Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job losses in Architectural offices

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

smashey wrote: »
    I'm on a 3 day week from next week. :(

feck!!

these are troubled times..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'm taking the positives out of it. Three days are better than none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

smashey wrote: »
    I'm on a 3 day week from next week. :(
    Will the boss even notice the difference :D

Seriously though Im sorry to hear that

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭ConfusedTech

Smashey, Sorry to hear that. Glad to hear that you are on a 3 day week, as it at least means that your bosses are trying.

I heard last night that one of the big boys let 13 guys go on Friday last and also just talked with a practice of 9 that liquidated last week.

I have seen some light in the past two weeks and got some potentials across the water for Irish clients, so heads up, a few more months and I think that we will find a level. Think outside the box, as the box is now full!!!

Thanks guys (including muffler :p).

I know another practice here in Letterkenny who have laid off eight workers and the rest are on three day weeks as well.

Bummer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Sorry to hear that smashey this recession is going to get to all of us one way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

On a 3 day, after how long? Sorry to hear that.

It's catching us all, I'm nearly full time on accounts right now, trying to spread it over the next few months. I've gotten into waste permit applications, COR's, EPA licence applications, etc., as well.

I'm only here a couple of years but am the only one left.

C'est la vie.

I'll see if my brother will let me loose in his shop for a couple of days a week. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Sorry to hear this. Keep the chin up though.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Smashey - sorry to hear this . Hope 3 turns back to 5 soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think you are doing the right thing thinking of it a 3 more than zero, (rather than 2 days less)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Sorry to hear that Smashey.
    Things are slow but hopefully we can hang on for another 9 months, maybe see a leveling out or upturn - got to think positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

Over 30 Technician's let go in Waterford in the last few weeks. Where to now for Arch Techs?

Where to now for Arch Techs?
    Six months on and hundreds of posts and finally a Question I can't answer!!!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

sorry to hear that smashey. with a bit of luck it won't be for too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I'm writing this in the hope it might be of benefit to some folk.

When the property boom ended in the UK in the 80s. I emigrated to Thailand. I had been doing volunteer English teaching work there, for 1 to 3 months at a time, for years. I was and am a qualified TEFL Teacher.
    This made it easy for me to make the move. I got a job teaching English at a hotel school on the beach. Low wages but free bungalow and Hotel food.
    I then got a job in a 4 star beach front hotel teaching English. Free room, food, access to all hotel facilities etc.
    While there I studied Hotel mgt. by correspondence from New York college and got a Diploma. I then got promoted to Hotel Training manager.
    I have probably gone into too much detail already but the point is those of you young without mortgages could do this anywhere in the World and have a great experience.
    I spent 8 years in Thailand and ended up marrying one of my students. It was the best experience of my life. I came back here for a year and ended up staying because of the building boom. I returned to my old career of designing and building houses and extensions.
    Frankly, I wasn't enjoying this Building boom anyway and would love to leave for Thailand again. Alas, with 2 kids in school etc. I'm pretty much stuck here.

Good luck to you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Sorry to hear about the job Smashey. Hopefully you'll be back to normal sooner rather than later.

For anyone interested, Australia appears to be slowing down a bit also. One of the largest firms (in Melbourne) have let 45 staff go (out of approx 270). The slow down is nowhere near as dramatic as Ireland, but there is a definate cooling off.

I suppose, just to keep things more positive...

I just arrived back in from a few meetings in Europe through contacts of mine, and managed to pull off a few large jobs, potentially. I will manage the work from here and travel, or maybe leave the country for a year or so. And yes, I do have a mortgage and all of that... In short, there is still work happening and a quick trip outside the box may surprise you guys searching. I will probably have to take on a few guys to assist with this.

It actually shocks me to think that I am writing this.......

I just arrived back in from a few meetings in Europe through contacts of mine, and managed to pull off a few large jobs, potentially. I will manage the work from here and travel, or maybe leave the country for a year or so. And yes, I do have a mortgage and all of that... In short, there is still work happening and a quick trip outside the box may surprise you guys searching. I will probably have to take on a few guys to assist with this.

Well done. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

A reason to enjoy a pint tonight, well done;)

Nice to hear some good news for a change!
    Well done ConfusedTech:D

Well done indeed Confused Tech and just remember theres a large pool of serious talent posting around here, post any positions here first!!!:D

I promise that I will do. My ex-staff first and then you guys...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

And dont forget the mods here who have cared for your every need :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I promise that I will do. My ex-staff first and then you guys...

Pick me... Pick me... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Just a happy mid week thought:D.

Passed the dole office on the way into work this morning. I never noticed a queue before today. I think I'll invest in a nice warm jacket before too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Slig wrote: »
    Just a happy mid week thought:D.

Passed the dole office on the way into work this morning. I never noticed a queue before today. I think I'll invest in a nice warm jacket before too long.

If you hear of any decent ones going cheap give us a heads up :D

On a more serious note, we're down to a total of 10 staff (from just over 20 this time last year) and all but 3 of the 10 are on a 3 day week, another redundancy was announced today for a guy here 7 or 8 years, with little work looking likely to emerge in the foreseeable i firmly believe we'll all be claiming the dole once the current work is finished out...

Actually moving along....given the current situation is it even worth firing out CV's etc to Irish firms if you are made redundant in the next few eeks/months as surely theres no one hiring these days?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Believe it or not, people are hiring. They just arent paying for the advertising so it is not as obvious. The guys who are letting go staff are entitled to take people back on again, albeit at lower salaries. Watch the news, magazines and tender sites, and see who are getting the projects, as one large job is guaranteed to get a company that has already reduced to hire again, and there are still projects going ahead.

• Advertisement

Believe it or not, people are hiring. They just arent paying for the advertising so it is not as obvious. The guys who are letting go staff are entitled to take people back on again, albeit at lower salaries. Watch the news, magazines and tender sites, and see who are getting the projects, as one large job is guaranteed to get a company that has already reduced to hire again, and there are still projects going ahead.
    I'd say they aren't paying the Recruitment agencies either, I'm sure most offices are getting lots of CV's in the post these days.

Advertisement