewal or even a new proposal form from another company to the effect of
    "have you been involved in an accident in the last 5 years"
    although even if I answer yes, once I explain what it was there might not be a loading

I'll get a quote tomorrow from a panel beater and send it to the other driver and see if he wants to settle up with me, I imagine he will want to, to avoid losing his own no claims bonus, however if he doesn't for some reason I will write to his insurance company and let them know, after all this is a metter between two private individuals, my insurance company should play no part (although I will let them know once its a fait accompli because I have to inform them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

vector wrote: »
    The other car was reversing out of his (incorrect double yellow line) parking space. his car is fine.

Hope it works out for you OP. Always inform your insurnace company of any incidents, even minor ones like this. I'd bet if you find your booklet at home, it'll state this. They would prefer to know then to be landed with a suprise counter-claim if the other driver tries something.

Out of interest, I don't think the double-yellow lines mean anything. They are simply used as a guide and to prevent chaos in the shopping centre. But they can't be compared to double-yellow lines like you'd see on a public street.
    The ones in the shopping centre has zero status under Rules of the Road afaik, they are advisory and nothing more

• Advertisement
Advertisement