Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job losses in Architectural offices

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think you are doing the right thing thinking of it a 3 more than zero, (rather than 2 days less)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Sorry to hear that Smashey.
    Things are slow but hopefully we can hang on for another 9 months, maybe see a leveling out or upturn - got to think positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

Over 30 Technician's let go in Waterford in the last few weeks. Where to now for Arch Techs?

Where to now for Arch Techs?
    Six months on and hundreds of posts and finally a Question I can't answer!!!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

sorry to hear that smashey. with a bit of luck it won't be for too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I'm writing this in the hope it might be of benefit to some folk.

When the property boom ended in the UK in the 80s. I emigrated to Thailand. I had been doing volunteer English teaching work there, for 1 to 3 months at a time, for years. I was and am a qualified TEFL Teacher.
    This made it easy for me to make the move. I got a job teaching English at a hotel school on the beach. Low wages but free bungalow and Hotel food.
    I then got a job in a 4 star beach front hotel teaching English. Free room, food, access to all hotel facilities etc.
    While there I studied Hotel mgt. by correspondence from New York college and got a Diploma. I then got promoted to Hotel Training manager.
    I have probably gone into too much detail already but the point is those of you young without mortgages could do this anywhere in the World and have a great experience.
    I spent 8 years in Thailand and ended up marrying one of my students. It was the best experience of my life. I came back here for a year and ended up staying because of the building boom. I returned to my old career of designing and building houses and extensions.
    Frankly, I wasn't enjoying this Building boom anyway and would love to leave for Thailand again. Alas, with 2 kids in school etc. I'm pretty much stuck here.

Good luck to you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Sorry to hear about the job Smashey. Hopefully you'll be back to normal sooner rather than later.

For anyone interested, Australia appears to be slowing down a bit also. One of the largest firms (in Melbourne) have let 45 staff go (out of approx 270). The slow down is nowhere near as dramatic as Ireland, but there is a definate cooling off.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭ConfusedTech

I suppose, just to keep things more positive...

I just arrived back in from a few meetings in Europe through contacts of mine, and managed to pull off a few large jobs, potentially. I will manage the work from here and travel, or maybe leave the country for a year or so. And yes, I do have a mortgage and all of that... In short, there is still work happening and a quick trip outside the box may surprise you guys searching. I will probably have to take on a few guys to assist with this.

It actually shocks me to think that I am writing this.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I just arrived back in from a few meetings in Europe through contacts of mine, and managed to pull off a few large jobs, potentially. I will manage the work from here and travel, or maybe leave the country for a year or so. And yes, I do have a mortgage and all of that... In short, there is still work happening and a quick trip outside the box may surprise you guys searching. I will probably have to take on a few guys to assist with this.

Well done. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

A reason to enjoy a pint tonight, well done;)

Nice to hear some good news for a change!
    Well done ConfusedTech:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Well done indeed Confused Tech and just remember theres a large pool of serious talent posting around here, post any positions here first!!!:D

I promise that I will do. My ex-staff first and then you guys...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭muffler

And dont forget the mods here who have cared for your every need :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I promise that I will do. My ex-staff first and then you guys...

Pick me... Pick me... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Just a happy mid week thought:D.

Passed the dole office on the way into work this morning. I never noticed a queue before today. I think I'll invest in a nice warm jacket before too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Slig wrote: »
    Just a happy mid week thought:D.

Passed the dole office on the way into work this morning. I never noticed a queue before today. I think I'll invest in a nice warm jacket before too long.

If you hear of any decent ones going cheap give us a heads up :D

On a more serious note, we're down to a total of 10 staff (from just over 20 this time last year) and all but 3 of the 10 are on a 3 day week, another redundancy was announced today for a guy here 7 or 8 years, with little work looking likely to emerge in the foreseeable i firmly believe we'll all be claiming the dole once the current work is finished out...

