Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Language

Options
  • 30-06-2008 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

I have been asked to make a website (for a second time). Its a big website (hundreds or thousands of pages) and the layout will be the same for all. Could this be made a database. I only have knowledge of HTML and CSS. No scripting or anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Start by googling "Content Management System"....

if you come back with desired hosting preference or language perference you'll get suggestions here too (linux / windows etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

as was said .. if you've no scripting knowledge ... investigate content Management Systems...

As you've no knowledge of scripting it wouldn't really matter which you go with ...

Moveable Type (nice ... and publishes static pages)
    Wordpress (probably wouldn't scale that nicely even with cache plugins turned on)
    Drupal (playing with this at the moment and its nice)
    CMSMadeSimple (Very nice .. but not sure how it'd scale to 1000's of pages ... great templating system)
    Joomla ... (Very popular CMS that I don't particularily like :D ... lots of plugins / templates / communities based around it)

Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stamen

Thanks guys. Which would you recommend to get it done as quick as possible?

I'd say cmsmadesimple ... but I don't know if it'll scale well. One of the sites I have has 400ish pages .. and it handles that no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stamen

Thanks for the prompt reply.

• Advertisement

no problem ... others would say drupal .. others yet again would say joomla ...

Really you'll have to play with them a bit and see how you get on.
    Its not a case that you'll just be able to copy and paste ... there'll be a bit of figuring out to do ... as it sounds mostly like static content ? should should be ok with cmsmadesimple.

Advertisement