Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God Mod

Options
  • 30-06-2008 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

In the interests of free speech and the ethos of a balanced public Forum where people can post topics and subsequently debate them as free-thinking adults could the below thread-lock please be considered........?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56416354#post56416354

I sent the below argument via the "report" link - but am not sure if it just goes straight back to Peasant to be haughtily and righteouly poo-poo'ed a second time over in accordance with his personal outlook on motoring life in Eire 2008 - the conservative years :rolleyes:

p.s. I have no problem with the possibilty that the Motors Forum might not agree, jump on board etc. - but to have one man shoot a topic down on a whim? - Thats just too reactionary and unecessarily heavy handed for me :(
    Raiser wrote:
    ? VRT and Motoring are linked closely enough to justify this threads existance I believe - I also believe that the impulsive, heavy-handed closure of this thread is not Moderation and guardianship of the local standards/Forum Charter - but is instead rash Censorship in alignment with Peasants own personal views on this particular topic.

Why else should nobody else be allowed an opportuntity to express their own opinions?

Please let this thread live or die on its own merits or failings - I very sincerely don't believe the call is yours to make Peasant.

Posting this in Feedback too BTW as not too sure if the report function just feeds back to the original trigger happy, unimaginative drone ;-)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Raiser wrote: »
    Hey All,

In the interests of free speech and the ethos of a balanced public Forum where people can post topics and subsequently debate them as free-thinking adults could the below thread-lock please be considered........?

a: No free speech on Boards
    b: Privately owned forum
    Raiser wrote:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56416354#post56416354

I sent the below argument via the "report" link - but am not sure if it just goes straight back to Peasant to be haughtily and righteouly poo-poo'ed a second time over in accordance with his personal outlook on motoring life in Eire 2008 - the conservative years :rolleyes:

p.s. I have no problem with the possibilty that the Motors Forum might not agree, jump on board etc. - but to have one man shoot a topic down on a whim? - Thats just too reactionary and unecessarily heavy handed for me :(

Lisbon has nothing to do with VRT, VRT has nothing to do with the Lisbon Treaty. A thread called "Lets axe VRT with Lisbon II", as peasant said, is a non starter.

The locking was fine imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

1. It's a political issue, not a motors issue
    2. No free speech as Rb said.
    3. You're raving if you think the two are connected, VRT is a local government thing, not a Lisbon issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

It's a cross-post of a thread you created in AH... That's generally not liked.
    Poo-poo you sir. I defy you to ignore this poo-poo. Lives have been lost because of ignored poo-poo'ing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

First off ...thanks for popping my cherry, my first ever feedback thread, I'm honoured.

Secondly, standard procedure would be to raise your issue with the mod in question (me) first via pm, possibly consult any other motor mods as well via pm with a view to resolving the situation BEFORE you go off to the public wailing wall that is Feedback (and reported posts on top of it)

But anyway ...here are the reasons for closing your thread that I would also have given you via PM, had you asked.

1) it is not considered good manners on boards (all of boards) that when you start a thread in one forum and don't get the responses you think it deserves or that you agree with to then go and try and cross pollenate that thread by drumming up support for it in another forum. That alone is reason enough to close your thread in motors

2) your post is not a motoring issue. Yes, it contains the term "VRT" but it is a politcal pamphlet / rant that has no place in motors, hence my hint to take it to politics

3) your post is confused at best. VRT has nothing to do with the Lisbon treaty and it should have nothing to do with it either. Lisbon is Lisbon and belongs into the EU forum (or into Portugal) and VRT has been dicussed at great length before and over and over again in motors and I will not allow another VRT thread that starts on such a confused and diffuse footing as it will only end in tears and be locked anyway.

My decision to lock this thread stands.

EDIT ...geez ..you guys all type fast

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The lock seems fine.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Just to pre-empt you taking the advice of others here.

Any thread started on this in politics/EU forum will get the respect it deserves (ie. none).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Raiser, I'm not too impressed with your further soapboxing. You're dragging your own thread off-topic. Keep feedback in Feedback. It'd be a damn shame if it got the thread locked.
    Don't cross-post - if people want to read a thread in AH, they'll read it. They're only as blind as they want to be.

DeVore wrote: »
    The lock seems fine.

DeV.
    lolcatfunnypicturemoderxa5.jpg

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Simplicity

Gonna keep following me around, Mercury? How many sitebans will it take for you to get the message?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

hmmm, i thought this was a thread about me.
    how disappointing.

Rb wrote: »
    Gonna keep following me around, Mercury? How many sitebans will it take for you to get the message?

Very much so. I like you. You like me? :(

hmmm, i thought this was a thread about me.
    how disappointing.

wwhead :) Go kill a snake or something :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Had Peasant not deleted the post, I would have. The two items are not related and if a thread on the Lisbon sequel is to be had then it can be done elsewhere.
    Still, can the admins change Peasant's title to be a "God Mod"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

peasant wrote: »
    with edits - hope thats ok Peasant.....
    1) it is not considered good manners on boards (all of boards) that when you start a thread in one forum and don't get the responses you think it deserves or that you agree with to then go and try and cross pollenate that thread by drumming up support for it in another forum. That alone is reason enough to close your thread in motors

Sincerely, this has been your assumption and I recognise the route by which you happily arrived there Peasant. The trouble I have is that it does not fairly represent what actually occured. You as sole judge, jury and executioner arrived at this juncture, paused and laid down YOUR law - Boards.ie/Free Speech=0 Peasant=1
    peasant wrote:
    2) your post is not a motoring issue. Yes, it contains the term "VRT" but it is a politcal pamphlet / rant that has no place in motors, hence my hint to take it to politics

40% on the forecourt price of a self-propelled motoring vehicle does NOT equal a motoring issue ??? - WOW, I'm waiting for balloon animals, birthday-bumps and a bouncy castle, or ANYTHING else you might suddenly bring on to somehow distract me from reality :eek: Boards.ie/Free Speech=0 Peasant=2
    peasant wrote:
    3) your post is confused at best. VRT has nothing to do with the Lisbon treaty and it should have nothing to do with it either. Lisbon is Lisbon and belongs into the EU forum (or into Portugal) and VRT has been dicussed at great length before and over and over again in motors and I will not allow another VRT thread that starts on such a confused and diffuse footing as it will only end in tears and be locked anyway.

Hey! Your forgot one crucial thing which is very, very important on a public message board!!!! You forgot to humbly add that all of the above text was YOUR OWN OPINION. If I wanted this to be considered ONLY BY YOU I would have PM'd you, asked for your email address and then no doubt subsequently been horrified and crushed by your disagreement with my sentiment.

But not so. I didn't post this ONLY for Peasant to read and dismiss it was meant for discussion - what is the site here for in the first place? Where was the infraction? This is more MCD than boards.ie - ie, shut up and fcuk off. Boards.ie/Free Speech=0 Peasant=3
    My decision to lock this thread stands.

Please take a minute someday to let me know why Peasant

Sincerely, this has been your assumption and I recognise the route by which you happily arrived there Peasant. The trouble I have is that it does not fairly represent what actually occured. You as sole judge, jury and executioner arrived at this juncture, paused and laid down YOUR law - Boards.ie/Free Speech=0 Peasant=1

40% on the forecourt price of a self-propelled motoring vehicle does NOT equal a motoring issue ??? - WOW, I'm waiting for balloon animals, birthday-bumps and a bouncy castle, or ANYTHING else you might suddenly bring on to somehow disract me from reality :eek: Boards.ie/Free Speech=0 Peasant=2

Hey! Your forgot one crucial thing which is very, very important on a public message board!!!! You forgot to humbly add that all of the above text was YOUR OWN OPINION. If I wanted this to be considered ONLY BY YOU I would have PM'd you, asked for your email address and then no doubt subsequently been horrified and crushed by your disagreement with my sentiment.

But not so. I didn't post this ONLY for Peasant to read and dismiss it was meant for discussion - what is the site here for in the first place? Where was the infraction? This is more MCD than boards.ie - ie, shut up and fcuk off. Boards.ie/Free Speech=0 Peasant=3

Please get over your notion of free speech as there really isn't such a thing.

The moderators are volunteers who give their time to keep this site running smoothly.
    Your post was not a motors discussion. You wanted people to discuss a local tax in a non existent European referendum. The moderator decided that it wasn't relevant - a view that is backed up by myself (another motors mod) and by some of the admins and don't think that we are ganging up on you.

They're the moderator, they make the judgements on the forum they moderate. They judged your thread to be FOS and a non-starter, inappropriate to the forum and closed it, a decision which has since been supported by one of the site owners.