Actually moving along....given the current situation is it even worth firing out CV's etc to Irish firms if you are made redundant in the next few eeks/months as surely theres no one hiring these days?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Believe it or not, people are hiring. They just arent paying for the advertising so it is not as obvious. The guys who are letting go staff are entitled to take people back on again, albeit at lower salaries. Watch the news, magazines and tender sites, and see who are getting the projects, as one large job is guaranteed to get a company that has already reduced to hire again, and there are still projects going ahead.

• Advertisement

Believe it or not, people are hiring. They just arent paying for the advertising so it is not as obvious. The guys who are letting go staff are entitled to take people back on again, albeit at lower salaries. Watch the news, magazines and tender sites, and see who are getting the projects, as one large job is guaranteed to get a company that has already reduced to hire again, and there are still projects going ahead.
    I'd say they aren't paying the Recruitment agencies either, I'm sure most offices are getting lots of CV's in the post these days.

Ya know, all recession doom and gloom aside, it was kinda nice to have one christmas holidays start without having to drive to all the various LAs to lodge the enivetable "has to be in before Christmas" applications.
    It always baffled me why as you are actually giving the public longer to object as the LA christmas holidays arent counted into the time frames.

Anyway we'll see how the new year goes, it is kinda depressing going home today without any of the usual bottles of wine/spirits, hampers or chocolates we would usually get from clients and contractors. I dont think we even got a christmas card this year.

Ya know, all recession doom and gloom aside, it was kinda nice to have one christmas holidays start without having to drive to all the various LAs to lodge the enivetable "has to be in before Christmas" applications.
    It always baffled me why as you are actually giving the public longer to object as the LA christmas holidays arent counted into the time frames.

Anyway we'll see how the new year goes, it is kinda depressing going home today without any of the usual bottles of wine/spirits, hampers or chocolates we would usually get from clients and contractors. I dont think we even got a christmas card this year.
    I got a bottle of scotch yesterday. :)

Slig, You are right. At least we are getting holidays at a reasonable time, and most of us dont have to work up til 12 on Christmas Eve!!! Enjoy it while it lasts, as it will turn back eventually.

You bring up an important point regarding the gifts and wine. I have been giving my better clients of the past years wine and cards this year, as I think that it will be the first year that they will actually notice them, keep them and appreciate them. My hope is that this will come back to me in the form of some work next year. For those practicing on their own, you should use this tactic, as it is the reason that we used to give gifts ten years ago, and now we need to promote ourselves again to our clients. Dont skimp on the promotion when you actually NEED to do it.

I would like to wish you all a Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year. Enjoy your time off and dont worry.

I have been giving my better clients of the past years wine and cards this year, as I think that it will be the first year that they will actually notice them, keep them and appreciate them. My hope is that this will come back to me in the form of some work next year. For those practicing on their own, you should use this tactic, as it is the reason that we used to give gifts ten years ago, and now we need to promote ourselves again to our clients. Dont skimp on the promotion when you actually NEED to do it.

You sure you're not a building contractor..?:D:D

Have a Happy and safe Christmas...

I agree confusedtech, we need to remember all the things we did in the past before the crazy times. Now we need to show appreciation and actually find work. Even small jobs that we might normally turn down.

We can't afford to turn our noise up. Things will get better. Like the old saying "Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice."
    Everyone appreciates being appreciated and if a little gesture helps... then why not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

From the RIAI:

41% of Architects will have lost their jobs by March 2009
    A recent survey projected 41% of architects will have lost their jobs in the period between January 2008 to March 2009. This was according to the survey Architectural Practices Employment Survey commissioned by the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland (RIAI) and conducted by Millward Brown IMS.

Survey findings include:

29% of architects have been made redundant in the last year and based on current patterns; this figure is projected to increase to 41% by March 2009;
    39% of architectural technicians have lost their jobs in the last year and this is projected to increase to 54% by March 2009;
    38% of architectural technicians outside of Dublin will have lost their jobs from January 2008 to March 2009;
    It is projected that the number of practices employing architectural technicians will decrease by 40% by March 2009;
    38% of administrative staff in architectural practices will have been made redundant by March 2009;
    47% of architectural practices reduced their staff in 2008 with only 2% increasing their staff levels.
    Director of the RIAI, John Graby, said, “The institute is working on developing information, education and support services for architects and looking at opportunities for them. The RIAI is looking to Government to assist in developing opportunities for the architectural profession.

