Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

personal issues and mods - f*cked off

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

PeakOutput wrote: »
    so your opinion is right and anyone who thinks different is automatically wrong? computer + keyboard + poster does not an expert make

they gave advice you dont like it, tough thats their opinion all you have in rebuttle is another opinion

see abigayles signature for more info on opinions

edit; i used the word opinion alot in that post huh?

That's your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

PeakOutput wrote: »
    so your opinion is right and anyone who thinks different is automatically wrong? computer + keyboard + poster does not an expert make

they gave advice you dont like it, tough thats their opinion all you have in rebuttle is another opinion

see abigayles signature for more info on opinions

edit; i used the word opinion alot in that post huh?

The advice they gave, yes, it may be correct, what I am trying to put across is the fact that you cannot base that assumption purely on the original post.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK as I saw it, he has a "bad temper" he's already threatened her. She feels trapped and unsupported. She has the financial burden of the entire family. She has already asked to sit down with him and discussed it and he has refused. She feels sick with the tension and responsibility of the whole thing. etc. The bad temper is enough as far as I'm concerned. It's no good for her, for the kids or indeed him.

So my short and sweet answer was leave. Doesn't mean she can't go back if things improve and he actually mans up and gets help for whatever ails him and acts like a husband and more to the point a father to his kids. If it turns out she's winding him up or he's depressed and they both get help then fine, but something has to happen or I'll bet the farm that this will get worse not better. A genuine move to leave the marriage and status quo could well be the best action so that's how I put it short and sweet.

It's an opinion and an option and can be taken or not taken as either. I further added the codicil that better counsel would surely come along. Indeed put it in first. It seems better counsel did come along.

In any case I was posting as a fellow user, not a mod. In any event mods aren't experts. Don't claim to be. I certainly don't. Mods are only there to keep things on an even keel. Sometimes fail in that too. Last time I looked my water into wine abilities were sorely lacking, mores the pity.

Users and indeed that entire forum is ther purely to get a different opinion. Nothing more. Could be a wrong one, could be a right one. 99% of the time people in difficulties are advised rightly to seek professional help.

If my rantings help. Coolaboola, if they can't or cause offence then that's what the system of feedback or PM's is there for.

I'll also call mea culpa if need be too. Have in the past(did do yesterday in fact) will doubtless do so in the future.

So then you get your knickers in a bunch which is cool too by the way but rather than actually read the rules of the forum which is at the top of each and every forum and take it either to PM or to feedback, you derail the thread. Hence your warning, not because you disagree with me or anyone else.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

I'd say Wibbs posted to give a response to a person in trouble, to let them know there's advice on the way.

There's nothing wrong with that really, at least it says that the post is being read and thought about.

Wibbs is usually on the money about these things and if the OP is prepared to lay out their problem here, they should expect a variety of replies and use their own judgement from there on.

My two cents anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,229 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sully wrote: »
    Can we ease up on the cat picks folks? Not every thread needs them only a few posts in

NEVER!

funny-pictures-color-blind-cat-rubiks-cube.jpg
    tiptap wrote: »
    I'll tell you why it's bad advice then.
    It's bad advice (purely based now on the OPs original post) because we don't know enough information. Two sides to every coin etc. etc.

As Thaed pointed out, break ups of marriages with kids should be a last resort until all other avenues are explored.

To give such a serious piece of advice (leave him basically) is just insane, given the information that we have, it's that simple.

What gives me the right, well, I have experience in this subject matter, ALL TOO WELL.

fixed it for you.

Anyway, there is probably thousands of replies in PI that would be considered the wrong answer, irrelevant, or crap. Im sure Im responsible for a few, as is just about anyone that posts in there. You can't be right all the time.

The difference is not everyone jumps on someone's back for not advising any better than we do. If we did, nobody would want to post in there at all, and the OPs in there would be left high and dry. Instead, try to ignore the person in question and provide your own take: more often than not good posting is well praised in PI. I think its a much better system than flaming the rest of the posts/posters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

You weren't banned because your advice was bull****, though your advice was bull****.

You were banned because you posted yapping about mods that was irrelevant. That whining was also bull****, but that's not the point.

You appear to be hard of thinking. Maybe you should see if you can get people to talk louder or something.

Talliesin wrote: »
    You weren't banned because your advice was bull****, though your advice was bull****.

You were banned because you posted yapping about mods that was irrelevant. That whining was also bull****, but that's not the point.

You appear to be hard of thinking. Maybe you should see if you can get people to talk louder or something.

