Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forwarding a .ie to a com

Options
  • 30-06-2008 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi,
    Hope this is the right place to put the question up..
    I have done a site with godaddy.com as it was easy to do own site etc. They dont do the .ie domain so registered this with a irish hosting company.
    I have got the .com indexed on 6 sites within 1 week which is great but to get more irish visitors i bought .ie . i forwarded the .ie to the .com

my question is;
    will i appear on google.ie automatically if people search for my company services or because its a acutal forwarding nothing will appear unless they enter the company name?

hope all makes sense, thanks alot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Not unless search engine submission is within your domain package which I doubt.

Websites have to be submitted to the search engines, there's loads of free ones that submit your website to multiple search engines but they usually end up with tons of spam.

You use to be able to just submit a website to Google, now they require you to prove you own the site.

Now you have to open an account, upload a dummy google page and verify its your website. For greater search results add a sitemap, relevant meta key words and descriptions.

http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/

This is just for Google, a lot of the other search engines allow you to add a site with just your email address as verification. Jayde for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

stevire wrote: »
    Not unless search engine submission is within your domain package which I doubt.
    It might be found automatically by a reverse DNS lookup by the search engine spider.

I bought hosting and domain recently but did not list the url anywhere. I found it in the Google index a few days later!
    The hosting was shared hosting so when Google went to one web site on the same machine and did a reverse DNS lookup, it would have found all the web sites at the same IP address!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rushisthebest

Thanks for teh feedback guys. I have the .com hosted with godaddy in the U.S and the .ie with register365 so am i right in thinking this will be a problem? thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you have a question specific for your providers, please contact their support teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rushisthebest

ok no problem thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

daymobrew wrote: »
    It might be found automatically by a reverse DNS lookup by the search engine spider.

I bought hosting and domain recently but did not list the url anywhere. I found it in the Google index a few days later!
    The hosting was shared hosting so when Google went to one web site on the same machine and did a reverse DNS lookup, it would have found all the web sites at the same IP address!

Will the reverse DNS lookup find all the urls that share name servers?
    Thanks for teh feedback guys. I have the .com hosted with godaddy in the U.S and the .ie with register365 so am i right in thinking this will be a problem? thanks again

It shouldn't matter who your providers are, most providers have an account system where you can change the DNS servers to that of your hosting account. Then go to the hosting account and login, navigate to "Add-on" domains in CPanel or wherever. And add your domain name. Take a day to get up and fully registered.

Your hosting company will help you out no probs even if you have a domain name with someone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

stevire wrote: »
    Will the reverse DNS lookup find all the urls that share name servers?
    Reverse dns is just the PTR records. In most cases there should only be one per IP address.

There are a few tools that will attempt to show all domains / hostnames associated with an IP

Advertisement