Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM's and receipt

Options
  • 30-06-2008 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

Are people who use ATM entitled to a receipt if the machine has a 'request a receipt' choice. The bank say the machine is out of order and will be fixed. Have said it for a few weeks, do they have obligation to provide receipt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I think so. You could always go into the bank and withdraw over the counter. You'll get a reciept then.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I doubt it.

Where would the requirement be?

Although many that I've seen inform you that receipts are unavailable and give you a chance to back out. So perhaps by agreeing that it's OK, you're waiving whatever rights may or may not be present.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

It's for Environmental reasons they do not automatically issue them to you, cutting down on paper waste and ink use. Quite right I say. If you require one they will print one out for you. You can also request one to be sent out to you by post. Received in 2/3 working days. There is also online banking where you can view your balance anytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

DenMan wrote: »
    If you require one they will print one out for you. .
    this machine won't. It offers the option but when chosen the machine pops up a message 'this machine cannot print receipts'
    My question is are they breaking any consumer law. I understand the environmental aspect I do not litter with mine, it is a handy way to see balance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

this machine won't. It offers the option but when chosen the machine pops up a message 'this machine cannot print receipts'
    My question is are they breaking any consumer law. I understand the environmental aspect I do not litter with mine, it is a handy way to see balance

No, because you can still request a receipt in the Bank. or if you really want you can also request a full statement to be posted out via the ATM Machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

you can always just check the balance onscreen at the machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

How can it be breaking a law? A retail must give a receipt for your purchases to ensure you can return an item if its faulty.

You get a bank statement with all your withdrawals, the machine informs you that it cannot give a receipt, but you still proceed? And its not as if its the only machine in the area, so you can use another machine which will give recipts if you really want one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ECOLOGICAL

Denman is correct in what is said atm receipts only are environmental waste .In Germany there is no receipt printer in any atm .There should be no need to obtain a receipt from any atm these days .I can totally sympathise with anyone who thinks they need a receipt from an atm but take it from me from person who used to fix atms one time in Ireland and London every transaction is logged on electronic and paper journal in atm .Every transaction to hour and second is recorded and whether transaction is successful or not .Suspect transactions( transaction where note jams occur or suspect wrong note issued ) which are basically very rare these days due in fact to atms been so technologically advanced in terms of software ,electronics sensors for notes etc ,maintenance done on them.These are logged and flagged to atm controls by all banks both on journal roll and electronically.Basically the banks invest millions every year in Ireland on upgrading software and hardware and maintenance on atms and if you ever have a suspect transaction on atm issued wrong money by atm you can contact customer service desk in any branch and they can investigate it but of billions of transactions done every year I would safely say you don't need a receipt from atm when it says it issues stated money you can guarantee it has .If machine does have fault it won't issues money will go out of service until operator checks status of atm aka note jam and in this case money will not come out of ones account .Do ya honestly think banks would trust a a receipt printer for any transaction there are multiple safeguards in place for all atms in banks these days to ensure atms are run smoothly without detriment to customer .Most atms also nowadays have anti skimming devices on their machines coupled with built cameras or ourtside cameras to monitor this type of atm fraud also .There is an EU directive also that by a certain date as far as I know in next couple of years that all atms will have receipt printers removed in EU as the amount of paper wasted in receipt printers is enormous trust me when in behind scene so many safeguards are in place to monitor every transaction on every atm .Receipt printers on atms are just not needed any more ,journal printers will always be there on atms and electronic journal holds all transactions in event journal printer fails .Atm will not work it will go out of service if journal recording faulty both electronically or on paper in journal printer.Hope this address's your concerns .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

mcaul wrote: »
    How can it be breaking a law? A retail must give a receipt for your purchases to ensure you can return an item if its faulty.
    you sure
    You get a bank statement with all your withdrawals, the machine informs you that it cannot give a receipt, but you still proceed?
    after the cash is withdrawn read what wrote
    And its not as if its the only machine in the area, so you can use another machine which will give recipts if you really want one.
    not relevant you guys here seem too eager to jump on people deal with your problem dont put on me and grow up. I now have profession advice on this so it can be closed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

If you just want to see the balance, use the option to show it on screen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement