Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

missing D drive

• 30-06-2008 7:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

as the title says, my cd rom seems to have vanished, its gone from "my computer" and it wont auto play cd's anymore, am i doing something incredible stupid??

the device is internal so i dont understand what could have went wrong/!?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

couple of things to check, go to your device manager (right click on my computer, down to properties, then to the tab that says hardware, click the button "device manager" ), now look under dvd/cd-rom drives, see if there's anything listed, or if it has a yellow box next to it. If there's nothing listed there whatsoever your rom drive may have failed, is the tray opening when you press the open button?
    Also there's a chance it could just be a registry problem which can be fixed by changing values. but let me know about the first thing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

the first thing i done was went to device manager but there are no yellow warning signs at all! i dont even think its listed there!

funny thing is that the tray is opening fine! and it was working yesterday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

its not showing up at all? Theres not a little down-pointing arrown next to the device in the device manager or anything? If you can find it, make sure to right click on it and choose Enable..

Next step might be to open up the case and make sure its ribbon cable hasnt fallen loose or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

As overheal said, check to make sure the ribbion cable is connected. check in the bios to ensure that it hasn't been disabled for some odd reason (but as you said it was workin fine).

used to have a similar problem with an xp machine, to get the drive to reappear, you had to alter the registry.

click start, then run, then type "regedit" and hit enter.
    back up your registry first (click file, then export)
    find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM \CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" and in the right hand payne delete UpperFilters and LowerFilters, close and restart.

Most sites seem to recommend doing it with ControlSet00x also (where x is a number).

There's also the chance the the drive is fecked. Can you throw in an operating system boot cd (xp, vista, knoppix etc..) to see if it loads off that on startup? Quickest way to actually test the drive to make sure it's working.

Advertisement