Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who are Aidan and Paddy?!?

• 30-06-2008 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

What or where did montrose pull these two beauts from? TY radio by any chance? Or wait they've a piece of paper to say they can sit behind a mic... Would have much preferred Dave Redmond or Will Leahy in there for the two weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Heard them this morning; god they were shockin'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Presumably they were replacing Colm & Jim-Jim or something? If it was Colm & Jim-Jim, i refuse to believe that there is worse than them out there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Believe Aidan is Aidan Power from TTV and 'The Cafe' on RTE2, don't know who the other dude is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Only heard a couple of minutes of them this morning and all I can say is they they were different. It will be interesting to see how they do nearer the end of their stint when they have settled in. They sound young so its nice to see the youth service blooding new talent . ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Blooding in new talent is one thing. Throwing them in the deep end is another. Chris Moyles wasn't just handed the breakfast show on Radio 1.
    This is the bit that RTE fail to get right over and over. I did so much channel hopping this morning again. Nothing appeals to me. It got so bad that I actually resorted to q102 and suprisingly enough there was a presenter with talent... Cooperman standing in for Foxy Jock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

Would have much preferred Dave Redmond or Will Leahy in there for the two weeks.

I was thinking that myself. I think Michael Cahill would have been a good choice too.
    Where has Shane O'Donohue gone? Didn't he replace Marty Whelan during his holidays?

Without going off on a tangent, why is there a need for comedy (or attempt at comedy) in the morning on Irish radio? There are lots of presenters who can be entertaining and listenable without the need to try and to be funny, like the "cock" thing Colm and JimJim went over last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hybie

Paddy is the guy who does does bits for the saturday show with ruth i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

That Aidan chap is half decent. He's proven that he can speak, and he doesn't fumble in live situations.

By placing him temporarily in a high profile broadcast slot beside someone "funny*" (*Disclaimer - Paddy is not considered funny by anyone possessing a sense of humour. Paddy is only considered funny by Rté employees and his mother. And even she's a little tired of the 'noisy culchie' thing now) , One would wonder if this is Rté's latest effort at turning Power into a mini Dermot O Leary....

So, odds on whether we should watch out for him helming whatever reality crap Rte churn out this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

I've heard that Paddy chap reading the sports news a few times and it's definitely the worst accent on radio. he ranks right up there with Ciaran Mulooly on RTE1. :mad:

I certainly won't be tuning into the Aiden and Paddy show.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

bbability wrote: »
    Blooding in new talent is one thing. Throwing them in the deep end is another. Chris Moyles wasn't just handed the breakfast show on Radio 1.
    This is the bit that RTE fail to get right over and over. I did so much channel hopping this morning again. Nothing appeals to me. It got so bad that I actually resorted to q102 and suprisingly enough there was a presenter with talent... Cooperman standing in for Foxy Jock.

Thats a sure sign that the aging process is in full swing.;)

Seriously though RTE can never win. People are constantly moaning about 2fm not living up to its purpose, ie a Youth service. Yet when they do take a chance on some young talent they are slated after one programme for not being good enough.

Give them a break and lets see how they are doing nearer the end of their stint. It's still too short a time to be conclusive about anything but we may get an indication if they have what it takes when they are more relaxed and settled.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »

Seriously though RTE can never win. People are constantly moaning about 2fm not living up to its purpose, ie a Youth service. Yet when they do take a chance on some young talent they are slated after one programme for not being good enough.

Give them a break and lets see how they are doing nearer the end of their stint. It's still too short a time to be conclusive about anything but we may get an indication if they have what it takes when they are more relaxed and settled.
    Fair enough, give the Aiden lad a chance as he's done some TV work and seems like an ok chap. But Paddy is just a sports news reader with zero talent. The breakfast show is a bridge too far for him.

LOL

You maybe right. But having said that you don't see the BBC putting Blue Peter presenters in to cover Chris Moyles whilst he takes a well deserved break. Do you know what I'm trying to say....

Anyway I've become a big fan of Phantom as an alternative to the rest in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

that aiden chap used to dj on a pirate station around templeogue in dublin about ten years ago as far as i remember, i think it was called freedom fm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭georgem25

anything is an improvement on Colm & Jim-Jim

georgem25 wrote: »
    anything is an improvement on Colm & Jim-Jim

so who do you listen to george?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 waifster59

Hi guys,

I'm a fairly regular poster on the boards - mostly in search of band members (ah for a good bass player...) -and i stumbled across the thread...

I'm Paddy McKenna of the Brekkie show and I thought why not sure I'll respond...

Aidan and I are keeping Colm and JimJIm's seats warm for the next few weeks and it's been an eye opening experience to say the least!

The 4.30am starts is weird as hell but you slowly get used to it - i think!

It was always gonna take a bit of time to bed into the shift and being honest from day one, we just said 'we're just here for a couple o weeks when the boys are away, let's have fun with it'...

I appreciate everyone's comments and I can say we listen to all feedback, good or bad as long as it's constructive I guess...

It took a few days for the show to settle down a bit but I believe it's moving us for now and I feel its starting to flow. I'm quite happy with it and I know we can get better...

Anyway, I'm sure let let us know what ye think! We're enjoying doing it and I hope you'll tune in...

FOr the record, I've been a journalist in the news room for the past three years presenting the young people's news on The Den News2day til last September - doing mostly TV and Radio sport since then and The Sat Show with Ruth which is great fun...

All the best,

Paddy :D

waifster59 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm a fairly regular poster on the boards - mostly in search of band members (ah for a good bass player...) -and i stumbled across the thread...

I'm Paddy McKenna of the Brekkie show and I thought why not sure I'll respond...

Aidan and I are keeping Colm and JimJIm's seats warm for the next few weeks and it's been an eye opening experience to say the least!

It was always gonna take a bit of time to bed into the shift and being honest from day one, we just said 'we're just here for a couple o weeks when the boys are away, let's have fun with it'...

I appreciate everyone's comments and I can say we listen to all feedback, good or bad as long as it's constructive I guess...

It took a few days for the show to settle down a bit but I believe it's moving us for now and I feel its starting to flow. I'm quite happy with it and I know we can get better...

Anyway, I'm sure let let us know what ye think! We're enjoying doing it and I hope you'll tune in...

FOr the record, I've been a journalist in the news room for the past three years presenting the young people's news on The Den News2day til last September - doing mostly TV and Radio sport since then and The Sat Show with Ruth which is great fun...

All the best,

wow, is this the real Paddy or is someone taking the piss? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Hi guys,

well if it is, i stand by what i said that youse weren't great on monday morning. By the same token, i'm sure when i started my present job i mightn't have been the best either. In fact, five years on, i've still got a way to go.

Best of luck and for putting your head above the parapet alone...kudos!

Thanks Grumpy Trousers - I have to say MOnday wasn't vintage but the last time I got up for at 4.30 am i was on my way to London for a weekend on the lock...It was a shock to the system to say the least! - I genuinely think it's settled down and getting better - a way to go yet but as you say the day you don't improve is the day you're going backwards...

Paddy:)

p.s. I.m not taking the piss - sure why not respond - it's what the boards are about.... Cheers !

Thanks Grumpy Trousers - I have to say MOnday wasn't vintage but the last time I got up for at 4.30 am i was on my way to London for a weekend on the lock...It was a shock to the system to say the least! - I genuinely think it's settled down and getting better - a way to go yet but as you say the day you don't improve is the day you're going backwards...

p.s. I.m not taking the piss - sure why not respond - it's what the boards are about.... Cheers !

OK, fair play to ya for coming on here I suppose. :) I actually haven't listened to any of the shows yet. Maybe tomorrow I'll tune in and see what all the fuss is about. :p

where are you from anyway, Paddy? Drogheda or Caaaaavan or where?

• Advertisement

Fair play for posting in this thread Waifster and being so open and honest . Ye were really thrown in at the deep end so it was never going to be perfect from day one. From what I have heard of the show I would imagine it would appeal to a younger audience than Colm and JimJim and that may account for some of the negativity.

Your comments here indicate you have a positive attitude towards improving the show so the best of luck to the three of you .

el diablo wrote: »
    Fair enough, give the Aiden lad a chance as he's done some TV work and seems like an ok chap. But Paddy is just a sports news reader with zero talent. The breakfast show is a bridge too far for him.
    el diablo wrote: »
    I actually haven't listened to any of the shows yet. Maybe tomorrow I'll tune in and see what all the fuss is about.

So you slated the guy without even having heard the show. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Paddy, i'm gonna put you to the test....

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
    GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do I win????????????????? (I didn't take a breath there I was just trying to shorten the width of this thing :D)

Paddy, i'm gonna put you to the test....

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
    GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do I win????????????????? (I didn't take a breath there I was just trying to shorten the width of this thing :D)

Ring in next week, we were hoping to get some ladies on but all men I'm afraid - suppose ladies don't want to admit to packing heat!
    I'm a Leitrim man myslef - the accent is my own - can't be helped! Proud of it even! Anyway, thanks for your all comments.... See yiz all next week between 6 and 9am....Looking forward to it...

P:D

So you slated the guy without even having heard the show. The mind boggles.

