Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

personal issues and mods - f*cked off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

what do you expect?you started bitching about mods on thread.
    wtf do you want??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Nerin wrote: »

Looked more like dragging the thread way off topic to me, a no no in PI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

WTF do I want ? Charming Nerin.

Very constructive & intelligent of you.

Case closed. Lock it, I couldn't be arsed actually.

Mena wrote: »
    Looked more like dragging the thread way off topic to me, a no no in PI.

My first post wasn't dragged off topic, I asked some very valid questions to the OP. Granted I started the post with how I felt with the mods post, but after that, it was valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

tiptap wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055324738&page=2
    Typical, I get a Ban threat from Thea ..
    Some mods just don't have a clue on that forum..
    I suppose this will be locked as well rather something constructive...

The mod whose post you initially had an issue with isn't a mod of that forum, i.e just a normal user in PI. If you had an issue with what they're saying, just report the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

WTF do I want ? Charming Nerin.

Very constructive & intelligent of you.

Case closed. Lock it, I couldn't be arsed actually.
    well, im just asking you a question, one of so many that needs to be answered :rolleyes:

the mods were replying as users, and giving their views,then you expect them to give, what, better advice just because they are mods?
    what is it you want from them?
    bitching about the mods on that thread takes things off topic, which as mena said is a no no. why are you surprised you got told to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

funny-pictures-scary-pelican-looks-at-bucket-theft-suspects.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Your behaviour on that thread, one which someone is looking for advice, is appalling. Don't bicker or berate anyone else whilst someone is asking for help for their serious problem. If you've an issue with someones advice, report the post or contact the mod via pm. In thread is not the place to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

And aren't you lucky you just got a warning and not an infraction or a ban right off the bat.

Posters are expected to read the rules in the charter and abide them and when they don't
    we have to ban them which is a pain in the arse all cos someont things the rules don't apply to them, I didn't have warn you, infact I should not have to warn you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56413937&postcount=13

Is the post that got you warned, it is off topic and not helpful.

And if you really are to lazy to copy and paste my nick then at least use the correct shortened version of Thaed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

the mods were replying as users, and giving their views,then you expect them to give, what, better advice just because they are mods?

Exactly OP. They're moderators and not volunteer counsellors.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Can we ease up on the cat picks folks? Not every thread needs them only a few posts in :)

OP: If you have an issue with how a forum is being run - take it to Feedback. If you have a problem with a mod of a forum - probably better to go to Help Desk, but you may post your issue in Feedback also. The wrong place to do either of the above is on the forum itself - you have been asked nicely to stop and go to Feedback or you will be banned.

Fully support the actions of the moderator, and it complies fully with a general Boards.ie site wide policy.

EDIT: To add to the above. A mod is a volunteer, and not paid to moderate the site. In the posts by the mods in question, they were giving an opinion (which they are entitled to give, within reason of course) and not actually doing any moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As mods, we can't offer advice on every post, and if we do, there's no guarantee that we're "the best".

Why couldn't you have taken a deep breath if you had a problem with something, and then used the "report post" function, sent a PM or taken it to feedback.

We ask people to post in a considered fashion on PI.

Hands up, I made a mistake, I admit..
    You're right, I didn't go through the charter properly and I should have taken it outside the thread in question.

I just get really hot tempered, when such bad advice, horrific actually (And I'll stand my ground on this one) is given when such minute information is at hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

ok just don't do it again.

As for the thread you could have civilly posted your disagreement, I do think it is not as black and white as some people make it out to be and that breaking up a family should never be done lightly and not with out exhausting what ever other possible options.

I just get really hot tempered, when such bad advice, horrific actually (And I'll stand my ground on this one) is given when such minute information is at hand.

A fair point on your part - just please try to post why you disagree in future. More people will understand your point of view as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

... when such bad advice, horrific actually (And I'll stand my ground on this one) is given when such minute information is at hand.

What gives YOU the right to decide if advice is good or bad? Only the OP can decide that. ALL advice is given by people in good faith. Many people offering advice have been through almost ANY situation that comes up.

It's advice. The OP can decide if it's good or bad.

I'm not a mod of that forum. I'm just an ordinary joe soap user when I post there.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    What gives YOU the right to decide if advice is good or bad? Only the OP can decide that. ALL advice is given by people in good faith. Many people offering advice have been through almost ANY situation that comes up.

It's advice. The OP can decide if it's good or bad.

I'm not a mod of that forum. I'm just an ordinary joe soap user when I post there.

