Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for a skeptic.

Options
  • 30-06-2008 10:42pm

There is a friend of mine is a skeptic. Well actually no he is not. Just like other people on this forum , he just doesnt believe. This is not a crack at people here as i class myself as skeptical but it seems to differ from the beliefs of other people here , but anyway ......

He comes from a military background he is a total non believer in UFO's Ghosts, bigfoot ect.......

So i asked him if he was approached by a senior in the army and was told

"you know all this talk of aliens, its all bullsh!t"

Would you believe him ? He answered yes.

I then asked him if he was approached by a senior in the army and was told

"you know all this talk about aliens is true"

Would you believe him ? He answered no.

He calls himself Skeptical:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Well then he's a silly billy...

Is it the Irish army? Personally I wouldn't give much weight to the opinion of any Irish army personnel vis-a-vis aliens :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

That's because the amount of proof needed to say the alien ****e is true is way more than an officer saying it is.

Thats not the point i was getting at .It was the fact that he believed him on one thing and not the other .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Thats not the point i was getting at .It was the fact that he believed him on one thing and not the other .

Well if it was, then you phrased it badly. The story seemed to boil down to "I agree with people who say things that I believe are true." Seems pretty uncontroversial to me, if a bit banal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭johnsix

And how exactly does that not make him skeptical?
    Being skeptical doesn't mean believing in everything. It is believing in what the evidence supports. Believing that something might be possible, doesn't mean you believe it is true. It's possible that Russel's teapot exists, but then there is no evidence for it.
    The commander officer saying it's all true isn't the same as the officer showing him an alien, a flying saucer and 50 years worth of documents on the study of both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

Dre, what do you think a sceptic is?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

Dave! wrote: »
    Well then he's a silly billy...

Is it the Irish army? Personally I wouldn't give much weight to the opinion of any Irish army personnel vis-a-vis aliens :confused:
    ouch,,,lol,,,,do tell why

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    ouch,,,lol,,,,do tell why
    Well they've never shot down a UFO have they?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I suspect the OP is trolling. The idea of believing in something simply because someone in authority says so is more the characteristic of the believer in quack medicines etc.

SkepticOne wrote: »
    I suspect the OP is trolling. The idea of believing in something simply because someone in authority says so is more the characteristic of the believer in quack medicines etc.
    But they're wearing lab coats, they must know what they're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

There is a friend of mine is a skeptic. Well actually no he is not. Just like other people on this forum , he just doesnt believe. This is not a crack at people here as i class myself as skeptical but it seems to differ from the beliefs of other people here , but anyway ......

He comes from a military background he is a total non believer in UFO's Ghosts, bigfoot ect.......

So i asked him if he was approached by a senior in the army and was told

"you know all this talk of aliens, its all bullsh!t"

Would you believe him ? He answered yes.

I then asked him if he was approached by a senior in the army and was told

"you know all this talk about aliens is true"

Would you believe him ? He answered no.

He calls himself Skeptical:confused:

Ok. My brain must be broken. I don't get the point here at all. Sombody holds a view and maintains it regardless of whether a superior does or does not agree with him. Don't see what this has to do with being or not being skeptical????

SkepticOne wrote: »

So your skeptical of my post ? It wasnt a troll. Just a little thing that i had on my mind .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

So your skeptical of my post ? It wasnt a troll. Just a little thing that i had on my mind .

You seem to be suggesting that your friend should base his opinion of the army officer's statements independently of the plausibility of what he is saying.

If an army officer came up to me and said he has been in Chad recently on a UN peace keeping tour, I would probably believe him.

If the same officer came up to me and said he had just come back from the moon where we was working on a top secret UN moon base that will be critical in the coming human-alien war, I probably wouldn't.

Does that make me non-skeptical?

Advertisement