I'd heard a few mixed reports of the breakfast show and also heard Paddy on the sports news a few times. But maybe i judged him too quickly. he seems like a sound enough chap i suppose. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Hi guys,

All the best,

Cant say I've heard the show Paddy (if thats you ;))primarily because the other 2 lads are caught in a retro universe where dodgy jingles, some D4 tosser and Jim Jim's dad are invariably on FFS, but I'll tune in tomorrow. Must be hard working with yer man Aidan though, talk about making a tough job harder ;)

Best of luck with it though, you seem to have the right attitude, take the pi** for the 2 weeks, what are gonna do sack ya :D

Ring in next week, we were hoping to get some ladies on but all men I'm afraid - suppose ladies don't want to admit to packing heat!
    I'm a Leitrim man myslef - the accent is my own - can't be helped! Proud of it even! Anyway, thanks for your all comments.... See yiz all next week between 6 and 9am....Looking forward to it...

P:D

I am probably the closest person on boards to your home plac.Aleitrm village man!:)

I like the shw.Best of luck with it.

Well hats off to you for responding. These days it seems boards gets a solicitors letter concering posts like this from radio presenters.

Anywho just to clear up my little grievence (and it wasn't at the presenters). It is the fact that you and the other fella have being thrown in the deep end rather than been given a slot that would break you into mainstream peak time radio.
    Would the boss not have been better moving another presenter such as Will Leahy into that slot and maybe giving you and Aidan a crack at a slot in the evening?

Having said that best of luck to you both with the rest of the week. You can certainly hear that your giving it your best shot. I could only wish for a slot like that in my day....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Heya Paddy!,
    Fair play to ya for posting.Was listening in on the way to work this morning and have to say while I'm more of a Chris Moyles fan,ye were sounding good and wide awake..and it wasent even 7 o' clock:D. Definetly a refreshing change from 'Ronan and Stephen' every 5 minutes in the Morning!
    Good Luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Fair play for posting Paddy. Ye're only young fellas and ye're doing well so don't mind the begrudgers ;) Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭patrickc

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Fair play for posting Paddy. Ye're only young fellas and ye're doing well so don't mind the begrudgers ;) Best of luck with it.

+1 well done to ye both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

Hi guys,

All the best,

I have a feeling its a sad person with no life.

Listened to the show this morning on foot of ths thread, its actually easier on the ear than the usual two clowns, er I mean presenters ;)

Paddy, fair play to you, you have taken to it very well, seem to be enjoying yourself anyway, you must be drinking coffee to beat the band to be that awake so early! I bet your bollixed by 10am lol. If you didnt call it the Aidan & Paddy show I would have guessed Paddy was Neil Delamere and Aidan was Craig Doyle, whats the story with his put on accent, hes trying waaaay too hard :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

While i haven't heard the show once, i love the way this thread went from a "ZOMG - They're terrible get them off" to "Hey, not bad, at least they're trying" after your man posted...

dulpit wrote: »
    While i haven't heard the show once, i love the way this thread went from a "ZOMG - They're terrible get them off" to "Hey, not bad, at least they're trying" after your man posted...

LOL ! As I was saying above I only tuned in just to hear how bad / good the show was. Its no worse than the shoite thats rolled out on a daily basis by Colm & Jim Jim tbh so thats what I'm grading it against :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

dulpit wrote: »

Not necessarily, if Ray Foley posted on here I'd still tell him to go and shite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Stop putting yourself down there John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Not necessarily, if Ray Foley posted on here I'd still tell him to go and shite.
    +1 LOL

I have to agree john - getting up at 4.30am each morning does leave you with no life whatsoever!
    Anyway, tomorrow is our last day I hope yiz all tune in. We appreciate all your feedback and the show - despite the early starts - has been an enjoyable experience....
    I have the ultimate respect for Colm and JimJim and anyone who does breakfast radio - if it sounds easy, its because they're doing a good job!

See y'all on the boards again soon - and if you know of any decent bass players do let me know - i'm trying to cobble a band together! Seriously!

Paddy McKenna:D

myspace.com/waifrock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dearg- Doom

fair play to ye paddy not many on the radio sound as wired as yerself at 6 in the mornin makes a refreshing change....yer man aiden was a bit dry on it though
    what sort of a band are ye tryin to get together? influences ???

• Advertisement

I have the ultimate respect for Colm and JimJim and anyone who does breakfast radio - if it sounds easy, its because they're doing a good job!

TBH they dont make it sound easy they generally waffle their way thru the show and the "gags" they run are poor at best.

I understand that you have to be seen to support them which is fair enough ;)

If you get another craic at it Paddy see if you can get your co-host a few cans of red bull or failing that put a rocket up his hoop, as the above poster said hes a tad on the dry side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I think Colm and JimJim should stay on their hols...Give Paddy the show...

Advertisement