Again, there is NO freedom of speech on Boards so I don't see why you'd equate Boards to Free Speech.
    Raiser wrote:
    40% on the forecourt price of a self-propelled motoring vehicle does NOT equal a motoring issue ??? - WOW, I'm waiting for balloon animals, birthday-bumps and a bouncy castle, or ANYTHING else you might suddenly bring on to somehow distract me from reality :eek: Boards.ie/Free Speech=0 Peasant=2

Of course it is, but you're bringing it up with regards to the Lisbon Treaty, which is a political issue and therefore should be discussed in politics. Pleasantly enough the mod of Politics has said you're not to start any thread that resembles it there, so maybe you should just drop it?

Raiser wrote:

You also cross posted it, which is a no no and in itself a reason to lock the thread. It's also a fact that the Lisbon Treaty II and VRT have nothing to do with eachother, not just their opinion.
    Raiser wrote:

They've already explained it, site owner has approved of the decision so it should realistically be put to bed. Why you're still banging on about a thread that amounted to a bag of bollocks is beyond me but I'd suggest you just leave it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

My dear friend, posting a topic in one forum and failing does not mean you keep going until you get a forum where you actually pass. Its annoying and Peasant is correct in stating that its frowned upon and is enough of a reason to get it removed. Its not his opinion. He aint the jury, and probably wouldnt be considered the judge but yes the executioner sounds about right - Boards.ie Users/Mods (majorit) agree that cross posting is naughty, and the executioner steps in and sorts those who cross posts out.

Bare in mind: This is a private forum. There are guidelines and there are rules. You must agree to adhere to these, or you will be asked to be removed. There is no free speach on this board.

*DING!* Wrong. You forgot one crucial thing - what Peasant did was in accordance with a general site policy and he acted on this. It was not his opinion. He did not make up the rule. Its as obvious to day light you broke a site rule, and he stepped in as he should have.

Well a few thousand posters a day dont seem to mind being able to discuss the large majority of things, once it doesnt cross any lines. Those lines are fair rules / guidelines which makes discussing things on Boards easier and avoid legal eagles waiting to pounce on Boards cause some idiot decided to say something stupid and wrong about someone and BANG Boards are held responsible while the accused carrys on.

He did. Your ignoring what he said. Everyone else can see it, you cant.

Why you're still banging on about a thread that amounted to a bag of bollocks is beyond me but I'd suggest you just leave it.
    ROFL :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Boards.ie/Free Speech=0 Peasant=3

Surely you're around long enough to know that persistance is futile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Hey All,

In the interests of free speech
    Article 40.6.1 gives several protections to whatever you choose to put on your own website, though with some limitations.

To somewhat paraphrase the saying often attributed to Voltaire, I think what you have to say demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of different jurisdictions and a totally brain-dead approach to politics, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it (but not necessarily here).

You however think this website should publish what you think it should publish. That is to say you are opposed to this website having free speech. I find that objectionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

stevec wrote: »
    Surely you're around long enough to know that persistance is futile.

Genuine laugh !!!!!!!

- Maybe so my friend.....

/ But I promise my original sentiment WAS sincere and I am a bit saddened by the Militia response.

& Original point remains valid - Sorry if that point is at variance with the opinion of the fcuking few.

+ Boards.ie has become more skillfully, exactingly, precisely, beautifully, wonderously moderated than it was when it was a wonderful free-flowing discourse of banter that made its own path without the aid of militant guardians with more keyboard time than free time - and that is a pity.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Raiser, you did see DeVore's post above which says the lock seems ok?

It's never been "free flowing". I'd say it's more leniently moderated than ever, actually.

But go you, fight tha powah and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There is no free speech on the internet. Somebody pays for those bits to be transmitted. :D

OP: Do you know the Five Lamps?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Boards.ie/Free Speech=0 Peasant=3

You're making the mistake of putting Boards.ie and Peasant on opposite sides.
    The lock seems fine.

DeV.

Clearly boards A.K.A. DeV is clearly in agreement with Peasant so they should be on the same side. :D

There is no free speech on Boards.ie. Never has been never will be. Beginner's mistake.

Game over. Insert coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'd say it's more leniently moderated than ever, actually.

The motors category has been leniently moderated since back when it was not moderated at all. Although I prefer to describe the moderating style as relaxed, mature and all-welcoming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The lock seems fine.

DeV.

this is code for quit whinging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How about a motors sub-forum for those that don't like their VRT, speed checks and other drivers, but do like themselves, their driving and their own use of fog lamps? tCN for motorheads.

Advertisement