Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console help

Options

Comments

Thats the thing- 2 games will probably last me ages as I've a full time job and a nintendo ds. So the space wouldn't be too bad. I'll probably just buy the hard-drive seperately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I really wouldn't get just a memory stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

On an ign podcast they mentioned that there's some rumours going around that Microsoft might be announcing a price reduction on the Xbox 360 at E3. They said it was fairly likely, so hold out 3 weeks and see if there is a price cut on the 360. Even if there's not I'd still choose the 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

rizzla wrote: »
    On an ign podcast they mentioned that there's some rumours going around that Microsoft might be announcing a price reduction on the Xbox 360 at E3. They said it was fairly likely, so hold out 3 weeks and see if there is a price cut on the 360. Even if there's not I'd still choose the 360.

i find it hard to understand this line of thought, really. unless its gonna drop 60-100eur (which, to be perfectly honest, is not very likely i dont think), is waiting all of 3 weeks really worth it? :confused:

sure, you'll save money, but you'll be 3weeks without a console!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Don't get the Arcade tbh. You need to get a Hardrive or a Memory Card to save game saves and it would probably work out much the same if you got an Arcade and a memory card as it would a Premium.

Oh, there is a bundle you are getting? Sure, go for the memory card but only if you are 100 % sure that you won't be going on Live any time soon.

• Advertisement

dont forget, if you ever want to rent films from xbox live, or buy games (some fairly decent ones) your gonna need a bit of space too... more than a memory card.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd agree with the above advice and get the premium 360. The hard drive is very handy to have. You'd regret not having it if you ever go online in the future.

Well the house I'm currently living in does not have broadband and I'm guessing 3mobile "broadband" would not be compatible with xbox live. It's hard to tell if the house I'll move into next will have broadband either.

The bundle I'm looking at is 2 games, the controllers, a memory stick and the arcade console for €239

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

If its the money that's putting you off a premium console, then buy a pre-owned console from gamestop or somewhere similer. A friend of mine did. They guarantee all the used stuff(games, consoles, peripherals) the same as new ones. If its the money thats holding you back.... i'd suggest that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

I think Xtra Vision have the Premium, controllers and two games for 299....or something similar.

Doesn't the standard only come with basic cables as well, meaning that if you get a HD tv in future, you'll have to purchase another set of cables to run in hd? Or was that only the old core model...

Ignore all this 'Ps3 has better graphics' talk, any game I've played that are on both consoles look better on the 360 (cod3), at worst, they look the exact same (cod4).... it's not a concern whatsoever.
    Price: The PS3 is more expensive. Or is it? Well yes it is, but that's an unfair assumption to make. It's more a case of "you get what you pay for". The PS3 comes with a hard disk drive and BluRay DVD player as standard. You don't get this with the standard 360. So all in all, the price shouldn't be as big a deciding fact as people make out.

The PS3 is way more expensive - fact not assumption. It doesn't matter what comes with it, what you're paying for, it's still more expensive as a games machine. That's like saying sure price isn't a determining factor between a moped and a car, because the car comes with way more features. It doesn't really matter a toss to the person who can only afford, and have use for, the moped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

The Queen wrote: »
    I think Xtra Vision have the Premium, controllers and two games for 299....or something similar.

Doesn't the standard only come with basic cables as well, meaning that if you get a HD tv in future, you'll have to purchase another set of cables to run in hd? Or was that only the old core model...

Ignore all this 'Ps3 has better graphics' talk, any game I've played that are on both consoles look better on the 360 (cod3), at worst, they look the exact same (cod4).... it's not a concern whatsoever.

The PS3 is way more expensive - fact not assumption. It doesn't matter what comes with it, what you're paying for, it's still more expensive as a games machine. That's like saying sure price isn't a determining factor between a moped and a car, because the car comes with way more features. It doesn't really matter a toss to the person who can only afford, and have use for, the moped.
    Read it again. I said "Well yes it is". All I did was point out what extras you get for your cash, which I think is a valid reason for the extra cost. It's unfair and biased to dismiss the PS3 because it's more expensive, and just leave it at that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

^^^^^^^^ i agree with the above,the xbox is noisy as hell,i find it irratating after a while,should have gotten a ps3 my friend!

Heh, yeah I forgot to mention that. Although, the PS3 can get extremely noisy too, but that's only if you keep it in an enclosed unit. This isn't recommended. If you really have to do that, make sure you keep the door of cupboard open when playing. The fan will still come on, but not overly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

get a 360 with hardrive,premium ,it has an av cable with connectors for sdtv ,and hdtv .you can get preowned games for 20euro or less and download demos free with xbox live silver account,which is free.the ps3 is more expensive because of blue ray drive,360 looks great even on an sdtv 21inch.i see no significant difference in graphics between the 2 consoles,very few games are ps3 exclusive .you,ll need the hardrive for demo storage and game saves.Some games look worse on ps3 ,360 is designed like a dual core pc,its easier to make /program games on it ,than 4the ps3.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I love RPGs, Metal Gears, Pro Evo's, so a ps3 is the way for me. (controller for pro evo ftw)

I guess it all depends.

So I went into Game today and was asking about their bundles. The guy in there told me that the Premium Xbox360 was best as the hard-drive was needed when playing GTA4 (as I intend to get GTA4 and Battlefield: Bad Company) with it. I didn't know this, so I'm now going to get it, but trade in some DS games against it too.

the hard-drive was needed when playing GTA4
    I don't think this is true :confused:

nealmac wrote: »
    I don't think this is true :confused:

for online play, I imagine it is. but for normal single player? I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Sorry gamer, but I have to disagree with some of your points here.
    gamer wrote: »
    get a 360 with hardrive,premium ,it has an av cable with connectors for sdtv ,and hdtv.

