Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing machine outer plastic drum

Options
  • 30-06-2008 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Washing machine (1.5 yrs old) is leaking. Found out problem is a hole in the outer plastic drum. Is there any material that is durable enough to patch this or is it a new machine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

That's really unusual. Any idea what caused it or a pic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 4bugny

I think something must have got caught between the inner and outer drum, its like something pierced it. There is still a 'tag' of plastic holding on but you can put your finger through the hole. Its on the bottom right hand side of the drum.

You'd probably need to take the machine apart to make sure that whatever pierced it is removed so it can't happen again. You could price a replacement part at that stage, biggest cost would be the labour, I would guess.

It is possible that you could use something like isopon on it allowing a little extra both inside and outside the hole, assuming there is space. I wouldn't like to give a guarantee against a flood with this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 4bugny

The OH is fairly handy, could a replacement drum be a DIY job or is it too finicky?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What make is the machine?

Most machines have 5 year parts warranty (you still need to pay for labour of their repairman)

• Advertisement

byte wrote: »
    What make is the machine?

Most machines have 5 year parts warranty (you still need to pay for labour of their repairman)

Only problem with that byte is that the labour is probably someting like 2 hrs + callout. Maybe 150-200 Euro?. You'd nearly be better with a new machine.
    I recently replaced the bearing in a 2 year old machine. Bearings + seal cost €18. The amount of work was unreal so I wouldn't like to have been paying for it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Avns1s wrote: »
    Only problem with that byte is that the labour is probably someting like 2 hrs + callout. Maybe 150-200 Euro?. You'd nearly be better with a new machine.
    I recently replaced the bearing in a 2 year old machine. Bearings + seal cost €18. The amount of work was unreal so I wouldn't like to have been paying for it.
    Fair point, though I believe there's a fixed price of 120EUR or something with Indesit Group (Indesit, Hotpoint, Ariston, etc), regardless of time involved.

byte wrote: »
    Fair point, though I believe there's a fixed price of 120EUR or something with Indesit Group (Indesit, Hotpoint, Ariston, etc), regardless of time involved.

That would make sense. I didn't know there was a ceiling. I know for to replace the bearings, the whole machine was assunder! It would be exactly the same amount of work to get the drum out, repair / replace and rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

4bugny wrote: »
    Washing machine (1.5 yrs old) is leaking. Found out problem is a hole in the outer plastic drum. Is there any material that is durable enough to patch this or is it a new machine?

If you managed to find/remove what damaged the drum, you could always patch it up with fiberglass mat and resin... that stuff will stick to any sort of plastic... make sure to put a few layers of mat in, on both sides and wet right trough with the resin....

I've done lots of repairs with that stuff and they all worked out 100%...

Advertisement