Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quaestion about learning Japanese

Options
  • 30-06-2008 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,
    Was wondering does one need to know how to read Japanese to understand the language? Going down the Pimsleur route, with the objective of learning how to understand it to listen, and little else (english dubs for anime is usually bad, and subs aren't always readable, when there's actin going on).

Also, has anyone done the Pimsleur route, and is it any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

My girlfriend listened to the Pimsleur tapes, and she didn't really like them. I listened to them too and it seemed a terrible way to learn a language. She didn't stick with it though, so I can't comment on results...

If you only want to listen, I'd say a combination of self-study and language exchange is the best way to go. There are tonnes of resources on the web for self-study, but most are aimed at the writing system - which is by far the hardest part. Japanese grammar is rather straightforward once you get started.

I know that there also was a language exchange in the Ilac Library in Dublin, so it might be worth going there to expose yourself to the language. There's also a fairly active Japan-Ireland society in Dublin, who do regular meet-ups and offer you the chance to mix with Japanese people. They're on facebook, if you give them a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

You don't need to be able to read, but if you're serious about learning Japanese long-term, I'd very much recommend at very least getting acquainted with the kana (see stickies). They're not difficult to learn, and they'll be of help if you visit Japan (particularly katakana).

The Pimsleur stuff isn't great, but it's better than nothing. Japanesepod101.com is much better imo (and free).

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

I disagree with what others have said above about Pimsleur. I have used Pimsleur Japanese Levels 2 and 3, and Pimsleur Introductory Lithuanian. Admittedly it's expensive, but within the limits of what it sets out to do (listening and speaking only, no reading, no explicit grammar), the Pimsleur method works really well, if you use it exactly as intended.

That means, one lesson per day. Every day. I did the 30 lessons of Part 2 in 30 days, then 2 days' break, then the 30 lessons of Part 3 in 30 days. I promise you, if you do this, you will gain a working knowledge of the spoken language, with seemingly no effort other than listen and repeat for half an hour a day. Of course it will help if you have an opportunity to speak and hear Japanese in other contexts.

My only regret about Pimsleur is that there are no more advanced levels available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Check out japanesepod101.com and compare it to Pimsleur. I doubt you'll be recommending Pimsleur anymore afterward.

Advertisement