The PS3 also comes with cables out of the box. Though if you have a HD TV with a HDMI port, use a HDMI cable. The 360 Elite is the only version that has one at the moment.
    you can get preowned games for 20euro or less and download demos free with xbox live silver account,which is free.

Online is completely free on the PS3. Demos, videos etc. are all free. PSN games are cheap enough. If you are thinking about PSN games, try Super Stardust HD and PixelJunk Monsters.
    the ps3 is more expensive because of blue ray drive,360 looks great even on an sdtv 21inch.

So does the PS3; we had a SD TV in our gaff for the first week we were there and if memory serves, it still looked outstanding.
    i see no significant difference in graphics between the 2 consoles,very few games are ps3 exclusive .you,ll need the hardrive for demo storage and game saves. Some games look worse on ps3

There is very little difference between the consoles from a graphics perspective, however, I am yet to see a game look worse on the PS3. The PS3 also has quite a few very good exclusives in MGS4, GT5:Prologue, Uncharted, Resistance, Motorstorm as well as all PSN titles like WarHawk, Tekken Online and the ones mentioned above.
    360 is designed like a dual core pc,its easier to make /program games on it ,than 4the ps3.

I don't see how this is considered a valid point when selecting a console to buy, seeing as the OP is probably not going to be creating games himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Otacon wrote: »
    The PS3 also comes with cables out of the box. Though if you have a HD TV with a HDMI port, use a HDMI cable. The 360 Elite is the only version that has one at the moment.

Errrr, I think you might want to research that point again!!

• Advertisement

He isn't saying it comes with a HDMI cable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Errrr, I think you might want to research that point again!!

Apologies for the misunderstanding, I meant the PS3 does come with cables, but for the best performance get a HDMI cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Wii owner here - wouldn't mind an Xbox 360 but can't afford one. The correct answer to "which console?" is of course "The one which has the games I want to play". So think about what games you want to play, and buy the console that has them. I like RPGs and adventure games, and FPS and driving games to a lesser extent - but I am a Nintendo addict.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

360s going cheap in Dunnes lads, 179euro or something. Worth picking up. I'd also opt for a hard drive for the 360 since when the new october update comes out, the games will be installed to hard drive and run from there - making things a lot quieter and faster hopefully.

Wow that is cheap. Are they premiums too? Not crappy cores?

Ps2 wasn't much sheaper than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

PS3 for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

That Dunnes stores deal is very good. Considering a Nintendo DS and game is worth roughly around the same price you are definitely getting your moneys worth. Anybody on the fence about buying an Xbox, nows the perfect chance to test your resolve.

Im a ps man but at 180e...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Otacon wrote: »
    There is very little difference between the consoles from a graphics perspective, however, I am yet to see a game look worse on the PS3. The PS3 also has quite a few very good exclusives in MGS4, GT5:Prologue, Uncharted, Resistance, Motorstorm as well as all PSN titles like WarHawk, Tekken Online and the ones mentioned above.

Google it, gamespot and several other large, independent websites have run comparisions on the graphics between X360 and PS3 on multi-format games.
    While its getting closer, the 360 has won all of them.
    Part of this is most likely down to developers being more familiar with the 360, but a large part is down to the 360 being a lot easier to code for (which is how gamer's point about design is relevant).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I've both the PS3 and Xbox 360. Both have their pros and cons, here they are........all imo of course.

PS3
    Pros:
    Built in wireless
    Rechargeable controller via USB.
    Keyboard & mouse compatibility
    Broswer built in
    Logitech G25 compatibility (steering wheel)
    User created material (themes, maps etc)
    1080P (not something I have access to yet but definately a good selling point)
    Region free games*
    Design, looks pretty slick imo
    Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 5 & Buzz (if you're that way inclined....which my gf is......honest :pac)

Cons:
    Controller, just feels too light and poorly built (imo before anyone starts freaking out). I hate the analog sticks. I hated the R2/L2 triggers too but got add-ons for them to make them feel more ergonomic.
    No force feedback from the controller (not from the one with the console anyway)
    No HD cable (my 40gb didn't anyway, had AV cable.......maybe you get it with higher end models)
    No headset with it
    *Online play being locked to where you bought the game

Xbox 360
    Pros:
    Controller (apart from the dpad) is extremely ergonomic and the analogs are really nice to use
    Price**
    Xbox Live (for me it was a big reason for me buying it)
    Availability of games from Play-Asia.
    Comes with headset
    Hackable....I don't condone this behaviour but I know a few people who have bought it over a PS3 for this reason.
    Halo 3 .... not my type of game but one of the most popular console FPS ever (perhaps even between PC & Console but let's not get ahead of ourselves here), Forza, PGR and perhaps even condemned (not played it)

Cons:
    Batteries needed for the controller. They should've integrated USB charging at this stage.
    **Price of accessories can drive up the cost of the console if you need stuff like wireless or the play and charge kit.
    Micrsoft points. I still don't see why they can't have euros/dollars in the store.
    Charging for themes and gamer pictures is an absolute disgrace.
    No user created content available (is themes, gamerpics, maps etc.......not XNA stuff)
    RRoD. I've had 3 (currently 2) and not 1 of them has had this problem *touches wood*, maybe I'm just lucky.
    No browser, pretty lame that this wasn't included.
    Noise definately a factor if you need to keep the levels down late at night. I'd tend not to hear it if I was playing during the day as the TV would be loud.
    Looks like **** imo (unless you have the elite version)

If the launch dates were switched between the 2 consoles, I've no doubt in my mind that the PS3 would be in the driving seat purely down to the impatience of people looking to get their hands on the next best thing. The early launch date was a great help to the Xbox 360.

Advertisement