Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Link Light Problem - Linksys WAG300N...

Options
  • 30-06-2008 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

This falls between Networking & Broadband, so apologies to the mods!

I have a Linksys WAG300N - It's a "Wireless ADSL2+ Gateway"; that is to say it's got a built-in BB modem / router, wireless access point and 4 port switch.

It's working grand with one exception: I can't get as much as a link light off the "Internet" port! I received it off a friend in exchange for a smaller wireless access point which he wanted, so I don't have the documentation. However, I'm 99% certain that the Internet port is a RJ11 port (although RJ45 will fit in there too and it *does* have 8 visible pins on the inside - does that mean anything for certain?).

At the moment, I just have my crappy 5-year old Eircom Netopia modem plugged into one of the ethernet ports and have hardcoded my machines to use it as a gateway. However, I'd like to make use of the PPPoE capabilities of this device if possible. My problem, as described, is that I just can't get a link light on the Internet / DSL port for love nor money. I've tried firmware upgrades, but I just get "incorrect version" errors (it's currently version 1.01.03) when I try this, both through the web access and the separate firmware upgrade app from Linksys.

I've also tried using my netopia modem in bridged modem and ethernetting into the Internet / DSL port, but to no joy. I've confirmed my VC settings, my multiplexing and my encapsulation settings and I'm fairly certain they're all correct. I copied them from the netopia modem, which works perfectly.

Anyone have any suggestions? Could this device just be more sensitive to line noise, etc.? We've a good quality phone line, never had any troubles at all.

Thanks,
    Seán

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

So does the Linksys manage to sync on its own at all, with the Netopia disconnected of course? Any log files you can look at on the router to get an idea what's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Hey ethernet,

No, I don't even get as much as a link light when I plug my phone cable into the WAN / Internet port of the LinkSys. That's what's making it so difficult for me to troubleshoot.

I've read online that there's an Annex A and Annex B of this router, and that B is specifically for ISDN lines. But I don't see anything to indicate that mine is one or the other. *That* might be the reason for my firmware fading, but I've also read that you can inter-swap the firmwares no problem...

Edit: I just enabled the logging there. The following happens when I plug into the WAN port (this is me doing it three times):
    Sat, 2000-01-01 00:59:59 - Router start up

Wed, 2000-01-05 12:38:00 - ADSL G.992 started

Wed, 2000-01-05 12:38:01 - ADSL link down

Wed, 2000-01-05 12:38:06 - ADSL G.992 started

Wed, 2000-01-05 12:38:07 - ADSL link down

Wed, 2000-01-05 12:38:11 - ADSL G.992 started

Wed, 2000-01-05 12:38:13 - ADSL link down

So, that might mean something to any Linksys familiars out there :) I'm off to have a look on Google! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I know nothing about this sort of router! So it does ISDN and ADSL? Snazzy stuff. I realise you've said you've already copied the settings from the Netopia, but I feel the problem lies there. The router (or modem, at least) is hardly bricked from some lighting damage/power spike?

Advertisement