Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God Mod

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Devore wrote:
    The lock seems fine.

DeV.
    Tigger wrote: »
    this is code for quit whinging
    Wikipedia wrote:
    A sycophant (from the Greek συκοφάντης sykophántēs) is a servile person who, acting in his or her own self interest, attempts to win favor by flattering one or more influential persons, with an undertone that these actions are executed at the cost of his or her own personal pride, principles, and peer respect. Such a manner is called obsequiousness.

Would. you. please. go. back. to. class.

Boards.ie minus input from Joe Public = VBulletin http://www.vbulletin.com/ - VBulletin exists GLOBALLY as long as you buy the €19.99 license [approx] - I don't care what lucker was a second cousin of the buddy that happened to sit next to the sweetheart that kicked off a Quake forum in Gaillaimh in 1932- The cold fact is geniuses - that if they hadn't luckily happened to mooch on a FPS then the next man would have idly done so about 20 minutes later - FACT - I wouldn't have thrown the chancers a Tin Daddy Long Legs. Also and by the way, if you are looking for creativity - Quake was designed by ID Software http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Software

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Raiser wrote: »
    Boards.ie has become more skillfully, exactingly, precisely, beautifully, wonderously moderated than it was when it was a wonderful free-flowing discourse of banter that made its own path without the aid of militant guardians with more keyboard time than free time - and that is a pity.
    Nah. Back in the old days DeVore read every single post (yes, really) and people were sometimes banned just for being too ****ing irritating for words.
    javaboy wrote: »
    There is no free speech on Boards.ie. Never has been never will be. Beginner's mistake.
    There is free speech on boards.ie - boards.ie's free speech. When a moderator locks a thread that's speech; thread-locks are protected by the constitution.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Clearly the OP hasnt a clue and just wont listen.

Lets just leave him be. We cant do no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Would. you. please. go. back. to. class.

Boards.ie minus input from Joe Public = VBulletin http://www.vbulletin.com/ - VBulletin exists GLOBALLY as long as you buy the €19.99 license [approx] - I don't care what lucker was a second cousin of the buddy that happened to sit next to the sweetheart that kicked off a Quake forum in Gaillaimh in 1932- The cold fact is geniuses - if they hadn't posted on a FPS then next man would have about 20 minutes later - FACT - By the way, if you are looking for creativity - Quake was designed by ID Software http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Software

i'm not a whetever that long word is and the second bit confuses me.
    i don't like vrt if thats any help to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Sully wrote: »
    Clearly the OP hasnt a clue and just wont listen.

Lets just leave him be. We cant do no more.
    Indeed.

He is a ginger though, and you know what they're like :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

VBulletin exists GLOBALLY as long as you buy the €19.99 license [approx]
    So go set up your own site ... www.hellraiser.ie seems to be going a-begging ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Talliesin wrote: »
    There is free speech on boards.ie - boards.ie's free speech. When a moderator locks a thread that's speech; thread-locks are protected by the constitution.

I like this interpretation. It should be used to counter future whingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Rb wrote: »
    Indeed.

He is a ginger though, and you know what they're like :pac:
    Hey! That's a form of racism you know!

OP, you're wrong. It's simple as that. The only person on Earth and beyond who thinks you are right, is you. Why do you still believe you're right? Be a man about it and admit your wrong, and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

but to have one man shoot a topic down on a whim? - Thats just too reactionary and unecessarily heavy handed for me :(
    Actually I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Could we have a button next to the thank button that posts a message saying:
    1There is no free speech on this private forum
    2This is Feedback not a pm
    etc etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

To be honest, the threads you posted looked like you were trying to make lego and sticklebricks into something meaningful.

There is no relation between the two issues you wanted to discuss. I fail to see why you still think this may be an issue?

Talliesin wrote: »
    To somewhat paraphrase the saying often attributed to Voltaire, I think what you have to say demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of different jurisdictions and a totally brain-dead approach to politics, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it (but not necessarily here).

You however think this website should publish what you think it should publish. That is to say you are opposed to this website having free speech. I find that objectionable.

I see what you did there. Nice.
    esel wrote: »
    OP: Do you know the Five Lamps?

The answer, Raiser, is yes. The retort to that is then "Well go hang your bollocks on it". Please respect esel's right to free speech jokes.
    Dragan wrote: »
    sticklebricks

*reminisces......*

OP: Everyone knows the plural of genius is Genii, LDO. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

OP: Everyone knows the plural of genius is Genii, LDO. :p

The plural of "Genius" is "Geniuses" when it's referring to a person and "Genii" when it's referring to a spirit or character. (Source: DICTIONARY.COM)

When you're correcting someone, at least try to be correct :p

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This wasnt a single person making a decision per se because you are free to bring it here, which you have, to have it considered, which I did.

There is no free speech here for a reason. Let me explain:

If we allow what YOU term "free speech", (which equates to there being no moderation as far as I can see) in this case the forum(s) very quickly would clog up with spam, shills, wombats and crap posts about every topic close to someones heart (like VRT and Lisbon for the OP apparently).

The result is that genuine comment and discussion is dilluted until it dips below a critical mass, (this is the same critical mass that is required to get a forum off the ground, I cant tell you what that is precisely but I've seen it happen so many times I have come to depend on it, incidentally this is why we require a show of support for the use of a new forum).

Now, once the signal-noise ratio dips below this critical mass, the usefulness of the platform nose-dives because no one would bother reading it. As a result the general public have lost a platform for genuine "free speech" and so we are lessened as a society in those terms.

Hence, what you claim as "free speech" is actually a sizeable step towards a reduction in genuine speech.

DeV.

Bard wrote: »
    The plural of "Genius" is "Geniuses" when it's referring to a person and "Genii" when it's referring to a spirit or character. (Source: DICTIONARY.COM)

When you're correcting someone, at least try to be correct :p

I thought my blatant sarcasm would be obvious to everyone..........the LDO....the smiley face........n'est pas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I thought my blatant sarcasm would be obvious to everyone..........the LDO....the smiley face........n'est pas?

it was obvious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

javaboy wrote: »
    I like this interpretation. It should be used to counter future whingers.
    I just try to find different ways of phrasing that exact same concept each time.

People really aren't very good at understanding what "Free Speech" means. It'd be lovely to get into say Classical vs Jeffersonian models of Free Speech, so similar stuff like that but they never manage to deal with Free Speech 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

It would have been more obvious to me if I'd realised what LDO meant and thought "hey that smiley indicates sarcasm and not in fact a smart-arsed 'I'm right, you're wrong' style retort"

... oh, and if I wasn't horribly hung over and in a pedantic mood, that would have helped too...

Ah well, no harm done :D

Advertisement