"A great deal of expertise has been developed within the Irish Architectural Profession over the last 15 years and Irish architects are among the best in the world at delivering high volume, high quality buildings within very tight time frames. Already foreign countries are looking to Ireland to learn from their experiences. There is a significant opportunity for the Irish government to capitalise on this expertise and use it to promote the knowledge of Irish Architects and the construction sector in the international services market.

Mr Graby continued, “We need to examine best practice. Sustainable design needs to be part of normal practice in the built environment. Architects are at the forefront of delivering on this. If our commitments to preventing climate change are to be delivered on, then how we design and make our buildings is a critical factor and we need to put resources into research to ensure that Ireland is leading the drive in this area”.

42% of RIAI registered practices responded to the survey.

That makes terrifying reading dosn't it, 54% of us architectural technicians gone in the space of a year. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

DOCARCH wrote: »
    From the RIAI:

Director of the RIAI, John Graby, said, “The institute is working on developing information, education and support services for architects and looking at opportunities for them. The RIAI is looking to Government to assist in developing opportunities for the architectural profession.

This is the part of the statement im interested in.

It seems that the RIAI are doing what they should and representing Architects. When will the technicians realise this and start to represent themselves.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    From the RIAI:

41% of Architects will have lost their jobs by March 2009
    A recent survey projected 41% of architects will have lost their jobs in the period between January 2008 to March 2009. This was according to the survey Architectural Practices Employment Survey commissioned by the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland (RIAI) and conducted by Millward Brown IMS.

Survey findings include:

29% of architects have been made redundant in the last year and based on current patterns; this figure is projected to increase to 41% by March 2009;
    39% of architectural technicians have lost their jobs in the last year and this is projected to increase to 54% by March 2009;
    38% of architectural technicians outside of Dublin will have lost their jobs from January 2008 to March 2009;
    It is projected that the number of practices employing architectural technicians will decrease by 40% by March 2009;
    38% of administrative staff in architectural practices will have been made redundant by March 2009;
    47% of architectural practices reduced their staff in 2008 with only 2% increasing their staff levels.

"A great deal of expertise has been developed within the Irish Architectural Profession over the last 15 years and Irish architects are among the best in the world at delivering high volume, high quality buildings within very tight time frames. Already foreign countries are looking to Ireland to learn from their experiences. There is a significant opportunity for the Irish government to capitalise on this expertise and use it to promote the knowledge of Irish Architects and the construction sector in the international services market.

Mr Graby continued, “We need to examine best practice. Sustainable design needs to be part of normal practice in the built environment. Architects are at the forefront of delivering on this. If our commitments to preventing climate change are to be delivered on, then how we design and make our buildings is a critical factor and we need to put resources into research to ensure that Ireland is leading the drive in this area”.

42% of RIAI registered practices responded to the survey.

I was just going to say "phew I'm glad I'm not an architect now" and then I read about the technicians:(.

Still I have my driving test booked for a truck and with a delivery run from sligo to cork on the cards it should actually make me more than I'm earning now, longer hours though

Thats very scary reading.... This is 2009 isn't it or have I just woke up in London in 1989? :confused:
    (I've been here before and it wasn't great the first time!)

• Advertisement

It's week to week now, or job to job I should say. But there was no point in crying about it in the 80's and there's no point in crying now. We've enough work for three weeks, but on the bright side jobs are still coming in. None of us on short time yet, TG.

Friday beers taste sweeter, saturdays off with the kids are nice too. I have lazy sunday's now, god they are good. I remember the lazy warm sunny sundays and I'm looking forward to them this year. I'm also setting veggies with the kids this year for the first time (a couple of acres:eek:). Basically this fu*kin' recession has given me my life back.

