Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Licence needed for a cbr 250cc?

• 30-06-2008 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

Im 21 and have a full car license. If i want to drive a bike do i have to get a separate bike licence? What licence is required for a honda cbr 250cc? Would I be able to drive one on a provisional bike license if there is such a thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

I drive a CBR 250 on a provisional licence no bother.
    You can also drive a Bros 400 on a provisional.
    Both bikes are bulletproof and very reliable though its hard
    to come by clean examples nowadays...

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

Your full car licence only allows you to drive automatic mopeds up to 50cc
    For any motor cycle you need a seperate licence

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Rhodney

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Im 21 and have a full car license. If i want to drive a bike do i have to get a separate bike licence? What licence is required for a honda cbr 250cc? Would I be able to drive one on a provisional bike license if there is such a thing?

cb250 is learner legal not sure of CBR250
    i ride a 600cc bandit on learner permit ...and the bike is reestricted..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Rhodney wrote: »
    cb250 is learner legal not sure of CBR250
    i ride a 600cc bandit on learner permit ...and the bike is reestricted..

Ah for f*ck sake would you shut up with this "learner legal" sh*te !!! The CBR250 has nearly 40bhp and its not within the restriction of 33bhp for someone on a provisional licence.

OP look at the stickys at the top of this forum and you'll see some links for the different types of licences and what you are restricted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Rhodney

KTRIC wrote: »
    Ah for f*ck sake would you shut up with this "learner legal" sh*te !!! The CBR250 has nearly 40bhp and its not within the restriction of 33bhp for someone on a provisional licence.

OP look at the stickys at the top of this forum and you'll see some links for the different types of licences and what you are restricted to.

nice one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

rode a cbr250 on a provo licence for a year & did my test on it without any problems. as long as it is taxed & insured you should have no problems if stopped. the fact that it is over the 33bhp limt probably voids your insurance though, in the even of any accidents...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

ambasite wrote: »
    rode a cbr250 on a provo licence for a year & did my test on it without any problems. as long as it is taxed & insured you should have no problems if stopped. the fact that it is over the 33bhp limt probably voids your insurance though, in the even of any accidents...

if you're stopped by someone in the know, and they feel like it, they can do you for driving without a license

bottom line really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I think we should have a sticky saying if you have to ask you can't legally ride it. As that seems to be the general rule with these threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

All CBR 250s are restricted. They are all imported this way. It is a rev/speed restricter set to 180kph. I beleave it falls into the power to weight ratio ok. I also know a few people that have done their full tests on them. With out any questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

sutty wrote: »
    All CBR 250s are restricted. They are all imported this way. It is a rev/speed restricter set to 180kph. I beleave it falls into the power to weight ratio ok. I also know a few people that have done their full tests on them. With out any questions.

I done my test on a CBR 250R, nothing mentioned by the tester.
    and as for it being limited to 180 the bike can hardly do 130, i'm not sure what the 250 or 250RR can get up to.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I've gotten 170 outa the misses CBR250rr and I'm 16stone! Bike feels like its 2up with me on it lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Do they ask for proof of restriction at the time of the test? I did mine on a restricted 500 but was not asked any questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's nothing to do with the CC's or HP's btw and all down to the power to weight ratio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Odysseus wrote: »
    Do they ask for proof of restriction at the time of the test? I did mine on a restricted 500 but was not asked any questions.

i wasn't asked for any proof last year when i did the test. just had to show tax, insurance & licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

I know people who have done tests on 1000cc superbikes. The thing you sign at the test is a full disclaimer, stating that you are insured to ride the bike you've chosen to be tested on - its up to the individual to make a false declaration if they wish, but dont be implying that any bike you can be tested on is 'learner legal', as the testers do not enforce restriction law.

I was insured with no problems, I was tested no problems, I went though a tax check point with no problems etc etc - these are not validations for a bike to 'learner legal'. You can close your eyes and play dumb to the fact, but if your bike is >33hp, its not legal to be riden on a prov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Wossack wrote: »
    I know people who have done tests on 1000cc superbikes. The thing you sign at the test is a full disclaimer, stating that you are insured to ride the bike you've chosen to be tested on - its up to the individual to make a false declaration if they wish, but dont be implying that any bike you can be tested on is 'learner legal', as the testers do not enforce restriction law.

I was insured with no problems, I was tested no problems, I went though a tax check point with no problems etc etc - these are not validations for a bike to 'learner legal'. You can close your eyes and play dumb to the fact, but if your bike is >33hp, its not legal to be riden on a prov

Well said Wossack ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,453 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wossack wrote: »
    if your bike is >33hp, its not legal to be riden on a prov

Wrong, Irish law has the power-to-weight exemption so your bike can be over 33hp if it's heavy enough. A CBR250 isn't anything like heavy enough though.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

ninja900 wrote: »
    Wrong, Irish law has the power-to-weight exemption so your bike can be over 33hp if it's heavy enough. A CBR250 isn't anything like heavy enough though.

Bit of a minefield that, Ive heard people who should be in the know say that it has to be under both and others say its only one or the other. Was told by a guard that it was both though so I'll go with that

BlueBandit wrote: »
    Bit of a minefield that

The law is perfectly clear in what it says. Either below 33hp OR below the power to weight ratio. Now we all know that the EU directive stipulates AND, but that's irrelevant, Irish law is as it is.
    Ive heard people who should be in the know say that it has to be under both

I've heard people who should be in the know tell me all sorts of ridiculous things about bikes and biking which weren't remotely true. There is a lot of pub talk shyte about motoring in this country and a strong belief in popular myths.
    Was told by a guard that it was both though so I'll go with that

A lot of gardai don't have a clue about the law as it applies to bikes. (e.g. asking for insurance discs... :rolleyes: or being convinced that a bike over X cc could not possibly be learner legal.) In the end what they think doesn't matter a damn, there isn't a court in the country that could convict you if your bike is within the power to weight ratio but over 33hp, because THAT'S LEGAL. End of.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

Cool, just saying what I was told

• Advertisement

No problem BB, but it's amazing the way people believe myths about motoring (cars and bikes) because they heard it off someone who heard it off someone who lives next door to a guard's brother... etc. etc. rather than actually looking at what's printed on their licence, or in the rules of the road. For example, what is a 'fast lane' - according to the rules of the road there is no such thing, but that's what most people call it and it gives the impression you can cruise in it if you are going 'fast' ('fast' being whatever speed you want to do, and never mind the people behind you!)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Back again! Just to clarify it, if I get a cbr250rr and get it resticted to below the 33hp, then I can ride it on a provisional A licence?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Back again! Just to clarify it, if I get a cbr250rr and get it resticted to below the 33hp, then I can ride it on a provisional A licence?
    Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This is from the Road Traffic Act:
    “17. A person granted a provisional licence for the first time on or after 15 November 1999 to drive vehicles in category A, shall, during the validity of all provisional licences and subsequently until a period of having held a valid licence in the category for 2 years, be restricted to driving only those vehicles in the said category which have a power output not exceeding 25 kW or a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg, or in the case of vehicles in the said category with sidecars, with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg.”,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,574 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

So would be CB400 be learner legal because its a heavy bike or must i get it restriced, no idea where to get this info

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

TheDriver wrote: »
    So would be CB400 be learner legal because its a heavy bike or must i get it restriced, no idea where to get this info
    The recommended interpretation of the law is simply below 33bhp, without any consideration of weight. Afaik the law has yet to be tested here, and until it is, all we can do is make a best guess on how it would be upheld in court.

Open to correction, as I havent followed any changes in the last while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Oryx wrote: »
    The recommended interpretation of the law is simply below 33bhp, without any consideration of weight. Afaik the law has yet to be tested here, and until it is, all we can do is make a best guess on how it would be upheld in court.

Open to correction, as I havent followed any changes in the last while.
    There is no recommended interpretation, there is only the wording of the law, which you can see in eoin_s' post #25. It refers to an 'or' situation, one of the options being clearly related to weight. Were I in a learner situation, I would have no hesitation in riding a motorcycle that meets the legal power to weight requirement.

Cheers lads but where do I find out what my bike would be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

RasTa wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with the CC's or HP's btw and all down to the power to weight ratio.

It has to do with either.

This is how you calculated Motorcycle Power to weight ratio;

Claimed HP of CR250 is 40 X 0.74569 = 29.8kw

29.8kw/weight 158kg = 0.19kw/kg

As Eoin S quotes;

be restricted to driving only those vehicles in the said category which have a power output not exceeding 25 kW or a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg, or in the case of vehicles in the said category with sidecars, with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg

So the CBR250 fails on both counts and needs a restrictor. If it was less than 33bhp OR had a power to weight ratio of less than 0.16kw/kg it would be learner legal straight out of the box.

Having said that there isn't a Garda alive who would know this.

Having said that - getting it wrong does invalidate your insurance.

• Advertisement

I'm having great trouble finding the power of my 1995 cb400, all the quotes on power by google are for the newer post 99 engine (ivtec?), anyone know where I can find this out?

Advertisement