Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job losses in Architectural offices

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

That's unfortunate Slig. A sign of the times. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Sorry to hear that Slig, best of luck with finding new work & fingers crossed those jobs come in & you at least get the contract work sorted.

Reckon i'm not far behind you myself TBH as how we're still going is beyond me.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭ConfusedTech

Sorry to hear that Slig. Heads up, you are in good company. A word of advise, if you allow me. If you sign on at the local dole, you can go off and do a funded course with FAS. (This does not have to be a FAS course). They have a fund of 1200 for each person who signs on. Dont do the BER course though!!! Use this as a time to re-tool yourself if you can. You paid enough tax to allow you the break, and look at it as a break. Best of Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭BAZM8

just landed in the same boat as Slig, so i feel your pain.

ConfusedTech Why would you say to not do the BER course? Whats up with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

BAZM8 wrote: »

ConfusedTech Why would you say to not do the BER course? Whats up with it?

I'll second that comment, why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

just landed in the same boat as Slig, so i feel your pain.
    Sorry about that Baz. It's never ending.

jozi wrote: »
    I'll second that comment, why not?

I decided that I would not put forward anyone from my office for the BER course because everyman and his dog are doing them, so it is easier for me to subcontract it out.

The only people in this Country making money on BER certs, is the BER course provider.

...do a funded course with FAS. (This does not have to be a FAS course). They have a fund of 1200 for each person who signs on..

What's this fund called and where do you find out info on this online. I can see nothing on the FAS website. Info would be much appreciated.

The irony that both your comments come to me as I am installing the DEAP (BER) Software! :) My comment was a bit of tongue and cheek, hence the !!!. There is nothing wrong with the course(s), I have just heard it from the horses mouth (FAS) that a lot of the newly unemployed architects/techicians/engineers are moving over to do BER assessment. That on top of the amount of people I know moving over to doing it suggests that there will be a lot of people out there offering the service. It seems that it is a route that many are looking at. I understand that there will be a big need for people offering teh service, but I think that we are going to have a massive amount of people offering the same service. If you want to sustain yourself over the next two years, you need to think outside the box, and look at niche markets, areas of the industry that other people arent operating in, and ones that wont be saturated.

• Advertisement

I decided that I would not put forward anyone from my office for the BER course because everyman and his dog are doing them, so it is easier for me to subcontract it out.

The only people in this Country making money on BER certs, is the BER course provider.

Unfortunately now some of us don't have an office anymore. While I dont see this as a long term career i may as well be doing some course relevant to my work and would add to the skills i already have (rather than a basket weaving or spanish night course)

BAZ, I am only working through it at the moment. It is a bit murky what the social told me and what FAS are telling me. Basically when made unemployed, you have to go to FAS to retrain, or find a job. The funding per person is 1200 approx and is a combined part of being on the dole, ie you wont find data on it on their site, but find out when you get your interview with FAS, a letter for which is posted to everybody. I have a site with courses on it, but left it at home. Will post it on Monday. The murky part is that it is actually not clear what courses in the country you are allowed to do!

Dont put down basket weaving. I made a very good business out of that when I was in college!!! Baz you are right, do a course relevant, but also remember that you want to get back into the workplace. That is what my comments are really based on. Will the course get you another long term(ish) position, or just leave you in the same position in 6 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Unfortunately now some of us don't have an office anymore. While I dont see this as a long term career i may as well be doing some course relevant to my work and would add to the skills i already have (rather than a basket weaving or spanish night course)

Whats wrong with the spanish night course? I already have my BER assessor cert. Applied for a few of the "assessor" jobs advertised at €35K pa. I have a suspicion that they are franchises though. Still looking but there is absolutely nothing in anything construction related or anything that is entry level. No I've made my decision,

I aint wasting my redundancy on up skilling, I' spending it on something worthwhile. Copious amounts of alcohol on a daily basis.

Not knowing where or when you finished your previous studies, I don't know what to say. However, there are so many people preparing BER certs at the moment, I don't know whether it will advance your job prospects.

I know there was another thread on this forum about further education, so that may shed some light on the situation for you. Maybe set your sights higher on a Masters in Town Planning, Construction Project Management etc. will give you more opportunities when things change. It will also assist you if you decide to travel.

In relation to my office, we are currently just hanging in there!

Slig wrote: »
    I aint wasting my redundancy on up skilling, I' spending it on something worthwhile. Copious amounts of alcohol on a daily basis.

It would be a much better idea if you invited the other posters on this forum along???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Dont put down basket weaving. I made a very good business out of that when I was in college!!! Baz you are right, do a course relevant, but also remember that you want to get back into the workplace. That is what my comments are really based on. Will the course get you another long term(ish) position, or just leave you in the same position in 6 months?

Its very difficult to find anything else that we can do, most of the jobs available require some form of higher education, training or sales experience. I'm trying to get as far away from construction as I can but you'd really be amazed how many knock-on industries it sustains.

The way I see it is:
    I've been pushed off the sinking ship, I can either try to get back on the ship or try get onto one of the packed lifeboats already in the water. The lifeboats might'nt be as comfortable as the ship but they are only until another ship comes along.

(I Wonder do FAS do courses in philosophy?)

Slig, are you just spending it on yourself, or are we invited? My redundancy was turned down! :( Would love a drink!

lifeboats

You're not joining the civil service are you???

Baz, that site is http://www.qualifax.ie/ Good Luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Hows your french? Canada seems fairly OK still.

this might be of use for anyone going to canada

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mr president

thats it now.....9 o clock this morning called into the office and given a months notice :(. 3 months off the two year mark so no redundancy pay. the two other guys in the office cut down to a three day week. well im getting out of here anyway. does anybody know anything about working as an arch tech in new zealand? sorry if that last comment should be in another thread.

Sorry to hear about that mr president.

I'm finishing a 4 weeks fulltime, 4 weeks parttime on wed. Not really looking forward to being on the dole again :(

thats it now.....9 o clock this morning called into the office and given a months notice :(. 3 months off the two year mark so no redundancy pay. the two other guys in the office cut down to a three day week. well im getting out of here anyway. does anybody know anything about working as an arch tech in new zealand? sorry if that last comment should be in another thread.
    Sorry to hear about the position you find yourself in. I have a friend that is working as a Technician in New Zealand and they told me recently that it is slowing down. If you have any specific questions, PM them to me and i will forward them on to my Mate and will let you know the response.

Sorry to hear that guys and best of luck with your search.

Mr President, New Zealand is hitting the same problems as Australia and Europe, and after being there at Christmas, I would suggest, why not. You may not get a technician job, but its a damn good country to be in...

jozi wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about that mr president.

I'm finishing a 4 weeks fulltime, 4 weeks parttime on wed. Not really looking forward to being on the dole again :(
    Sorry to hear that jozi. Best of luck with the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Sorry to hear that Jozi & Mr president.

I've a mate that emigrated to Australia 5 weeks ago - still hasn't found a job! Things haved slowed there. He is happy to do anything now just to work and start earning.

Just make sure you do your homework as this is a world wide recession / depression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

anybody have a guesstimate what % of techs have been laid off so far?

gman2k wrote: »
    anybody have a guesstimate what % of techs have been laid off so far?

based on numbers that were in our office this time last year I would say 75%, but I would say the realistic figure is properly closer to 60% based on the information that I have from lay-offs around here seems to be 2 of every 3 are let go.

By the end of this month it will be about 60%, which is in line with the RIAI figures published last year. (Thats what I think it is. The real figures would be hard to get)

By the end of this month it will be about 60%, which is in line with the RIAI figures published last year. (Thats what I think it is. The real figures would be hard to get)
    60% of what? Is it 500 or 1500 people? What can these people do and as equally importance, what do the ones that are left behind do?

• Advertisement

See my previous posts. I dont know the numbers, but its loads when you consider the constrcution techs, arch techs etc. The Gods honest truth is that you cant even get a job in the new McDOnalds in Ennis, so you need to think outside the box...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Never mind thinking outside the box, keep the box, find a bridge and lo and behold one protable, recycable accomodatation unit!!!:D ( dosent even need a BER cert!!!):D

