Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job losses in Architectural offices

• 30-06-2008 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

It's all about recessions in media these days but no mention of job losses on this forum. I survived the last few recessions (emigration) but remember that Architects offices let people go before building workers were let go. Obviously the design is done before the build so the Architects ran out of work while builders were still building.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

6 months + of work ahead of me and no sign of it slowing down coming in.....

but we're a small office and are very mallable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

I know of 1 practice in newbridge which has let a few go recently

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

well [snip] are laying people off to beat the band....I think the number is up to 20 or so 10 were last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

well [snip] are laying people off to beat the band....I think the number is up to 20 or so 10 were last week
    I think its best not to name specific companies. I'm not sure of the legalities of discussion the business of a private company on a public forum, but more importantly, its a small sector and if I was let go I'd rather my dismissal wasn't broadcast about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Heard of 2 let go yesterday. Really begining to sink home, we have about 3 years work in the office but they are big jobs and if one of them gets pulled.............:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Mellor wrote: »
    I think its best not to name specific companies. I'm not sure of the legalities of discussion the business of a private company on a public forum, but more importantly, its a small sector and if I was let go I'd rather my dismissal wasn't broadcast about.

I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I find as a self employed that while I can't let myself go there is less work around and even with the work there is if one or two of those jobs go due to little things like planning or the bank not giving credit etc etc and as for getting paid, pulling hens teeth comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

I've recently hear of some offices stopping overtime, even though the project are running behind and others going on a 3 day week.

Had a consultant yesterday contact me looking for a copy of the request for further information in respect to a planning application so he could respond to same, yet I had only received the RFI earlier in the day. 3 months ago I would have spend weeks chasing him to look at the request never mind respond to it. The guys in the office are experiencing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

and as for getting paid, pulling hens teeth comes to mind
    Same as that No.6. It was like someone tripped a switch about 4 or 5 weeks ago and turned off the money. AND, more annoyingly, the same people who won't pay now are the ones who melted the phone with persistent calls when they were looking for the work to be done in the first place .... frustrating in the extreme :mad: Looking Bleak All round I guess !

Anybody know what our title is for visa applications for Austrailia.. they only seem to have Architects and Architects Assistants on the profesional lists??? Its getting more and more tempting!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

And so it begins!

Please don't give up so easily. Surely you knew being self employed was no cake walk. The only thing wrong with being self employed is that the boss is an assh*le. Everything else you can cope with.

I lived through the last one and we will all get through this one too. The big jobs might be stopped and some commercial works too but the one offs are still going. I know a lot of people going ahead with works now and planning to start works, these are people who either couldn't get or couldn't afford a building contractor 2 or 3 years ago.

Extension works are construction works too, look at the ads sections of your local weekly rags. Extensions are making a comeback.

We are not politicians, Lets not talk ourselves out of work!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

very good point, apologies

I'm not throwing in the towel yet Uncle Tom I'm just assessing my options!!

Good on you, No.6, the profession needs people like you. We'ed be poorer without some spirit.

What about the rest of you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nmg-lky

Thankfully the practice i'm in is still pretty busy, but heard others in the northwest aint so lucky. Mind you can see a slow down on new work coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Garroldy

We now have a Catch 22 situation where building costs are becoming cheaper ( supply outstripping demand ) but the lending insitutions are now getting iffy about lending money, even for house extensions.

It doesn't help that the media are bombarding the public with doom and gloom. Makes everybody jumpy. This too shall pass..........

Garroldy wrote: »
    We now have a Catch 22 situation where building costs are becoming cheaper ( supply outstripping demand ) but the lending insitutions are now getting iffy about lending money, even for house extensions.

It doesn't help that the media are bombarding the public with doom and gloom. Makes everybody jumpy. This too shall pass..........

only problem I can see is that its the arch techs that are going first:(
    Employers keep the Architects and Engineers for the PI and to head the big projects etc. draftsmen and cad technicians are cheap and do all the legwork. Because nobody really knows what we do we seem the most expendable from the executives point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

England was ( more than ) grand for 10 years , but don't want to go back .
    Stay the course folks don't panic

Well said, maybe its a support group we need, not a representation body!

Any chance the admins on boards could pay me a 30K per annum salary to write smart ass answers to legitimate posts?

• Advertisement

I agree Uncle Tom, we have a few representative bodies already, if everybody engages with the and boosts their numbers they will have more teeth and might start to get somewhere, in the mean time we need to stcik together, help each other out when we can and share our general acculumated wisdom (ahem if any!!):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Garroldy

Slig wrote: »
    arch techs are going first.....Employers keep the Architects...for the PI and to head the big projects.....technicians are cheap and do all the legwork. Because nobody really knows what we do we seem the most expendable.

I would say it depends on the practice. I headed a number of large projects, post design stage, while I was employed. Also there were architects and AT's along the way that I wouldn't let manage the building of a garden shed.

An employer would be very foolish to drop staff based on qualification rather than ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

One in the same, my friend.
    Wouldn't a representative body be a support group and a place to share knowledge / experiences?
    Isn't that what we are lacking?
    Lots of bodies but none a perfect fit...

I happen to have a lot of faith in the future of our profession, so much so I've taken on yet another AT full time into our practice only three weeks ago. I agree we need to stick together as a profession (see some of my previous posts). I also agree we need representation (also see some of my previous posts).

I also happen to think we need a sense of humour, it helps in all situations, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Slig wrote: »
    only problem I can see is that its the arch techs that are going first:(
    Employers keep the Architects and Engineers for the PI and to head the big projects etc. draftsmen and cad technicians are cheap and do all the legwork. Because nobody really knows what we do we seem the most expendable from the executives point of view.

Hmm, i'm not sure.
    the idea of cutting staff is not to reduce company numbers, but to reduce payroll.
    In all areas of business, its upper members staff that are most beneficial to lay off. They get paid more, so if somebody can do the same job on a lower salary. I wouldn't think that anyone is safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

In all areas of business, its upper members staff that are most beneficial to lay off. They get paid more, so if somebody can do the same job on a lower salary. I wouldn't think that anyone is safe.

totally agree.employers will be looking for value from their staff.

archtech wrote: »
    totally agree.employers will be looking for value from their staff.
    Look around who's on the lowest pay they're the ones they'll keep... meanwhile I'm going to lay myself off today!!:eek:

I agree its usually about cutting payroll.
    But there are other factors too, like redundancy payment and minimum notice.
    For example a a two year staff member would cost 2 weeks wages for every year served plus an extra week. So older staff could cost more to let go! (Higher wage & longer years with company etc)

Minimum Notice 2 year staff = one week.
    10 year staff = 6 weeks notice!
    You are entitled to compensation if minimum notice isn't given.

Check out www.oasis.gov.ie

Steady on, we are not going back to the 80's! Lets keep a cool head.:cool:

Its ok I found a new job for myself and have taken myself on!! Whats wrong with the 80's RKQ did you not love the new romantics?? Seriously though, I'm not worried about the work currently I've a nice ammount on, I'm worried about how many projects are going to get the chop or put on hold indefinately because the banks are not lending money and then the problem is getting paid for the work you have done!!

• Advertisement

I thought the same but it seems the banks are still lending money!
    And that lending is growing!

It seems our economy is in a good state to "ride" out this blip provided our Government don't do anything silly! Wage talks are extremly imortant for us all. They could decide how bad our economy gets into recession.

So maybe, in mid 2010 we'll be looking back wondering what all the fuss was about! ( Lets drink to that!)

Work is less abundant than last year but its still steady.... thank God the "madness" is gone...

I suppose its actually a good time to build or buy.:D

Advertisement