Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Broadband (BT DSL)

Options
  • 30-06-2008 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have noticed that my fathers DSL broadband has gone to the dogs since I was last there.

It is almost dialup speeds. Youtubes have to be paused and returned to several minutes later, pages take ages to load, etc, etc.

Ping to boards:
    64 bytes from 89.234.66.107: icmp_seq=118 ttl=59 time=613.607 ms
    64 bytes from 89.234.66.107: icmp_seq=119 ttl=59 time=739.671 ms
    64 bytes from 89.234.66.107: icmp_seq=121 ttl=59 time=479.519 ms
    64 bytes from 89.234.66.107: icmp_seq=122 ttl=59 time=45.564 ms
    64 bytes from 89.234.66.107: icmp_seq=124 ttl=59 time=344.818 ms
    64 bytes from 89.234.66.107: icmp_seq=126 ttl=59 time=596.409 ms

--- www.boards.ie ping statistics ---
    127 packets transmitted, 107 packets received, 15% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 44.994/394.612/755.964/202.874 ms

I'd do a speedtest.net but the site is taking too long to load!

Anyone have theories, or things to try before I go on a rant to BT.

Based in Oranmore, Galway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Hi

I have noticed that my fathers DSL broadband has gone to the dogs since I was last there.

It is almost dialup speeds. Youtubes have to be paused and returned to several minutes later, pages take ages to load, etc, etc.

Ping to boards:

I'd do a speedtest.net but the site is taking too long to load!

Anyone have theories, or things to try before I go on a rant to BT.

Based in Oranmore, Galway.

Before you go ranting make sure its nothing on PC that maybe causing this. Also try a tracert and post that back up & get the broadband line stats from the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

throttled by BT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

http://www.speedtest.net/result/290362931.png - Speed Test results.

Traceroute to boards:
    traceroute www.boards.ie
    traceroute to www.boards.ie (89.234.66.107), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets
    1 ip-89-234-66-107.dedi.digiweb.ie (89.234.66.107) 2.777 ms 1.831 ms 2.232 ms
    2 bas505.cwt.esat.net (193.95.136.241) 40.139 ms 41.857 ms 41.315 ms
    3 * vlan501.rt501.cwt.esat.net (193.95.137.124) 43.467 ms *
    4 vlan51.rt001.cwt.esat.net (193.95.130.137) 162.804 ms 228.091 ms *
    5 ge0-0.br001.cwt.esat.net (193.95.129.4) 42.027 ms 42.778 ms 40.035 ms
    6 to-inex-dub-deg-gw.digiweb.ie (193.242.111.20) 43.033 ms 56.214 ms *
    7 ip-89-234-66-107.dedi.digiweb.ie (89.234.66.107) 44.278 ms 41.844 ms 45.422 ms

My PC is a Mac, nothing odd running, no torrents etc.

We would also have an Xbox360 connected also but this was turned off (fully!) to eliminate it. Father uses a Vista box but also powered down during these tests.

Connected directly (LAN cable) to the router.

I have the router (WRT54) running in bridge mode against a Zyxel modem.

Can disconnect the router and try just against the modem if ya think I should.

throttled by BT
    Can you expand on this, when do they throttle or is it always?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

if you go over your download limit BT are in there rights to restrict your bandwidth or in other words "throttle" your connection, although judging from your posts it could possibly be a contention or overloaded exchange judging from your ping times

Try the connection very late at night , say 3 am and check the results. If their the same best to get onto BT and see if you`ve gone over your allowed download capacity. . Possibly theres some way to check this online but as im not a BT customer i dont no, hope this helps

• Advertisement

Yup I know what throttling is I was just wondering under what circumstances it is used by BT ...

Will check tonight and see what its like, are there grounds to complain if it is just contention? Considering changing ISP but it will be the same exchange if we go DSL again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Yup I know what throttling is I was just wondering under what circumstances it is used by BT ...

Will check tonight and see what its like, are there grounds to complain if it is just contention? Considering changing ISP but it will be the same exchange if we go DSL again.

Yes if you have not gone over your download limit there is grounds there to complain. I was on digiweb DSL and i had the same problems as you do at the moment, so i changed onto eircom and never had those sort of problems with download/Pings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Same eircom exchange, yes, but the contention is controlled by your ISP as far as I know. Can you do a speed test during the day, say 11AM, and then maybe late at night, after midnight. See if the speeds are OK. If the are, then it's very likely to be contention at the peak times (5-12PM roughly).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

jor el wrote: »
    Same eircom exchange, yes, but the contention is controlled by your ISP as far as I know. Can you do a speed test during the day, say 11AM, and then maybe late at night, after midnight. See if the speeds are OK. If the are, then it's very likely to be contention at the peak times (5-12PM roughly).

Nah, it's controlled by Eircom.
    I don't think it's a contention problem though. I'm on BT and having the same issues as the OP since last Thursday night. Lost sync for a while and re booted the modem but it took about 10 minutes to sync. When it did it didn't sync at full speed and the line stats were haywire.

Improved on Saturday but still not back to it's old self.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

My BT is painfully slow today. In fact i would say slower than Dialup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I don't think it's a contention problem though. I'm on BT and having the same issues as the OP since last Thursday night. Lost sync for a while and re booted the modem but it took about 10 minutes to sync. When it did it didn't sync at full speed and the line stats were haywire.

