Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Handling Nerves

Options
  • 30-06-2008 8:34pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

have my test tomorrow and I'm pretty confident given I've had plenty of lessons and am comfortable with the manouveres and general driving.

What I fear may be a problem are nerves.

Do people find that any nerves tend to go away after the first few mins or not?

Are there any specific tips for dealing with nerves,

Also thanks to everyone who posted up helpful comments over the last few months i've read most of them.

Only hope I don't get pulled over for driving unaccompanied on route to the test :) (must try and persuade someone from work to come with me)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Everyone gets nervous come test time, it's only natural so you're not alone on that one;). I found that all the nerves left me when i sat in the car, and i just said to myself, "i just have to give it my best shot and go for it". I just stayed focused and tried to remember all the advise i had been given by my instructor. You'll be grand, you seem confident of your abilities, just go for it. Best of luck tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I have my test tomorrow too! eek!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Pythia wrote: »
    I have my test tomorrow too! eek!

Best of luck! Nothing like having a test on the first day the new regulations come in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Miss_Moneypenny

Hi Adrian
    I passed my test a few weeks ago. My brother gave me some advice that I found useful. He said to just forget about trying to "show the tester" what you think he is looking for and just drive the car. He also said that you need to drive the car like you are in charge and not him. I said to myself that I am in control of the car and this situation, he is just dictating a route to me. And I kept thinking "safe and in control" and I found that helped. BTW I get extremely anxious before exams and it was my 3rd attempt! Anyway the best of luck with your test:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

adrian522 wrote: »
    Do people find that any nerves tend to go away after the first few mins or not?
    I've sat in that lonely waiting room about nine times (different categories) which is more than most and it doesn't get any easier. I was more nervous and anxious doing the last test (for a motorcycle) than any of the others which is a bit silly because I have no interest in motorcycles and didn't need the licence.

I know that's not what you want to hear but in my experience, any anxiety I had, always left as soon as I started that engine. Good luck! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement