Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post June 30th: Driving unaccompanied and got stopped - post your experience here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Stark wrote: »
    Not the best idea since you need your provisional license/learner permit in order to apply for your full license ;)

Good point Stark.

Photocopy your green license and watch that burn. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

During the last "crackdown" two weeks ago I saw nothing for the first 2 or 3 days, then got stopped the following 3 days at 3 different checkpoints at 3 different times.

Maybe I was just unlucky, but I can see something similar happening here. The weekend will be the real acid test. And it's the one time of the week I HAVE to drive to get home from work late at night.

I shall continue to watch with interest.

EDIT: I was breathlysed one, and waved thru once and had my discs checked once. All with my L plates up and twice on my own, once with my gf in the passenger seat (who's also on her provisional).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I drove 40km today and saw less than 5 L-plates. Rush hour there and back. It's been 8 months since this deadline was announced...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I drove 40km today and saw less than 5 L-plates. Rush hour there and back. It's been 8 months since this deadline was announced...

i covered a lot less distance but only saw one L plate. It was some oul' fella in a 07 E220 Mercedes...at least he's decided to show the plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

i covered a lot less distance but only saw one L plate. It was some oul' fella in a 07 E220 Mercedes...at least he's decided to show the plates.

I drove on the N4 on the way home from Liffey Valley to Maynooth and saw ONE L-plate. On a 08 Peugeot 307, which would make me think that it's only someone that uses the car that is a learner. I saw hundreds of old Micras/Corsas/Polos with a young driver and no L plate. Now I am sure people look at my old Punto and young me behind the wheel even though I have a full licence but there is no way THAT many people can pass a driving test since the weekend.

I was also shocked to read on RTE's website about the amount of people not showing up for their test because they are not ready. Waste the slot why don't you :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I really cant wait to get my full liecence. I will be so damn happy. but knowing my look something like R plates will come in just a few days before I pass it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I drove through an industrial estate today and saw several cars reversing gingerly around corners. Not one of them had an L-plate up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭mossy619

one bit of advice leave ure L plates up and make sure your tyres are good and that your cars exhaust aint 2 loud because what ever about your local guards the traffic core will NOT let you off i speak from experience

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

mossy619 wrote: »
    one bit of advice leave ure L plates up and make sure your tyres are good and that your cars exhaust aint 2 loud because what ever about your local guards the traffic core will NOT let you off i speak from experience

I think this is so sensible, was thinking earlier that guards will probably prosecute based on how the offender has pissed them off

Having everything else in order like L plates, tax, insurance, tyres, exhaust, safe driving and your test letter and i reckon...and i could be wrong...but any sensible guard will let you off

I didnt want to jinx myself my driving today, i got the bus ..and i'm off on hols for 2 weeks...then i will risk the grand by doing all of the above :eek::eek::P

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Claire_lou1983

I left my L plates up and my car in the driveway. Have organised a lift to and from work until I pass my driving test, I am not risking getting a fine. I can think of a lot more fun things to spend €1k on to be honest!!!

I am only driving 3 months, not very confident, very young looking and driving a micra will be pulled over in a heartbeat :P

I dont live with anyone who drives but will go out with my Dad the odd night. He has never driven and does not hold a licence, however its practice in between my pre test lessons!!

• Advertisement

He has never driven and does not hold a licence, however its practice in between my pre test lessons!!

:eek:
    You are driving unaccompanied in this situation!
    Please try and find a friend or relation, anyone with a license for 2 years to accompany you, i would hate to see you end up with a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Ok so I decided to take my plates down this morning as I drove 420 kms today, Limerick to Clongriffin (Dublin) and back. The only L plates I saw on the way up were parked. Saw one or 2 on M50 on the way back, and saw about 5-6 driving about Limerick this evening.

Didn't come across any check points. I'm also carrying my confirmation letter of test which is at the end of July, but I'm considering putting the plates back up to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Mrs N drove through a gardai checkpoint in templeogue today with the coppers pulling anyone who looked 17-23, she said there were 3 cars pulled in by them when she went through it. She was waved through the young lad behind in her mirror was stopped....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I saw 4 L plates on the way to work, 2 of which were unaccompanied. Its definately a lot less than usual. I am not one to criticise Learners as I was one and a very scared one at that but I was driving behind one this morning on a 100km/h road and she was doing 48 and holding up loads of traffic. Coming up to a roundabout she drifted over and back between the two lanes before indicating suddenly to the right and parking herself at the line on the right hand lane. I looked over and I saw her with an SGS tester in the car :eek:

I digress, anyway both of my L plate housemates have decided to leave the plates on and hope for the best and not draw attention to themselves. Both are doing tests in the next 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Please try and find a friend or relation, anyone with a license for 2 years to accompany you, i would hate to see you end up with a fine.
    Barring an accident, the chances of him (the dad) having to produce must be very slim. I could count on one finger the number of times I've had to produce in years of driving here. Very different in other countries.

As said above, drive carefully, keep to the speed limit, try not to drive unaccompanied (might encourage you to take your fully licenced granny* out for a drive), check everything about your car is in order, dont attract attention by acting the idiot breaking lights, overtaking dangerously, etc.

Make it easy for the gardai to choose who to come down hard on.

Theres a thought, I wonder do expired licences count for accompaniers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Listening to Red Fm there, some poor chap rang in to say he got the €1k fine this morning in Charleville...

Any ideas of the circumstances around this?

If he was a guy who'd taken down his L plates and was driving a lowered civic with a mad exhaust I could well believe it.

I'm honestly hoping that common sense will prevail in all of this when it comes to enforcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭DjDangerousDave

As for the cops not directly targeting learner drivers, I saw a checkpoint today beside liffey vally and not only were they checking for tax and insurance they were asking a lot of drivers 40% - 50% to produice a licence.

Its about time that something was done to bring Ireland in line with the rest of the world.

Up until the point that there is testing on demand I don't think it would be realistic to police this with a heavy hand. If and when on demand testing comes along, there'll truly be no excuse.

As for "average" test waiting periods... BS. I applied for my test 5 and a half weeks ago and haven't got a date yet. Anyone else get the sinking feeling that a certain % of the tests are given out REALLY soon to give the false appearance of shorter waiting times?

Hanley wrote: »
    Up until the point that there is testing on demand I don't think it would be realistic to police this with a heavy hand. If and when on demand testing comes along, there'll truly be no excuse.

As for "average" test waiting periods... BS. I applied for my test 5 and a half weeks ago and haven't got a date yet. Anyone else get the sinking feeling that a certain % of the tests are given out REALLY soon to give the false appearance of shorter waiting times?

The system has changed, your just going to have to deal with it. The government are no longer issueing Provisional Licences, they are now issueing Learners Permits. Note the difference. You have a permit to learn. And to learn you must be mentored my a fully licenced driver or a Registered RSA driving instructor.

• Advertisement

The system has changed, your just going to have to deal with it. The government are no longer issueing Provisional Licences, they are now issueing Learners Permits. Note the difference. You have a permit to learn. And to learn you must be mentored my a fully licenced driver or a Registered RSA driving instructor.

I know that. I think EVERYONE knows that at this stage. There is no need to repeat it again...

There have been numerous threads about it recently. I think this particular one would probably be used for it's original intention....

I know that. I think EVERYONE knows that at this stage. There is no need to repeat it again...

There have been numerous threads about it recently. I think this particular one would probably be used for it's original intention....

There clearly is a need to repeat it, as many holders of the learners permit have been driving with no L plate and and no mentor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

There clearly is a need to repeat it, as many holders of the learners permit have been driving with no L plate and and no mentor.

Do you think that's because they haven't been told? Because if they already know, then maybe repeating it won't do any good.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Do you think that's because they haven't been told? Because if they already know, then maybe repeating it won't do any good.

Perhaps.

Lets leave this thread go back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

a certain % of the tests are given out REALLY soon to give the false appearance of shorter waiting times?
    It's irrelevant as the times gives are AVERAGE times. That is the whole point of doing averages. Any other way would be pointless.

Perhaps.

Lets leave this thread go back on topic.

Yes. Let's.

It's irrelevant as the times gives are AVERAGE times. That is the whole point of doing averages. Any other way would be pointless.

I'm aware of that, my point is tho that it is seems quite easy to manipulate these average times to bring them in line with targets.... The average waiting times as stated are a pretty worthless measure by the looks of things, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm aware of that, my point is tho that it is seems quite easy to manipulate these average times to bring them in line with targets.... The average waiting times as stated are a pretty worthless measure by the looks of things, tbh.

You'd have to give out as many ridiculously early tests as ridiculously late tests. By the definition of average, it all balances out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kittycat275

I left my L plates up and my car in the driveway. Have organised a lift to and from work until I pass my driving test, I am not risking getting a fine. I can think of a lot more fun things to spend €1k on to be honest!!!

I am only driving 3 months, not very confident, very young looking and driving a micra will be pulled over in a heartbeat :P

I dont live with anyone who drives but will go out with my Dad the odd night. He has never driven and does not hold a licence, however its practice in between my pre test lessons!!

I think the foreigner who doesn't have many friends and relations would be in the same situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm aware of that, my point is tho that it is seems quite easy to manipulate these average times to bring them in line with targets.... .
    I don't understand your point. :confused:

Even if the RSA wanted to allocate tests early to 'massage' the figures, they could only do so if they had vacancies. If they had vacancies they would strive to fill them rather than waste them. Why do you think that tests allocated sooner than average should not be counted? Do you think that these are phantom tests which don't really exist? How is allocating tests earlier a bad thing? I thought it's what many learners want.
    Hanley wrote:
    The average waiting times as stated are a pretty worthless measure by the looks of things, tbh
    What would you prefer?
    "The longest wait at the moment is 345 days and the shortest is 1 day"

That would be really useful!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement