Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crack in rear fork (seat stay)

Options
  • 30-06-2008 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hiya,

I stripped my bike down this eve for a clean and found the rear axle was slightly bent. A bit of hammering got it back straight again.

However the rear 'fork' (bottom of seat stay) that holds the axle has a crack in it. It's not all the way through laterally but looks significant.

The attached pics show the crack. Behind the 'black' steel frame is some soft metal that holds the gear derailleur. So there's 2 bits there.

Looks strong enough - but don't think I'll be hopping off any kerbs in the near future!

Think anyone would want the bike second hand? Is it safe?

It's a dawes 210 discovery hybrid.

Any input appreciated..

http://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1268adp5.jpg
    http://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1270anq1.jpg
    http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1269ayk1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'd bring it to a bike shop to get it looked at before I cycle it anymore. Best to be safe.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Looks cracked alright from the third picture. Wouldn't ride it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If it's a Dawes Discovery 201 it's aluminium, not steel. AFAIK you shouldn't really hammer aluminum like that, it won't bend like steel, it's brittle and will tend to crack rather than deform.

The softer bit is called a derailleur hanger- it's designed to be weaker so as to break off first before you damage the frame. It's entirely replaceable but your crack seems to be in the frame itself.

I'd have a bike shop look at it but to be honest I suspect anyone will tell you to write off the frame. If that cracked all the way though while you were riding I suspect it could be nasty, probably worse than something like a downtube going. On the other hand it is a small crack and there is still plenty of material around there, but maybe it is damaged too.

There may be some possibility of repair, but it would likely be uneconomical- I don't know; in fact I don't know what I'm talking about at all; best bring it to a bike shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i wouldn't ride that. a bent axle and cracked dropout? maybe you've been a bit heavy on the kerbs :pac:. if the frame has been pushed beyond its limits there may be other cracks under that paintwork too (at least that's what i'd be thinking every second of every ride).

you sure it's steel not aluminium? if it is steel i'd guess it would be easy enough to fix -if you can get someone who can weld. aluminium welding is a different story though, so if it is al it might need the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Find your receipt and look for a warranty. Most frames will have a warranty against defects over a few years and a crack like that is as a result of a defect in the material (not from jumping off kerbs, which you have not been doing on a hybrid bike, just regular riding along streets and cyclepaths).

You'll need to be prepared to be hardline yet tactful with them as often a shop will want to avoid the hassle of dealing with a warranty and they are usually your only route to the distributer (who actually handles the warranty).

From: http://www.dawescycles.com/dawes/warrenty-information.htm
    "Aluminium frame and rigid forks – 3 year from date of purchase."

Rob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Thanks for all the great replies. blorg the hammering was done on the axle to straighten it. not on the frame.

I will pursue it via the dealer to see if I can get something done under warranty.

I took the Luas to work this morning. The crack doesn't look safe and shouldn't be tested. As niceonetom said you'd only be thinking of disaster 'every second of every ride'.

Falling off is ok. Falling off into traffic ain't ;-)

Thanks again to all.

Advertisement