I'll tell you why it's bad advice then.
    It's bad advice (purely based now on the OPs original post) because we don't know enough information. Two sides to every coin etc. etc.

As thea pointed out, break ups of marriages with kids should be a last resort until all other avenues are explored.

To give such a serious piece of advice (leave him basically) is just insane, given the information that we have, it's that simple.

What gives me the right, well, I have experience in this subject matter, ALL TOO WELL.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I'll tell you why it's bad advice then.
    It's bad advice (purely based now on the OPs original post) because we don't know enough information. Two sides to every coin etc. etc.

As thea pointed out, break ups of marriages with kids should be a last resort until all other avenues are explored.

To give such a serious piece of advice (leave him basically) is just insane, given the information that we have, it's that simple.

What gives me the right, well, I have experience in this subject matter, ALL TOO WELL.

We can only go on what the poster tells us.

I have experience in that subject matter too, and my advice was the same as everyone elses.

Silverfish wrote: »
    We can only go on what the poster tells us.

I have experience in that subject matter too, and my advice was the same as everyone elses.

Exactly, we can only go on what the poster tells us.
    But do you not think, especially from someone with experience in this area, should go back and ascertain the situation in more detail, rather than just dive in and suggest to get out. That's what's bothering me.

Exactly, we can only go on what the poster tells us.
    But do you not think, especially from someone with experience in this area, should go back and ascertain the situation in more detail, rather than just dive in and suggest to get out. That's what's bothering me.

Opinions Differ on Internet Shocker!

Millions stunned!

"I couldn't believe it' an onlooker commented.
    'They must have had different experiences!' mused a moderator.

More at 11.

• Advertisement

But do you not think, especially from someone with experience in this area, should go back and ascertain the situation in more detail, rather than just dive in and suggest to get out.

Us mods are not all knowing and super-sensitive. We offer advice just like anyone else. We keep law and order and coherence on the forum. The fact that we have a fair bit of life experience between us helps but by no means are we definitive.

Don't be expecting us to be paragons of wisdom - you could be sorely disappointed. Wibbs' advice was short - that is all. Because he is a mod doesn't make it worse.

Opinions Differ on Internet Shocker!

Millions stunned!

"I couldn't believe it' an onlooker commented.
    'They must have had different experiences!' mused a moderator.

More at 11.

How old are you ?

You still don't get it.

How old are you ?

You still don't get it.

No I think you don't.

We (other posters) are as entitled to give an opinion as you are. If you don't like it, add your opinion. Don't start wailing that our advice is 'wrong'. You don't know any more than anyone else.

No I think you don't.

We (other posters) are as entitled to give an opinion as you are. If you don't like it, add your opinion. Don't start wailing that our advice is 'wrong'. You don't know any more than anyone else.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions.
    But the advice is wrong given the information as I've said before, it's that black and white.

To say I don't know more than anyone is just ridiculous. I know more than the average joe about this topic, and admittedly, there are many who have far more knowledge.

But the advice is wrong given the information as I've said before, it's that black and white.

To say I don't know more than anyone is just ridiculous. I know more than the average joe about this topic, and admittedly, there are many who have far more knowledge.

What's to say the other posters aren't amongst those people who have far more knowledge then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

correct

please see your own quote their opinion of how she should act is wrong IN YOUR OPINION it is up to the op to decide

nothing is black and white

PeakOutput wrote: »
    correct

please see your own quote their opinion of how she should act is wrong IN YOUR OPINION it is up to the op to decide

nothing is black and white

I mean black and white in terms of the right thing to say and the wrong thing to say. Not the OPs post been black or white.

What's to say the other posters aren't amongst those people who have far more knowledge then?

Absolutely nothing,
    but it's those people I would be expecting to ask more questions and more details about the OPs problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

But you gave out when someone did.
    From the one paragraph the OP has written, there is no way whatsoever we can advise on her leaving her husband. NO ONE CAN based on that information.
    Oh, and the OP said that the hubbie threatened to kill her. ERM... THIS IS A REASON TO RUN AWAY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I mean black and white in terms of the right thing to say and the wrong thing to say. Not the OPs post been black or white.

so your opinion is right and anyone who thinks different is automatically wrong? computer + keyboard + poster does not an expert make

they gave advice you dont like it, tough thats their opinion all you have in rebuttle is another opinion

see abigayles signature for more info on opinions

edit; i used the word opinion alot in that post huh?

Advertisement