Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying ants in Bray

Options
  • 30-06-2008 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi all,

this is our second year in Bray and, almost like clockwork, a few spots in our house have been invaded by flying ants. Last year they mostly swarmed on the ground in a few particular places but this year they are back, and flying.

Does anyone have any good tips to get rid of these feckers?

They are fairly harmless but we'd be happier knowing they were on their way out. We've tried the usually "Ant Killer" concoctions from Woodies but they aren't much good really.

Thanks for any ideas.

Cheers,
    -mem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The common garden (flying) ant is black, about 3-4 mm long and usually lives in outdoor or underfloor nests. Swarms of short-lived flying ants emerge to mate in August. Although garden ants are a nuisance, they are not significant disease carriers. Pharaoh Ants are reddish in colour and about 2 mm long. They are fairly common in flats and hotels and spread disease from drains to food. They nest within the building structure and may well be hard to get at. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Remedy:
    Find the nest entrance and pour boiling water over the nest site. Then apply an insecticide powder. An insecticide lacquer can be applied around door thresholds or wall/floor junctions where ants run. Ant Bait work so that the ant takes the bait back to the nest, killing the whole colony after a few days; lay in along where ants run
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Thanks to: http://www.pestatac.com/middlebugs.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

We haven't gotten them yet this year which is great! I did however find an ant nest in between the paving slabs a few weeks ago under the dogs blanket. could see all the ants rushing around to carry the eggs away...fast little buggers! My Dad ended up spraying them with petrol from the lawn mower and I can't say i've seen them back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Moving thread to home and garden, seems more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

We had ants in the house last year( Teenage kids leaving yoghurt in bedrooms) Found a solution here as I recall. Made up a spray of water and lavender and sprayed where they were coming in, worked a treat. I don't like killing them when they are doing no harm and can be gotten rid of easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

thanks newbie,
    we are down in waterford and had no idea why we had loads of flying ants last year for few days, covered parts of the house, came in the chimney and around the window sills which arent very draft proof. came up with a novel solution.,
    fly and wasp spray, i sprayed it all around the fire surround, the window sill and window, the telly, anywhere they were tending to come in and land, the spray residue got on there wings and legs and was enough to kill them off and just had to do a really good hoover then to pick them up every few hours,

better than living with the pests for a few days and giving them the opportunity to make themselves comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭dreamingoak

bray is totally infested with these feckers in the summer. i've never seen them anywhere else.

Advertisement