Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cropping ears in Ireland

Options
  • 30-06-2008 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

This goes on. A vet in the West of Ireland did it for my some dude's dobbie who was doing work in my house. I used to think some dogs had to have their tails done, now I know differently, however I always knew cropping the ears was pure wrong.

Mods, if this is going to blow up please remove, I just wanted to point out that there are unscrupulous vets out there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm surprised that a legit Vets practice would carry out this practice, are you sure its not done by idiots out their backyards?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Mairt wrote: »
    I'm surprised that a legit Vets practice would carry out this practice, are you sure its not done by idiots out their backyards?.

No, this fella rang every vet until he found one. Don't want to say where as there is some numbnut on here looking to get his dog done, I quote...

"doberman was started to breed in germany and he had to be with ers copped and no tail,thats why its called doberman"

Obviously a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Be careful now. I have locked one thread already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

It's a disgusting practice - BUT having said that, if they're going to get it done, I'd rather see it done in a vets than in someones back yard ... not condonding it at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I'm pretty sure that ear cropping is against veterinary council (or whatever it is called) regulations and it would be worth reporting the vet to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Just curious ...

Is there a specific reason why the ears were traditionally cropped ? (except for the ears to stand instead of being floppy) ?
    How much of the ear has to be cropped for this operation ?

I know nothing about these dogs and am just wondering.

Thanks - ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

From what I can gather, there was less bits that could get bitten in a scrap when the ears were cropped.

Totally irrelevant today..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I always had the impression it was done for purely cosmetic reasons, that is, to make the dog look more intimidating to would be intruders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

Link about ear cropping.

http://www.briarleabouvier.com/ear_cropping.htm

Found this on net interesting to see how many few countries have banned ear cropping but choose to "discourage" it instead:
    The information below has been researched and found in various articles, news releases, government statements, etc, on the internet. This information we believe to be accurate, but in no way can we guarantee 100% authenticity.

Countries where cropping ears is banned:
    Australia, Ireland, New Zealand , Singapore , Turkey, Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Ear cropping has been prohibited by the European Convention for the Protection of Pet Animals and strongly discouraged by a number of national veterinary associations in Argentina, Canada, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Estonia, France, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Malaysia,. New Zealand, Poland, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, and Uruguay.

Countries where docking tails is banned:
    France, Hungary, Italy, England - From April 6th, 2007 cosmetic tail docking will be illegal in England with the exception of certified working dogs. Scotland - In Scotland there will be a total ban on tail docking with no exemptions from the 30th of April. Any breeder who transfers puppies across the border to be docked will face a £5,000 ($10,000) fine or 6 months in jail. Wales - A ban is already being enforced in Wales since 27th of March, and a date has yet to be set for Northern Ireland

Countries where both procedures are banned:
    Australia, Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Israel, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland, South Africa, Virgin Islands, Italian Cities of Turin and Rome.

source: http://miniatureschnauzer.ca/breedinfo.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ValerieR wrote: »
    Just curious ...

Is there a specific reason why the ears were traditionally cropped ? (except for the ears to stand instead of being floppy) ?
    How much of the ear has to be cropped for this operation ?

I know nothing about these dogs and am just wondering.

Thanks - ValerieR

Herr Dobermann (the "inventor" of the breed of the same name) was a tax collector / bailiff by profession.

He wanted and bred a dog that was as intimidating as possible while not being overly heavy, so that the dog would have the energy to follow him on his rounds all day and the appearance to make his "customers" pay just that bit quicker.

Floppy ears and a waggy tail don't quite convey the necessary menace, do they?

So he created a breed of large, strong, athletic, black dogs and cut the offending bits off ...simple as that.

But that was 1800 something or another

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

peasant wrote: »
    But that was 1800 something or another

Unfortunetely some people haven't even evolved thus far yet!.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Thank you all for the interesting information! :-)

ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

That is bad .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I have a query, I have a Cocker Spaniel with a cropped tail (I didn't do it, it was cropped when I got her) Is this really frowned on? It just seems most Cockers I see have cropped tails, is it done for a genuine reason or just for appearances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Re the banned tail docking in england/wales/scotland, does this include boxers/dobies/rotties etc that are docked just for cosmetic reasons? would be great to see the natural tails of these dogs!

It's terrible to "adjust" (mutilate) a dog in any way for cosmetic reasons. How are dogs supposed to communicate without a tail? It must affect the way they communicate with other dogs and even make it more difficult for people to tell what they are feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jenjo23

My cocker spaniel and my mams cocker spaniels tails are both docked (i don't like it). It's not banned in Ireland

The reason it's done historically on cockers was to prevent injury when they ran through heavy overgrowth while flushing game but now I think it is just done for show!

I've never seen a cocker without a docked tail though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

That's interesting, I never though of that. My cockers is cropped at about 3 inches, so it is a bit funny looking, if they were going to leave that much of it, they should have just left the whole tail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jenjo23

I'd love if my little guy had a full tail....we've a collie/lab x and I love the sound of her tail hitting off the floor in excitement as your coming towards her!!

He still has a little tail though and it's funny to see it go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I recently seen a rottie with a full tail takes time to get use to but I thought it looked natural and well.

The only reasons I'm aware a tail is removed for medical reasons is injury and a condition called happy tail were they repetitively knock their tail of objects when wagging it obsessively causing them selfs injuries and infections.

I like to see my dogs ears move about when I'm taking to them makes them seem like they understand what I am saying to them and gives them Caricature as well? they look funny at times to :D and a wagging tail to tell me their happy to see me just makes me smile :).

Advertisement