Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jury disagreements

• 30-06-2008 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭

How do jury disagreements work? In the law report in today's Irish Times, there was a case where a jury had reached a decision on one charge, but disagreed on other(s).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I presume when several charges are placed against a person n the same trial ( or against several defendants in the same trial) the jury may not agree on the same verdict for all charges or defendants. I think in Catherine Nevin she was acquitted on one of the 3(or4) charges against her.

are you referring to the law report about the two mistrials form Mon June30?

I presume a disagreement is where some jurors decide one way and more decide the other way? verdicts start off being unanimous and sometimes the judge lets 11-1 or 10-2 verdicts

Or do you mean what happens regarding the charge with no verdict? is it a mistrial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would say it is a mistrial and that the DPP can go again with a new jury panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Apologies, how does one get a jury disagreement, not what happens afterwards.

On the follouing scale, what counts as Guilty, Not guilty or Jury Disagreement?

Guilty: Not guilty
    0:12 = Not Guilty
    1:11 =
    2:10 =
    3:9 =
    4:8 =
    5:7 =
    6:6 =
    7:5 =
    8:4 =
    9:3 =
    10:2 =
    11:1 =
    12:0 = Guilty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'm guesing here but 3:9 -> 9:3
    and sometimes 10:2 &2:10

I've heard of cases were only 11:1 majority verdicts were allowed by the judge, not 10:2

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

First of all, the jury are given a unanimous charge i.e. they must all agree one way or the other. After some time (usually 2 hours) if they haven't made their minds up the judge can give them a majority charge. This means that they can bring in a verdict of at least 10 jurors. So there are two scales.

Unanimous charge

1:11 = hung jury / disagreement
    2:10 = hung jury / disagreement
    3:9 = hung jury / disagreement
    4:8 = hung jury / disagreement
    5:7 = hung jury / disagreement
    6:6 = hung jury / disagreement
    7:5 = hung jury / disagreement
    8:4 = hung jury / disagreement
    9:3 = hung jury / disagreement
    10:2 = hung jury / disagreement
    11:1 = hung jury / disagreement

Majority charge

1:11 = Not Guilty
    2:10 = Not Guilty
    3:9 = hung jury / disagreement
    4:8 = hung jury / disagreement
    5:7 = hung jury / disagreement
    6:6 = hung jury / disagreement
    7:5 = hung jury / disagreement
    8:4 = hung jury / disagreement
    9:3 = hung jury / disagreement
    10:2 = Guilty
    11:1 = Guilty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So having even one or two dissenting voices will result in a (formal) disagreement.

One wonders how there aren't more disagreements - are cases that clear cut? Surely in cases where the evidence was nearly good enough to convict, some people would say 'guilty'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is there a time limit where the judge will stop the jury and declare a mistrial?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Victor wrote: »
    So having even one or two dissenting voices will result in a (formal) disagreement.

I suppose so, but more likely it is at least 3 as it is rare that a judge wouldn't give a majority charge.
    Victor wrote: »
    One wonders how there aren't more disagreements - are cases that clear cut? Surely in cases where the evidence was nearly good enough to convict, some people would say 'guilty'?

Have you not seen twelve angry men? There's a Henry Fonda in every jury (but there's also a Lee J. Cobb). The Americans have done lots of studies on juries, one interesting thing I've heard is that early on a few jury members will establish themselves as dominant, and they will persuade the other jurors to vote with them. So herd mentality being what it is, the dissenters will often cave to pressure from the others (or so I imagine anyways).

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Is there a time limit where the judge will stop the jury and declare a mistrial?

Back in the bad old days, when jurys were locked in a room without food nor fire until they reached a verdict, it was usually when one of the jurors had died.

In modern times there is no limit, it's up to the Judge's discretion. In reality they will never deliberate for more than a few days. There are cases about how long the jury should deliberate on any given day, and I believe that keeping a jury after 7pm has been criticised by the Court of Criminal Appeal.

BTW, only an appeal court will declare a mistrial, if they cannot reach a verdict it's a jury disagreement or a hung jury.

Advertisement