Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert to Quicktime advice. (pro tools user)

• 30-06-2008 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I run a small studio in Dublin and recently I've been doing more and more work to picture. Both music and post. I'm really enjoying it too btw.
    I got a job the other day, firstly on DVD and then as an AVI, neither of which I could pull into my computer. Pro Tools lets me pull Quicktime movies (.mov) into it and I can sync my audio to picture and mix etc. Anyway between the communications grief getting the thing converted we lost two days.

So my question is, is there a cheap or free! program out there that will let me convert say a DVD or other file type to a suitable format (Quicktime) to make things a little easier.

Thanks,
    D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

studiorat wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I run a small studio in Dublin and recently I've been doing more and more work to picture. Both music and post. I'm really enjoying it too btw.
    I got a job the other day, firstly on DVD and then as an AVI, neither of which I could pull into my computer. Pro Tools lets me pull Quicktime movies (.mov) into it and I can sync my audio to picture and mix etc. Anyway between the communications grief getting the thing converted we lost two days.

So my question is, is there a cheap or free! program out there that will let me convert say a DVD or other file type to a suitable format (Quicktime) to make things a little easier.

Thanks,
    D.

i hate dvd. it is the hardest thing to get good, raw video or audio out of. are you using avid with pro tools or just pro tools? search the net for power producer, can turn VOB files into a few differnt files, not sure if it lets you output a quicktime, its a bit of a rigmarole but it works well. alternatively, you could get a facilities house to just ingest the dvd to something you can use (beta, mini-dv?) i have found this the only solution when the dvd has a lot of chapters. avi files and avid (maybe i shouldnt be answering this because i dont use pro tools but i use avid and they're pretty much interoperable) tend to have problems with eachother from the get go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

mpegstreamclip available for both mac and pc and free. Will convert a vob and most certainly exports to quicktime..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Cheers.
    I'm using Pro Tools HD on it's own. So VOB is the video component of the DVD? When I open the Video folder I'm faced with a few files. Which is the video I'll be looking for? The biggest I suppose?

What happens to the audio? Will I need to re-sync any audio there already?

I usually just specify a QT movie as small as possible. I just need to sync the spot f/x music additional dialogue etc.
    It's just now and again these guys forget or don't have time.

Not to mention forgetting that 4.7 gig is still pretty big in my world! :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Flatknuckles

decob wrote: »
    mpegstreamclip available for both mac and pc and free. Will convert a vob and most certainly exports to quicktime..

That's the one. Also, akaik, Protools only accepts .mov on the Mac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 waterdrop

Hi folks,

Thanks,
    D.

DVD Shrink will rip your dvd files to the hard drive
    Handbrake will convert them into what you wish

Hope it helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Cheers.
    I'm using Pro Tools HD on it's own. So VOB is the video component of the DVD? When I open the Video folder I'm faced with a few files. Which is the video I'll be looking for? The biggest I suppose?

What happens to the audio? Will I need to re-sync any audio there already?

The vob file contains both the video and audio. So once you've ripped it from the dvd there is no resyncing to do. What i do on a mac for stuff like this is, i use mac the ripper to rip the dvd to the hard disk. Put in disk and open mac the ripper - once it has regonised the dvd i choose mode -> title only extraction then another drop down becomes available showing me the different titles or videos on the disk. the running lenght of each titles is also displayed so this should help identifing the piece of video you are looking for if there are a number of videos on the disk. Anyway once selected hit go and let it rip.

Once ripped it will create a folder on your desktop named after the dvd and title you selected. Inside that there is a video_ts folder and then inside that youre vob. Now if your video was quite bit - >30mins, on dvd it may have appeared as a number of vobs broken into 1gig vob files. But on your desktop it should appear as one large vob. Drag this vob into mpegstreamclip and export it as a quicktime.

As for preferred settings well thats something you'll have to experiment with. As i use this method for getting footage for video edits, i tend to leave the audio as uncompressed and use use the photojpeg compression at 75 or 100%. This then lets me bring the video into the likes of after effects or fcp or avid with the least amount of hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 janusz0001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

I'd also HIGHLY recommend MPEGstreamclip Will do exactly what you are looking for. Quicker and better than Handbrake or DVDshrink.

Advertisement