Lads - Slightly off topic, but may be of interest. I am involved in an Architectural Industry (Non-Profit) Charity Soccer Tournament in Irishtown Stadium, Dublin. It is starting up again in two weeks and they are looking for three more 7 aside teams to make up 12 teams, or guys looking for a team to play on. It is a great place to touch base with Architects in the industry in jobs, out of jobs and near the point of being letting go. I get most of my info there on what is happening around the city, although I havent got a job there yet!!! It is also a great stress relief for all involved, as it seems to be the best part of my week!!!

football wouldn't be my thing but if there are any Basketball games going I might be interested in joining for a few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Three more let off from my former office yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Another one gone in ours, down to 1 Architect, 1 planner, 2 teccies (1 of which is on a 3 day week) & 1 admin, a little bit of work coming in but survival is very much touch & go & will be for quite some time i'd imagine.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Penn

don't know whats going to happen to me. Girl who was on maternity leave would be due back next month. They never got anyone to replace her because work slowed down so much. Now I don't know if a) she's going to come back and they get rid of me cos she's here longer, b) she wants to come back but they keep me cos I have more qualifications than her or c) if she wants to come back at all and I'm worrying over nothing

don't know whats going to happen to me. Girl who was on maternity leave would be due back next month. They never got anyone to replace her because work slowed down so much. Now I don't know if a) she's going to come back and they get rid of me cos she's here longer, b) she wants to come back but they keep me cos I have more qualifications than her or c) if she wants to come back at all and I'm worrying over nothing
    I would say talk to your employer

might do that. I'm pretty sure she's not coming back (one of the other lads was talking to her and said from the way she was talking he doesn't think she wants to come back) but I might just check with them anyway. In case I need to jump into the job hunt early

• Advertisement

Maternity leave, the elephant in the room!!! (Pardon the pun) I am treading carefully on this one and dont want to offend anybody, so pinch of salt. If your colleague has been in the office for over two years, she may be ellgieable for redundancy and may see the oportunity of coming back in these times, to be offered this option. It is possible that she may come back looking for it, although she may want to actually leave because of the baby in the first place. If she comes back, dont be surprised if she seeks to be made redundant, as it is a cash-cow (Pardon the pun again :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭parka

Depends on whether the company paid for her maternity leave. She may still need to work a months notice too. Also, depends on what your contract states (i.e: if you were employed as a replacement for her for the period she was away). The company cannot just make her unemployed and that's an area they don't want to end up in court over. But this is all 'ifs' and 'buts', ask your employer and find out what is going to happen.

parka wrote: »
    Depends on whether the company paid for her maternity leave. She may still need to work a months notice too. Also, depends on what your contract states (i.e: if you were employed as a replacement for her for the period she was away). The company cannot just make her unemployed and that's an area they don't want to end up in court over. But this is all 'ifs' and 'buts', ask your employer and find out what is going to happen.

Nah, I was here for about a month and a half before she went, but I was replacing someone else. No one was hired to replace her cos work slowed down. I'll wait til a bit closer to when she should be returning cos the bosses don't even know if she wants to come back. Cheers all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Hi Everyone

Just an update,
    I will be rejoining the workforce next week, so delighted! Been out of work since November after 12 years with the same firm.
    Wont be returning to the Architectural / Engineering sector but starting in the construction services sector.
    Really looking forward to it, company vehicle, phone, laptop, perks etc. Never had that before.
    So hang in there people its not all bleak out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Well done. Best of luck with new job.;)

best of luck with the new job gpjordanf1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

archtech wrote: »
    best of luck with the new job gpjordanf1
    topcatcbr wrote: »
    Well done. Best of luck with new job.;)

Thanks guys,

It's good to be back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Just an update,
    I will be rejoining the workforce next week, so delighted! Been out of work since November after 12 years with the same firm.
    Wont be returning to the Architectural / Engineering sector but starting in the construction services sector.
    Really looking forward to it, company vehicle, phone, laptop, perks etc. Never had that before.
    That's what's commonly known as a result. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Just an update,

Nice one, welcome back.

I see a little pick up as well, people starting to shake up and move, jobs that were on hold for the last 12 months are starting to move again.

Nice one, welcome back.

I see a little pick up as well, people starting to shake up and move, jobs that were on hold for the last 12 months are starting to move again.

I hope you are right Uncle Tom! Hopefully, we have bottomed out and we can commence the slow crawl back out of the hole that we find ourselves in!

Congratulations. Enjoy it and get the best out of it that you can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement