Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question on benefits of hosting in Ireland.

Options
  • 30-06-2008 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi,
    I don't really know where to put this question as the Web Hosting forum is locked.

I'm setting up a .com website for my band who are based in Ireland.
    I read before that it would benefit us in terms of search results within ireland if we chose a web host that is based in Ireland.

Can anyone confirm what the benefits are as I'm weighing up hosting it in Ireland or hosting it with GoDaddy....GoDaddy are cheaper for a much better package...

can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Namesco wrote: »
    In before the lock(Always wanted to do that)
    This one's a fairly generic question though. No need to bring specific providers into it. (I would think).

Anywho... I'm pretty sure that Google.ie (as opposed to google.com or google.co.uk, etc.) favours sites that are hosted on Irish servers, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Your right it is fairly generic,

From experience I registered a .com and .ie both with a Irish host and the .com got listed with google very quickly but I'm waiting for the ie to get indexed(both a mirror site of each other and the same name)

I don't know if it makes any difference and I haven't seen any proof to say it's better to have an Irish host but I find the Irish hosts on shared hosting don't overload the servers with websites and your website will have better performance with an Irish host, and uploading websites and large files the Irish hosts leave an American host miles behind in speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Goodshape wrote:
    This one's a fairly generic question though. No need to bring specific providers into it. (I would think).
    I'm willing to leave it open, but will be keeping a close eye on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The question is whether the site will show up "better" when someone clicks "pages from Ireland" on the Google page.

In order to be included in this, it needs to be EITHER

1) a .ie address

OR

2) hosted in Ireland

Either of the 2 will do, and I don't think there's any additional benefits to using one over the other, or having both.

But since you already have a .com address, you'll need to host it in Ireland in order to appear in that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Irish based hosting providers ie. ones with their own servers etc., are unlikely to conduct maintenance during office hours Irish time

Local support using proper phone lines

Senior staff on duty during office hours

Just to name a few things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

I used to host all my sites in the US - mainly to do with the cost thing. Recently though Ive transferred quite a few of them to Irish Hosts. Have noticed big differences in search related visitors from google.ie

Irish sites hosted in Ireland get indexed a lot quicker and easier than irish sites hosted abroad. Lots of people use google.ie now instead of google.co.uk, google.com etc.

I would agree with the benefits that Blacknight said - especially support which is a big advantage.

Also some mentioned having a mirrored .ie and .com site - Generally speaking this is bad as Google sees these as two separate site with duplicate content and therefore will penalise both - Best option is to use a 301 redirect on one of the domains and redirect it to the other.

Advertisement