Ah, it's the backhaul that the ISP has control over. Seems to be alot of speed issues in BT lately, and I've wondered if it was due to opening up 8Mbps speeds on a number of exchanges. I wonder have they factored this new requirement into their backhaul needs.

Hey

Well didn't improve much overnight.

Tried a few things, completely reset the Zyxel modem and connected directly.
    Speedtest.net had me at 841/100 which was much better.
    Tested again after an hour and around the same.

Reintroduced the WRT54 and it dropped again 515/99.

So disconnected and reset again and tried it was back up to normal.

Finally tried a 3com Wireless router and speed was ok there also.

Definitely drops when I use the WRT54, checked all the settings and cannot see anything funky on the WRT54.

Still crap service overall so we are going to try somewhere else. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

kaizersoze wrote: »

Yeah same here and it all began last thursday night. On the 3mb package and was getting downloads of 2.6mbps now getting 649/234kbps. Reset modem but no improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

Same problem here too.

Getting very bad speeds the last 2 or 3 days. My Speedtest's are much the same as the other posters. 444/118 kpbs for a 2mbps line, very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Same problem with myself. Normally able to stream videos from megavideo no problem but the last fews day its been impossible.

Im on the Turloughmore, Co. Galway exchange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I never realised how fast my 2mb BT Broadband was until I had to spend the last 4 months in internet cafes, work, friends houses. Of all the different computers I was on while my house was being renovated none of their internet connections were as fast as my BT.

Here's a screenshot from that online test:

290878031.png

I'm actually changing over to Smart as soon as they set me up but I'd happily stay with BT. Why we're dumping BT is a long story but nothing to do with their broadband quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

scart wrote: »
    Yeah same here and it all began last thursday night. On the 3mb package and was getting downloads of 2.6mbps now getting 649/234kbps. Reset modem but no improvement.

Checked my speed again at 00:45am and its perfect 2.635mbps/319kbps. What the hell is going on???
    Will check again tomorrow afternoon.....

290904256.png

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Its happeneing to me now

getting 1mb instead of 3mb

291664526.png

Its been as low as 700/200

Tried the bt test and got 50-70kb/s

so its not contention because they say online it should be 100-300

I've never had this problem before, been with BT for the past 4 year!:mad:

EDIT:

Was talking to BT, they didn't know why its was slow.

Its gotten worse though

291711820.png

They sent it on to the tier 2 team so i'll hear in a few days. I hope it fixes itself before then though!

This is what i used to get

284413624.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Hi, first post here.

Basically I'm having the exact same problem myself. Been with BT broadband since 2004 and never experienced such slow speeds on my 2mb line as I have these past few days. Tends to get back to normal after midnight (1700 kb/s or so) but during the daytime it slows to an absolute crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

This seems to fit in with the problems experienced by Eircom customers countrywide lately- remember BT are just reselling eircom's lines so dont be so quick to blame BT (eircom might be doing maintenance work before the speed upgrades)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

I wish i could get something better!:(

This is a JOKE. Eircom need to get it together.

I've been without the net today, Eircom need to give us something for compensation if this keeps going on.

I'm using my 3 mobile broadband because its faster!!:rolleyes:

But it still costs us even when it doesn't work.

Here are my latest speeds

291753681.png:eek:

My upload is now faster than my download, and my rubbish 3 is better than my BT

I want to play some online gaming...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Calebmcd wrote: »
    I wish i could get something better!:(

This is a JOKE. Eircom need to get it together.

I've been without the net today, Eircom need to give us something for compensation if this keeps going on.

I'm using my 3 mobile broadband because its faster!!:rolleyes:

But it still costs us even when it doesn't work.

Here are my latest speeds

291753681.png:eek:

I want to play some online gaming...:mad:

Lets be honest and i think most know that unless eircom pump millions which is needed to upgrade there network then they wont be able to offer faster speeds. NTL can offer because they have there own Network and its all Fibre. I was reading on another thread that eircom cannot offer ADSL2 as they dont have the hardware, which is were BT have jumped ahead of them with LLU which is ADSL2+ and can go faster then what they currently offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Well just done a test before I hit the hay and my line is back up to its normal max speed of 1700 kb/s.

No doubt it will be back down to crawling speed when I check it again later on today. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dhaumi

I had the same problem here in Oranmore. But today, the connection seems back to normal again. May it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

It will be a good idea to add your Exchange, it will help locate the problem

My guess is that there is a congestion issue on the west of ireland. What I dont understand is why only BT customer are being affected...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 wildwest

Same here I am with Irish Broadband 2MB DSL my speeds were never great but steady got knocked of last Thursday night and it did not come back on till about 1pm Friday since then my pings and speed are all over the place and it went out again last night but came back on in about 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Bohrio wrote: »
    It will be a good idea to add your Exchange, it will help locate the problem

My guess is that there is a congestion issue on the west of ireland. What I dont understand is why only BT customer are being affected...

Well I forgot to mention that I'm with eircom.
    A thread hijack I know, but a similar problem nonetheless

I am with Irish Broadband so it seems not only bt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

According to BT, this ADSL speed deterioration (most noticeable with downstream speeds) seems to be caused by a network congestion issue in some of the Eircom Exchanges. BT have "raised the issue" with Eircom who are "investigating at the moment". BT suggested that the problem might be related to Eircom exchange upgrades.

In Galway the deterioration has been happening for both Eircom & BT customers at the same time (generally from late morning onwards).

• Advertisement

My speed seems to be back to normal and holding steady since yesterday morning so hopefully they might have it fixed.

Advertisement