Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post June 30th: Driving unaccompanied and got stopped - post your experience here

Options
  • 30-06-2008 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

1. How much did you get fined?
    2. Did you display your L plates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

DRice wrote: »
    How much did you get fined?
    Did you display your L plates?
    Similar thread exists - thread locked.

Thread opened again at request of the OP but may be locked again if necessary!

**hovers over 'lock' button** :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hehe, let's hope it doesn't spiral out of control into anarchy.
    :pac::pac::pac:optimism for ya, ay?

Hehe, let's hope it doesn't spiral out of control into anarchy.
    :pac::pac::pac:optimism for ya, ay?
    Maybe we should limit it to answers to the 2 questions above!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭donhughberto

I think a sticky would be better to save us the bother of 20 of these threads. I think everyone is interested in the topic. I know bragging about not getting caught won't help. But maybe getting caught will help other people be aware.

I am sure a few fines might stop some people while others won't give a damn. For the record i parked mine today until i do the test. Better safe than sorry.

• Advertisement

I think a sticky would be better to save us the bother of 20 of these threads
    Yes but too many stickies only fill up the front page so we try to limit them. Very few browsers bother to go to page 2. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

No This Thread should stay up , but let it be only as the title says... about experiences with getting stoped by the gards!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I agree. keep this thread. But hopefully no debates happen as theirs alread enough threads for that stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

I took my plates down this morning, as did almost everyone else from the looks of things.

I counted only one car with L plates (un-accompanied i might add) in my whole 40 min drive into Limerick this morning.

There's going to be alot of fines handed out by the Gardai in the coming months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 debbie72

well i dont know about you but this has got me totally confused even last night with the minister for transport on tv3 he is saying the law came in to effect at midnight but the gaurds are not going to enforce it so wtf is going on because im totally confused with it all :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The guards never said they wouldnt enforce it. They said they will enforce it as per any other law. They wont be setting up any checkpoints to catch L-Plate drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The guards will take a common sense approach. Best thing to do is everyone who is driving on a provisonal is to apply for the test today, bring the letter you recieve around with you with your license, don't take down the L plates, this will just píss the guards off if your caught.

For the few months while your waiting for your test, drive everyday like your doing your test, get enough lessons where your not only confident to drive but where your comfortable with someone in the car assessing you, buy a clipboard and give to your driving instructor if you have to.

Lastly, pass the bloody test, you will never have to do it again, throw the green license in the fire and watch it burn. :D

Stay safe, drive defensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Boggles wrote: »
    The guards will take a common sense approach. Best thing to do is everyone who is driving on a provisonal is to apply for the test today, bring the letter you recieve around with you with your license, don't take down the L plates, this will just píss the guards off if your caught.

For the few months while your waiting for your test, drive everyday like your doing your test, get enough lessons where your not only confident to drive but where your comfortable with someone in the car assessing you, buy a clipboard and give to your driving instructor if you have to.

Lastly, pass the bloody test, you will never have to do it again, throw the green license in the fire and watch it burn. :D

+1

Couldn't agree more.
    I've left my L plates up.

I find that the Gardai are usually pretty understanding once they see your not a complete scumbag or out to do harm.

iRock wrote: »
    +1

Couldn't agree more.
    I've left my L plates up.

I find that the Gardai are usually pretty understanding once they see your not a complete scumbag or out to do harm.

I left mine at home. I find the gardai differ. There is a few young ones in our town making waves with the locals. Trying to make a name for themselves and would only be too happy to throw the book at someone.

A letter with test date does not mean a test passed. I also noticed all my neighbours bar one have removed Ls and drove on. This will not make the roads safer. One of them can't even drive a straight line.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

A letter with test date does not mean a test passed. I also noticed all my neighbours bar one have removed Ls and drove on. This will not make the roads safer. One of them can't even drive a straight line.

If you HAVE TO DRIVE it will be alot better if your caught to have proof that you have at least applied for your test.

Plus if there is guards out to make a name for themselves, they are not going to ignore the fact that you have no L plates up.

I left mine at home. I find the gardai differ.

From my experience thats not the case.

I got caught twice with no Tax and No NCT... on different occasions, under different circumstances.

I just visited the particular Gardai station and asked to speak to the Gard.. he was very understanding and had it struck out when the court date came.

- This is of course after explaining my situation and the fact that I don't have a record of traffic offences (or any other).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am in a spot of bother. i am waiting for a test date which means i have to practice. my driving instructor said he would be robbing me by taking me on anymore lessons.

i need to practice that corner thing, i dont have anyone who can drive with me

i wonder would i be okay on my road, doing my practice?

irishbird wrote: »
    i am in a spot of bother. i am waiting for a test date which means i have to practice. my driving instructor said he would be robbing me by taking me on anymore lessons.

i wonder would i be okay on my road, doing my practice?

I would imagine so... if you are a reasonable driver.
    Of course it depends on where you live too. Theres also always the possibility of getting caught.... after all it is the law... but I reckon even if you do get caught the chances of the Gardai coming down hard on you are slim to none. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

im on my 1st provisional, and im leaving my L plates up.

Ive applied for my full licence and only drive within the d16 area.

Ive only (for the 7months driving) seen 1 garda check point and that was last bank holiday..i was waved on after they checked my disks.

I drive slowly and always with caution of everything around me, if im stopped by a garda i dont mind, i knew ive always been breaking the law

Im not a moron behind the wheel like i see so often everyday locally, everyone speeds, without question. Im off to Dundrum to the bank now, make sure to wave at your friendly L plated cars!

+1

Good for you. Im in the same boat down the country... but on 2nd Provisional.

(Just thought I'd jump in there before the vultures start to appear).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

How about getting up at the crack of dawn and (i.e. 5am) and practicing around a quiet area? I can't really see the Gardai coming down on you for this?

davej

davej wrote: »
    How about getting up at the crack of dawn and (i.e. 5am) and practicing around a quiet area? I can't really see the Gardai coming down on you for this?

davej

Great idea as the Gardai will still be in bed. At least in my town anyway. Thats good solid advice DaveJ. Off course the high and mighty crew will kick us into touch for suggesting it.

I guess still breaking the Law regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

Well im back from my trip through Dundum (d14 & d16).

2 squad cars..

nothing..

1 driving towards me on the way home, and one infront of me on the way there. The one in Dundrum was probably going back to the station anyways.

So, yeah...

+1

Funny how nobody has posted here that got caught... ya know... with the big crackdown and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

iRock wrote: »
    +1

Funny how nobody has posted here that got caught... ya know... with the big crackdown and all!

Most people aren't using their plates, though. It's hard to catch them when they are cunningly disguised like that. I'd say next week, when people get rid of the fear and decide to put the plates back up to placate their insurance company rather than what might at the moment seem like an underwhelming enforcement policy, we'll see whether it's a joke or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

+ 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 debbie72

well i was out this morning (accompaied)drove all around sligo today and have not seen one check-point or gaurd anywhere and i was driving for a good 3hrs :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

SGS didnt send a confirmation letter with test date only a text message.

Could i show that maybe to the Gardai??????

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not the best idea since you need your provisional license/learner permit in order to apply for your full license ;)

• Advertisement

+1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement