Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console help

Options
  • 30-06-2008 9:11pm

I'm debating buying a console. Only problem is that I'm not entirely sure which one. Out of the XBox 360, PS3 and Wii, which one would you boardsie's think is best? Also, what would the pros and cons be of each one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Really depends on what games you're in to. Are you coming from PC gaming? Have you owned other consoles before?

I think I would be more into fighting/adventure games.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

all three consoles have a good selection of their own adventure/fighter games, so i think this is a debate not to get into :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I own all three of the current crop of consoles and I would have to say, go for a PS3, try for a 60gb if you can.
    There's some smashing games on it, MGS4 being one of the best and a decent future well supported by games ahead.
    If it was FPS you were into I'd have to say 360, but for RPG and Fighters, it's weighted more in the PS3s favour, with the new Final Fantasy title coming to the PS3 rather than the 360.
    I have a feeling the PS3 is going to have software support longer than the 360 too, and it is certainly more reliable than the Microsoft machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Xbox 360

Join us...we have cookies! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It might be an idea to list of some games you've enjoyed before. You say you like adventure games, but since there's so many and they can all be quite different, it'd be easier to match a console to your liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

The only question you should ask yourself, if your unsure of which console to get, is which has more of the type of games you like. Dont get a wii if you dont like casual gaming, get an xbox if you like a good range. get a ps3 if you want blueray movies, have a hidef tv and like your graphics purdy.

As a person who owns both PS3 and Xbox360, I'd say get the xbox360. The graphics for ps3 *are* better, but nowhere near the difference between the quality of graphics for wii.

If your really a casual gamer, and dont mind soft-plot games like mario or god help us wii-fit, then the wii is for you, but i pretty much scoff at the wii. probably a bit out of snobbery, but its very much a girls and grand parents thing to me.

One final note, the xbox has a horrible repuation for breaking down. even mine, which survived 2yrs+ without a mark against it, exploded THE DAY i bought a ps3 (ironic no?) so its on its way back from ms now from being repaired.

anyways, the message im trying to give is that the ps3 is more expensive, but if it has more games you like, get it. same goes for wii or xbox360, look at the games available and decide which are more likely to entertain *you*.

The only thing about the PS3 is that I don't have a high-def tv and the chances of me getting one are pretty much slim. So without the high-def tv, would there be much of a difference between the graphics of the xbox 360 and the ps3?

I didn't know about the xbox's breaking down (I've never been a fan of consoles as such, but gaming on the PC is just too tedious - my laptop cannot play any of the new games). Do they offer some sort of warranty/repair service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I'd say the 360. There are a heap of fighting games for all three but with the 360 you can get a lot of classics through XBL Marketplace. For example the first Soul Calibre (Soul Blade?) was just relesed for download for about 10 or 15 quid.

Another thing is that I don't have broadband. I'm using 3 mobile broadband so xbox live or the ps3 alternative wouldn't be an option for me. Which console would have the best single player games? (if that's not a stupid question to ask)

I'm somewhat sliding towards the xbox 360 at the moment. Though any girl I ever ask always says the Wii.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Another thing is that I don't have broadband. I'm using 3 mobile broadband so xbox live or the ps3 alternative wouldn't be an option for me. Which console would have the best single player games? (if that's not a stupid question to ask)

I'm somewhat sliding towards the xbox 360 at the moment. Though any girl I ever ask always says the Wii.

You ask girls for advice? You need a Wii
    Otherwise get a 360

kmick wrote: »
    You ask girls for advice? You need a Wii
    Otherwise get a 360

Valid point. The cooties must be getting to their brains.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd have to say that if you are into your RPG's get a 360. The PS3 has no JRPGs on it that are worth getting while the 360 has loads on it. FFXIII is heading to PS3 but it will probably be average going by Square's recent output. White Knight Story is bound to be great but not coming out until late 2009. The 360 on the other hand has a load of excellent RPGs at the moment with lots more coming including 3 exclusive Square Enix games being developed by their external 3rd party devs like Tri-Ace instead of the internal devs that have done nothing but disappoint lately.

I've never really gotten into the Final Fantasy games. Mainly as I found them too time consuming. Which has a larger catalogue of games? The ps3 or the xbox 360? I'm presuming the 360 as it has been out longer. But the games for both are extremely expensive- in the region of 50-70 for a new game. Even pre-owned are fetching for 20-40.

360 by a country mile, though that could change in the next year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

Microsoft offer an extended warranty for about 50-60eur on the consoles, that bump it another two years, but... if your console dies of a red ring of death, which is basically a manufacturing fault, MS have given a 3yr warantee against all consoles free - which is good, as thats the main problem.

if you dont have a HDTV, you'll never notice the difference between Xbox and PS3 Graphics, and mores to the point even if you could its too little to care about. seriously.

The Xbox has a much bigger back catalogue, and you can buy lots of good games on the arcade, hell you can even develop games for it with the creators club. Its really a great package, and not as expensive as the PS3. Personally, I think the ps3 catalogue is quite weak atm, definitely not as big as wii or xbox.

Thats a big deal if price is your issue, because you can get loads of cheap xbox games, theres not that many to choose from for the ps3.

I put it this way (for now at least):

if you want blueray hi-def films, and slightly better quality graphics in games, and/or you prefer the catalogue, choose ps3. Its also got a fairly good browser, which is nice.

if you are a casual (or, at the risk of being sexist, a girl) gamer, the wii is perfect. but personally, i find the the whole cutsey stuff too much..

if you want a middle of the range performer, with good graphics, good performance, a fairly large catalogue (thus more budget games), get the Xbox360.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've never really gotten into the Final Fantasy games. Mainly as I found them too time consuming. Which has a larger catalogue of games? The ps3 or the xbox 360? I'm presuming the 360 as it has been out longer. But the games for both are extremely expensive- in the region of 50-70 for a new game. Even pre-owned are fetching for 20-40.