As the song goes...always look on the bright side of life.....dum..de....:)

I was just going to say "phew I'm glad I'm not an architect now" and then I read about the technicians:(.

Still I have my driving test booked for a truck and with a delivery run from sligo to cork on the cards it should actually make me more than I'm earning now, longer hours though
    I was looking at a driving job yesterday but it requires a C licence. I only have C1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭thegloriousend

Yikes, scary figures indeed. I'm an architecture student about to graduate my part 1 this year. Who on earth is going to want employ me? Any advice as to how I could possibly increase my chances of getting a job over fellow graduates would be very helpful.. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Yikes, scary figures indeed. I'm an architecture student about to graduate my part 1 this year. Who on earth is going to want employ me? Any advice as to how I could possibly increase my chances of getting a job over fellow graduates would be very helpful.. Any ideas?

I'm in the same situation, I get my degree in architectural technology this year. Seemed a good idea at the time, what a waste of 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Guys , I qualified as an AT in 1985 . Things were bleak - very bleak . I did spend time overeas - ( Oz and Canada appear good at the moment now ).

You have not wasted any time in education . No condition is permenant - good/bad or boom/bust . This economic situation will pass .

I have never regretted becoming an AT ( a challeging and rewarding career ) and neither will you guys , I am sure of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Guys , I qualified as an AT in 1985 . Things were bleak - very bleak . I did spend time overeas - ( Oz and Canada appear good at the moment now ).

You have not wasted any time in education . No condition is permenant - good/bad or boom/bust . This economic situation will pass .

I have never regretted becoming an AT ( a challeging and rewarding career ) and neither will you guys , I am sure of that

If its any comfort to yas.

as a carpenter I have kept bizzy for the last few months on new builds.

there is loads of private builds going on now with peeps talking advantage of the cheaper labour costs.

Clients are also suggesting that planning is easier to get now also

I have dropped my price by 25-30 %

Good morning and Happy New Year to you all. It was good to have a break over the Christmas during which the phone didnt ring!

The figures posted from teh RIAI are really worrying, but expected. I came out of college at the end of the last recession and was lucky to get a job. I worked for pittens and after only 6 months I saw the whole industry change to what it is now, ie I have just lived through a whole cycle. We are back now to the bad ol days, but they will pass. Any of you guys leaving college, please dont think that your time was wasted, as the education you got will put you at the top of the pile for most jobs. You gotta see the other side of life and this is it. Get on with it, and when the industry picks up get back in.

On the thread topic, I have to report there that another large practice in the city just layed off 30 staff, and I hear of two practices gone to a 3 day week. I think that a local job in a shop or something is now the way to go!

Good Luck all...

Oh oh, looks like we're on the way out. Have a meeting with the boss later. Hopefully he'll agree tomoving the work to his house. :o

smashey wrote: »
    Oh oh, looks like we're on the way out. Have a meeting with the boss later. Hopefully he'll agree tomoving the work to his house. :o

Good luck

Yes, Good Luck. I hope that you get on OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Best of Luck Smashey

So we started our meeting about half an hour ago and we got interrupted by a client. How fúcking ironic. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

with a bit of luck they'll have a nice big job for you

What can I say! As Ronan says, 'Life is like a rollerCoaster'!!!

archtech wrote: »
    with a bit of luck they'll have a nice big job for you
    Unlikely, he's most likely in to whinge about something. :D
    What can I say! As Ronan says, 'Life is like a rollerCoaster'!!!
    It sure is.

Fingers and toes crossed... best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mjth2004

smashy mate - best of luck.....

hope it comes good for you!

On a similar note, was talking to a mate in Dubai this morning - 180 let go in the office he is in...crazy times!!

So the boss and the client just left the office and he said he'd be back in a while. He also said earlier that I should go home early this evening due to the freezing conditions up here. I might just feck off now and resume this meeting next week. ;)

/edit - Meeting to be resumed on Tuesday. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Chin up Smashey :)

• Advertisement

Good Luck.

Advertisement