I'm well aware of what I was banned for now, but thanks for reiterating the point, it's much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Your not even fúcking banned you gloomp.

Thaedydal wrote: »

lol, sorry, I meant I'm aware of why I was slapped !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good God Sir, now you're looking for slaps. Glutton for punishment.:D

Ah sure alls well etc. Hopefully anyway the OP in the thread in question gets the support she and her family needs wherever it comes from.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

tiptap wrote: »
    I just get really hot tempered
    Why is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

kyub wrote: »
    funny-pictures-scary-pelican-looks-at-bucket-theft-suspects.jpg
    Overheal wrote:
    funny-pictures-color-blind-cat-rubiks-cube.jpg

LOL even by Feedback standards, those are extremely random pics! Kudos to ye! :D

OP I agree with most of what other people are saying. Being a Mod doesn't mean their advice is worth more than regular users. They offered their opinion based on the information that woman gave in her original post - which is all they had to go by.
    Your opinion is different but that doesn't mean it's right.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Thaedydal wrote: »

Why isn't he banned? He damn well should be and you're going soft in your auld age!

tiptap
    You're lucky that I didn't get there before Thaed, I have zero tolerance for behaviour like that and would have banned you straight off.

You're not even banned, yet here you are with a thread in feedback whinging.
    You admit to not even reading the charter.
    Posters like you are not welcome in PI and I'll be keeping an eye on you from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I'll be keeping an eye on you from now on.

Be Afriad.

Be Very Afriad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You can be afraid too if you like. When you're done being ah-free-ad.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why isn't he banned? He damn well should be and you're going soft in your auld age!

The kids got their summer holidays, we made rice crispie cakes and had icecream....

I ran outta gas! I had a flat tire! I didn't have enough money for cab fare! My tux didn't come back from the cleaners! An old friend came in from outta town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts!! It wasn't my fault I swear to God!!!

He's a noob and he did get infracted.
    You're not even banned, yet here you are with a thread in feedback whinging.
    You admit to not even reading the charter.
    Posters like you are not welcome in PI and I'll be keeping an eye on you from now on.

Crap I am going to have to ban 10 people today to make this up to you amn't I ?

The way I personally look at is this. It's PI, it's strict for obvious reasons. It's both a bitch and a pleasure to moderate because of that. I'm also glad there are a load of mods on the forum too.

The odd laugh or off topic stuff is grand IMHO and tbh personally there are times I would let things go, where others may start handing out warnings. I've been warned there in the past myself(maybe even banned IIRC), but if it's extreme like this case, or clearly someone hasn't read the charter, or someone is consistently taking the píss then my latitude goes out the window.

Again personally I'd try to engineer in a pop up for newbies (and others) that said in no uncertain terms, "read the bloody charter".

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread made me remember this gem:

duty_calls.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Tiptap, just walk away from that forum. it gets an awful awful lot worse.

Just walk away, dude. it's all you can do.

• Advertisement

Good advice. If you don't like it, don't come back. Simple.

Im begining to think that between Beruthiel and Thaedydal I have a lot to be afraid of these days :confused:

...not that Wibbs is soft or nothin :p but those wimmins scare me to no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Overheal wrote: »
    Im begining to think that between Beruthiel and Thaedydal I have a lot to be afraid of these days :confused:
    Beruthiel and Thaedydal are lovely.
    ...not that Wibbs is soft or nothin :p but those wimmins scare me to no end.
    Wibbs is lovely too. Just not as lovely as Beruthiel and Thaedydal.

yea but they're lovely in a scary way o____o

just look at those avatars. Always staring. always judging.

rofl at you thinking Thaed is scary.

DesF wrote: »
    rofl at you thinking Thaed is scary.

Thats how she gets you man. She's an Erotic Assassin in disguise.

I mean cmon: Theadydal? LadyDeaht? You gotta keep on your toes for that shít. Stay away from the mirror!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Im begining to think that between Beruthiel and Thaedydal I have a lot to be afraid of these days.

Only if you step out of line.
    /cracks whip

Only if you step out of line.
    /cracks whip

you see this shít? Im always under the wire :pac:

of course Beruthiel doesnt need the erotic assassin look: she can be terrifying with her firebolt-shooting eyes and her whip of doom. I dare you to look that avatar in the eye without feeling a chill down your spine :eek: so i have to deal with stealth-death on one side and in your face Overkill Doom on the other.

Victory is impossible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Wibbs makes me feel funny in my special place.

• Advertisement

Well Holy God.... :D

Advertisement