Well there's absolutely no need to be spending that much on games. The PS3 is completely region free and most 360 games are region free as well. Just buy the american or asian versions (which usually come with english tracks anyway) of the games on line for less than half price. Even buying from somewhere like play.com will save you a rake of money.

As for the PS3 having slightly better graphics than the 360 well it's mostly a lie. Almost all multiformat games come off looking and running better on the 360. However the differences are so slight you'd need the games running side by side and really be paying attention. The PS3 is far from the super computer sony made it out to be with little to no advantage over the 360 power wise.

It seems that the Xbox 360 is the best option for me really. And now to move on - which of the 3 packages would be the best for me? People say that the hard-drive is needed if I am to use xbox live, but I don't have adequate internet. How much would the hard-drive cost seperately, or is that not possible at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i own all 3 consoles and i personally think its between ps3 and xbox 360

the wii hasn't enough hardcore games

but i have to admit mario galaxy is one of the best iv ever played

but for me its the ps3

metal gear is unreal up there with the best of all time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The 360 is very loud,playstation is quiet enough,dunno if that'll be a deal breaker for you or not,or and on the wii you can smash brothers,quite an excellent fighting game if I do say so myself.

• Advertisement

It seems that the Xbox 360 is the best option for me really. And now to move on - which of the 3 packages would be the best for me? People say that the hard-drive is needed if I am to use xbox live, but I don't have adequate internet. How much would the hard-drive cost seperately, or is that not possible at all?
    The Premium (middle) 360 would probably do. It's handy to have a HDD, even if it's only 20GB, but like you said, you won't be downloading much to warrent the 120GB of the Elite (top). The Arcade (lowest) 360 has 5 free arcade games, but only 256MB memory card.

On it's own, the 20GB HDD used to be €100 (current price difference between Premium and Elite), which is a rip off compared to PC HDD prices. That price has dropped since since the introduction of the Elite.

If you have a look in Xtravision et al. you can probably find a good deal on bundles.

It's a pity you don't have broadband as it seems to be the way things are going for consoles...except the Wii, which is far behind the 360 and PS3 offerings.

I think I'm moving towards the xbox 360 arcade bundle. Game are doing a deal with the console and 2 games for 230. Even if I wanted to get broadband, I could buy a hard-drive.. the 60gig is 110 euro(or therebouts)

I'd pick a 360 as well. It just has the better selection of games. I have all 3 consoles and I have literally not turned on the PS3 to play a game since I got Uncharted in November. Before that it was barely used. Other than that I would only be interested in MGS 4 which I haven't bought because I'm broke. The 360 is on all the time. The PS3 does have good games but they are all mostly available on the 360 as well.

Wouldn't get a Wii on it's own. It has some really excellent unique titles but not enough to keep to satisfy on it's own. It is however an excellent second console.

There's probably an XB360 price cut coming in the next few weeks so hold out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

First off, don't get a wii. They are nowhere near the capabilities of the 360 or the PS3.

Having said that, it's just a matter of weighing up the pros and the cons, so I'll do it as best I can, having played both consoles.

For online gaming, you have to pay €60 a year with MS whereas it's free on the PS3. Some say that its because XBL is more user friendly and stuff like that, but in all fairness I can't see how this is. Both versions are equally easy to use. In fact I think the PSN is better if anything. Thereagain MS are just money grabbers.

Game choice: Well the 360 is the clear winner here. No question. having said that, the 360 was released over a year before the PS3 so it always had a good head start. Over the coming years, there is every chance the PS3 will catch up. The PS3 also has some really good exclusives like Resistance: Fall Of Man and Metal Gear Solid 4. Final Fantasy XIII is also in the pipeline. However the 360 has a lot of exclusives too such as the popular "Halo" series. So it's all down to preference.

Price: The PS3 is more expensive. Or is it? Well yes it is, but that's an unfair assumption to make. It's more a case of "you get what you pay for". The PS3 comes with a hard disk drive and BluRay DVD player as standard. You don't get this with the standard 360. So all in all, the price shouldn't be as big a deciding fact as people make out.

Reliability: Well facts show that the PS3 is the more reliable of the two machines. The "Red Ring Of Death" was all the rage for the 360, but I think the newer versions aren't as bad. However, my PS3 shat on me a few months back. I had to back up all my data and re-format the the hard drive. So maybe they're not as squeaky clean as we've been told.

All in all both are great pieces of kit, but the PS3 edges it for me. I think it's better equipped for the future. Good luck in making your purchase.

There's probably an XB360 price cut coming in the next few weeks so hold out a bit.
    Didn't Europe already get one a few months ago? AU/NZ got one today AFAIK, with a NA one expected before Christmas.

I'm thinking about getting the Arcade 360 - it's the cheapest options and getting Alone in the Dark and the new GTA. I know the PS3 is the best value for money (hard-drive and Bluray) but I honestly don't need those as such.

Oh no, you do need the hard drive. I can't stress how much you need the hard drive. Not only can you not save without it, but you can't play xbox games and certain games use it to speed up loading times etc.

The package includes a memory stick of sorts. Would that not be ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

The package includes a memory stick of sorts. Would that not be ok?

For a small number of files yes...

Personally when i got a 360, i went for the elite.

Def get one with a harddrive.

Advertisement