Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Years of Irish BB Today (and 20mbits Entry Level)

Options
  • 30-06-2008 8:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Only in Dungarvan .

I make it that Casey Cablevision launched their broadband service on About the 1st of July 1998 and if they won't make a fuss about it then I think we should do so around here .

Dungarvan was the first town in Ireland with widely available Broadband although Malahide and Swords had a bit and Tallaght got some in 1999 or 2000 . All of these were Cable BB. About 10 people in Limerick had Wireless from Chorus.

Other areas had to wait until 2002 or so when ADSL was launched . Many areas still have nothing bar satellite :(

Not only that but Dungarvan has consistently had the best entry level uncapped Broadband in the country . It still does at 20 mbits.

Furthermore there was no fannying around with 'upgrades' , it was universally available to all from day 1 in June or July 1998.

Dungarvan led the country with entry level 256k , 1mbit 2mbits then 9mbits since about 2003 and now with entry level 20mbit Broadband.

http://www.cablesurf.com/index.shtml

Lets celebrate doing things right , all 10 years of it.

The rest of us can but dream since Bertie sold it off on our behalf :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Damn you Dungarvan residents!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

have you any connections to cable surf?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Everything in that post is a simple fact Ruggiebear . I dare you to prove otherwise !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Fair play to them.

Their current web site looks about 10 years old though. Rather amazingly their web site doesn't even say who their service is available to, or how to get it. :eek:

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Everything in that post is a simple fact Ruggiebear . I dare you to prove otherwise !!!!
    i don't doubt it.

have you any connections to that company?

• Advertisement

RuggieBear wrote: »
    i don't doubt it.

Thank you .

Would the facts be any different if I did have a connection to Casey Cablevision ???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Cablesurfs Broadband is indeed uncapped atleast based on anyone I know thats used it to download several hundred gigs a month.

While I don't know 100% that cablesurf have been offering broadband for 10 years I know for a fact its been offering it for atleast 8 years, I also have no connection with cablesurf other then people I've worked with who have used the service

Cabaal wrote: »
    While I don't know 100% that cablesurf have been offering broadband for 10 years I know for a fact its been offering it for atleast 8 years,

I linked a December 1998 archive.org trawl in the OP but I distinctly recall a June or July launch . So that would prove 1998 and I trust some regular will nail the month down.

<edit>June 29th 1998 10 years (and a day late) soz :)

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/1998/06/29/ihead.htm
    Mr Casey said the ability to deliver internet access in this new and exciting way is a first for Ireland, and places Dungarvan in the unique position of being able to offer a service that no other town or city in the country can.

Mr Casey was quite right ! and I have no connection to Caseys, not even a thank you for all the nice things I said about them over the years :(

Thank you .

Would the facts be any different if I did have a connection to Casey Cablevision ???

you'd be a simple shill then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

RuggieBear, to be honest I don't see Sponge Bob as a shill, in fairness its not like he can really promote CaseyCables's offering as only people in Dungarvan can get it...unless people are willing to move their to get broadband from them its hardly advertising

Caseycable set a high level for others to follow which only recently is being reached for the average home user (UPC's new offering), its worth highlighting just how far behind the main telco's are.

Anyway, just to save people scrolling that link
    http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/1998/06/29/ihead.htm
    High speed internet system
    puts town on information map

by John Murphy
    A REVOLUTIONARY high speed internet access system which has been launched in Dungarvan by a local company, is set to put the Co. Waterford town firmly on the information super highway map.
    Making use of cutting-edge, fibre-optic technology, the CableSurf system has been devised by Casey Cablevision Ltd. and puts Dungarvan in the hugely advantageous position of being one of only a few elite towns and cities worldwide with similar services.
    Dungarvan is the first town in Ireland in which the two-way cable internet service will be deployed, and inevitably this will make it a more attractive proposition for future investment.
    While the traditional internet access system generally relies on the telephone, the new CableSurf system involves the installation of a cable modem which is then connected by Casey Cablevision to a subscriber's computer. This will enable the customer to use the cable system which heretofore was generally thought of for delivering TV and radio channels only. It will also enable them to surf the internet at high speed and read their email without ever having to use their telephone.
    Customers can remain connected 24 hours a day and, even more attractively, access to the CableSurf service is for a fixed monthly fee of just £25.
    Speaking at the official launch of the new system, Pat Casey of Casey Cablevision Ltd. said that since the internet system was born in the US a decade ago it has grown at a phenomenal rate, and today is a giant network linking people all over the world.
    "It's not long ago'', said Mr Casey, "that the only source of information was a book or a newspaper, and today we have every book and library at our fingertips''.
    Mr Casey said the problem with the 'traditional' internet system is that once you start using the internet a subscriber's telephone line is tied up and charges start accumulating as long as you are connected — just like any phone call. However their new CableSurf system changes all that.
    "Dungarvan,'' he went on, "is in the unique position of being completely ringed with fibre optic cable, and its ability to carry incredible volumes of information makes it the perfect conduit for the internet.
    "Two-way access to the internet will now be achieved through the cable that normally delivers TV, so your phone line isn't tied up at all. That access is available 24 hours a day, so if you want to check out the latest news from Los Angeles all you need do is select the web site for the Los Angeles Times and all the information is there.''
    Mr Casey said the ability to deliver internet access in this new and exciting way is a first for Ireland, and places Dungarvan in the unique position of being able to offer a service that no other town or city in the country can.

• Advertisement

To put it in perspective, most Irish towns the size of Dungarvan had no BB at all until 2005 .

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I think Mossy monk can verify all of the above. To the best of my knowledge, he is using Casey cablevision for his BB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

RuggieBear wrote: »
    you'd be a simple shill then.

Ruggie,

The Dungarvan Cable network is one of the most advanced in Europe. Another fact. It's a system most operators dream of, but can't afford. And it didn't just start with broadband. In 1979 they built the then-longest cable tv line in Europe (16 miles). It was only superceded when Cork Communications built the world's longest line (60 miles) in the early 80s.

The Caseys have always been - and remain - at the forefront of Irish technology. Give credit where it's due Ruggie. We're very quick to slag off our own and here's a home-grown success story.

Take a bow Casey TV - you drserve it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I think Mossy monk can verify all of the above. To the best of my knowledge, he is using Casey cablevision for his BB

I knew I'd seen this before.. !

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56412157&postcount=499

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Ironically, I moved out of Dungarvan very shortly before that and moaned about not being able to get broadband for nearly five years afterwards :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

It's a shame Mr Casey didn't have the money to spread to a few other towns.

It's always struck me that in the few years I've been on boards, that hardly any boards users have mentioned Cabelsurf!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I don't really know much about the company except wishing I could get them in the late 90's but does anyone know why its specifically Dungarvin and why they have never tried rolling it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

Jesus, lighten up, ruggie.

Well done, Cablesurf.... though your homepage does seem to crash firefox 3, for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Jilm wrote: »
    Jesus, lighten up, ruggie.

Well done, Cablesurf.... though your homepage does seem to crash firefox 3, for me anyway.

Same here on ff3

No bother with my FF3 here but I do use NoScript at all times .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

No bother with my FF3 here but I do use NoScript at all times .
    Yeah, the ticker causes ff3 to crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Well done Mr. Casey sir.
    Then you have Crossan cable in Longford town doing BB for a while now and bangin out 9 meg since last year sometime. Another small outfit.
    I think Mr Casey is involved there aswell iirc.

apologies SpongeBob, if you see the amount of posts that sound like that that i have to delete...:(

Great to see that small towns in ireland have had proper broadband for 10 years from forward thinking suppliers and it took me over 6 months to get BB in Dublin 2 only a year or two ago

Come to think of it I cannot ever recall someone from Caseys posting on this Boards, ever.

The best service in Ireland , the first one to mark 10 years and NO PIMPAGE in all that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Er occasionally at least one user has boasted ...
    (Mossy Monk, But we forgive him :) )

But I've never seen any Pimpage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I seem to remember one or two posting a couple of years or so ago.

10 Years of No Pimpage on Boards ANOTHER RECORD FOR CASEYS .

I hope that NBB have taken note , they were pimping their 2 way sat on Boards before they even launched the service , for shame :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Jilm wrote: »
    Yeah, the ticker causes ff3 to crash.
    fine on mine

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Dungarvan ftw! I would think that one big reason why they didn't roll out in other towns is the wanky cable licensing system we have in Ireland, where particular operators 'own' particular areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

That's mostly gone now.

Advertisement