Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone buying a new car this month?

Options
  • 01-07-2008 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Just curious to see how many have decided this month is a good time to buy a car.

Of more interest to me is what car it is, and in particular the engine.

So...what are ye all getting?

I'm looking forward to a 520d:)(not for me but the parents are splashing out on one), and possibly(to my horror) an Auris/Corolla D-4D too(perish the thought:eek:).

Are the dealers expecting sales to go up this month does anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

E92 wrote: »
    and possibly(to my horror) an Auris/Corolla D-4D too(perish the thought:eek:).
    Is that the 1.4 D4-D? If so, wait for the Civic 2.2 diesel hatch. Same mpg/CO2/VRT/tax but way more powerful.

Dealers are afraid July 1st will become Jan 1st 2009, and with good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JHMEG wrote: »
    Is that the 1.4 D4-D? If so, wait for the Civic 2.2 diesel hatch. Same mpg/CO2/VRT/tax but way more powerful.

Indeed. Culture shock ahead though for the herds. People won't believe it. How can a huge 2.2l engine be better / cheaper :eek: than a modest 1.4l?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed. Culture shock ahead though for the herds. People won't believe it. How can a huge 2.2l engine be better / cheaper :eek: than a modest 1.4l?

When it comes to their wallets, people adapt very quickly! Believe me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

both my sister and father are buying 1.6 Diesel Kia Cee'ds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

The new boxer diesel Subaru Legacy.:)

Arriving later this week or early next hopefully...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭nickhx

A new Audi A4 2.0 TDI delivered later today courtesy of AudiChris ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

nickhx wrote: »
    A new Audi A4 2.0 TDI delivered later today courtesy of AudiChris ;)

is that coming from the UK? I didn't happen to see it on a trailer yesterday going south on the N7/M7 ?

Really nice car btw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Mazda3 saloon, 1.6 diesel. just waiting on the call from the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭MarkoF

New Mini Cooper this afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'm delivering 6 cars this week:

1 x A4 2.0TDi 143BHP (Nick's)
    1 x A5 1.8T Manual
    4 x A4 2.0TDi 120BHP

That's how the model breakdown is going so far anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

This week I have the following arriving with me, and have to try and get as many delivered as possible.

159 JTDM 16V Lusso
    IS220d Executive
    A4 2.0Tdi SE
    320i ES Edition Model
    318i ES Touring
    Passat 1.9Tdi Sportline 4dr
    320d SE Edition Auto
    Vectra 1.9Cdti Club H/B 5dr
    Mondeo 1.8TD LX 4dr Saloon
    6 1.8 Se Executive H/B
    IS220d Base
    A4 1.8 T FSI Sport 120 Bhp
    A4 1.8T 120ps 4dr
    Galaxy 1.8Tdci 125ps 5sp
    Rav4 2.2d Luna
    9-3 1.9Tid 120ps Linear
    Passat 2.0Tdi Highline DSG
    Astravan 1.7Cdti Club
    Astra 1.7Cdti Club 5dr
    Astra 1.7Cdti Club 5dr
    Astra 1.7Cdti Club 5dr
    Astra 1.7Cdti Club 5dr
    Astra Sporthatch Van 1.3Cdti
    Astra Sporthatch Van 1.3Cdti
    E200k Avantgarde Auto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

JHMEG wrote: »

Dealers are afraid July 1st will become Jan 1st 2009, and with good reason.

What my parents think is a good car and what I think is a good car are quite different things;)! Perhaps they would have at least considered one had Honda brought it in.

The Civic is light years ahead in terms of quality and styling, but unfortunately I haven't gone for a spin in one. I'd imagine they are similar to drive but obviously the superior power of the Honda has to count for something. I'd buy a new Civic over a lot of cars in the category though, though I'd have to drive them all to be sure.

My parents have had Fords and Opels in the past, but will always say that their Toyotas are the best, so I'm gonna have fun trying to convince them to think outside the box(though they always said they'd buy a new 5 series if they weren't so dear, and they did because they are now €8k cheaper from today:))!

I hate the idea of buying bottom of the range models but I don't see how the 523i/525d justify being €12/€14k more respectively than the 520d. A 6 pot 5 series only make sense when going for the 530/535 models now at this stage. On the other hand a 325i is cheaper today than a 320d was yesterday, so for the 3 series it just has to be a 325i or a 325d if you prefer filling up at the black pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

R.O.R wrote: »
    This week I have the following arriving with me, and have to try and get as many delivered as possible.
    E200k Avantgarde Auto

E200K auto post July, am I seeing things....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Registered 27th June to take advantage of very reasonable pricing (well, for a Merc) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

sorry dont really visit forum too often
    A new Audi A4 2.0 TDI delivered later today courtesy of AudiChris

can i assume that audichris is bringing in audis from uk/abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I'm importing a 07 1.8 TDCI S-Max for my better half. I have the cash sitting in the bank and am just watching the Autotrader now every day for the right one to come up. As soon as it does, I'll be on the next plane. I had hoped to have it got before now and be VRTing it this morning, but just didn't work out with me having a few things on the last few weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

etcetc wrote: »

No he works in an Audi dealership afaik.

Yep. I'm an Audi Salesperson in ROI. Dealership not disclosed/discussed so that I can say whatever I want without feeling the need to self-censor.

I speak only for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭nickhx

etcetc wrote: »

Nope, he is an authorised Audi dealer based in Ireland. PM him if you want more details...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

well as we said from the start there are people with the cash not to care about these reductions:pac:

its funny I have yet to meet anyone going about buying a prius post July!! which was the point of the new system.:p

Its all people who now think a Beemer or Audi is affordable for them and cant wait to get one!!

The economic changing circumstances may chnage that soon too though!!

• Advertisement

Riskymove wrote: »
    its funny I have yet to meet anyone going about buying a prius post July!! which was the point of the new system.:p

I've seen review after review that puts a good diesel engine ahead of hybrid, so I'm not too upset about the lack of Prius sales.

As long as you've got a DPF, your diesel is the best of both worlds.

E92 wrote: »
    Are the dealers expecting sales to go up this month does anyone know?

Sales will go up this month as all the orders taken to date are delivered, but they'll settle back to their depressed state - the overall figures for this year will be significantly down.

AudiChris wrote: »
    I've seen review after review that puts a good diesel engine ahead of hybrid, so I'm not too upset about the lack of Prius sales.

As long as you've got a DPF, your diesel is the best of both worlds.

I am talking from the point of view that the new system was put together in order to encourage purchase of hybrids like Prius but has not resulted in that (or so it seems):)

It will result in more large diesels on the road

I am not talking about hybrid vs diesel performance or otherwise

I am talking from the point of view that the new system was put together in order to encourage purchase of hybrids like Prius but has not resulted in that (or so it seems):)

I'm not sure it this change has achieved ANY of it's targets:
    Hybrids, revenue neutrality, better deal for consumers etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

no its not - its suposed to encourage us to buy lower C)2 emissions cars - Diesels are just that.

if it was designed to make us drive Prius's it would have not touched the VRT for them instead of putting it up.

Maybe Gormley ain't such a thick and knows the Prius is actually not environmentally friendly ? (I doubt it)

RobAMerc wrote: »
    no its not - its suposed to encourage us to buy lower C)2 emissions cars - Diesels are just that.

if it was designed to make us drive Prius's it would have not touched the VRT for them instead of putting it up.

Maybe Gormley ain't such a thick and knows the Prius is actually not environmentally friendly ? (I doubt it)

well seeing as he is driving around in one its unlikely.

are you saying VRT on a prius went up? surely not!

Diesels (generally) are lower than petrol emission wise but a Prius or very small engined car are better than the diesel (generally)

Prius = A rated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

well seeing as he is driving around in one its unlikely.

are you saying VRT on a prius went up? surely not!

Diesels (generally) are lower than petrol emission wise but a Prius or very small engined car are better than the diesel (generally)

Prius = A rated

Yes it went up.

Prius = a filthy piece of carp that by the time its delivered to the first owner has already caused more pollution than a v8 will in its whole life - its only ill informed holier than thou types who'd dream of buying one.
    Hence John Gormley probably does drive one - make sense !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Diesels outperform (non hybrid) petrols on CO2 99.9% of the time. The only car I can think of that is worse on CO2 for a diesel than a petrol is a BMW 330d Auto, which manages to pollute 2 g/km more than the 330i Auto.

The only reason petrol superminis are still a lot cheaper than diesel is because the difference between 14 and 16% VRT is hundreds at the very most at this end of the scale, but by and large anything Yaris sized is in 14% VRT for diesel and 16% VRT for petrol.

The Prius came down by over €3,000 today, though VRT went up from 12.5% to 14%. However there is now a €2,500 rebate here instead. The same thing happened for the Honda Civic hybrid, though that went up from 11.25% to 14% VRT.

So to answer the question, small hybrids do indeed have to pay less VRT than yesterday, and the manufacturers were able to reduce the pre VRT price as well, presumably because the diesels have gone down by so much and these can get similar or sometimes even better fuel economy at a much lower price than a hybrid. There are plenty of diesels that can get you €100 road tax, like the Peugeot 308 1.6 HDI 90 or the 118d.

It's about time Honda started selling a Civic diesel here. It is exactly the sort of car that should be sold here now that we no longer do things by engine size. Actually a lot of manufacturers don't sell us their cheapest diesels, like the Volvo S60 2.4D(we only get the D5) or the Polo TDI 70(we only get the 80 bhp version). We could do with some more powerful diesels as well, like why can't we have all those 2.0 diesel family hatchbacks that sell so well elsewhere in Europe?

Speaking of hybrid batteries, did anyone see the current series of Top Gear? They said that the nickel is mined in Canada, then shipped across the Atlantic over to Europe, where it is refined, then onto China where they do something else with it, and then finally it gets to Japan. So much for being environmentally friendly:rolleyes:!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭EternalSunshine

can't throw all hybrids together....

the tests between the prius and the diesel have focused on normal motorway driving etc. Even the top gear test was disingenious as dont forget that in stop start traffic the prius can achive 99mpg.

To truly compare a hybrid to a diesel, in urban and motoring driving ... they should be comparing the civic hybrid which does things different than the prius hybrids.( not all hybrids are the same)

for example, the civic can cruise at a speed ( forget,, somethign between 40-60 mph ) for a period of time with a return of 99mpg. the prius cannot run on electric only after gaining sufficient speed.

so.........i would not pay much attention to some 'reviews' and best to do your own research.

....and for diesel lovers.....watch out for the diesel golf hybrid out in late 2009

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

AudiChris wrote: »
    I'm delivering 6 cars this week:

1 x A4 2.0TDi 143BHP (Nick's)
    1 x A5 1.8T Manual
    4 x A4 2.0TDi 120BHP

That's how the model breakdown is going so far anyway...

are there any external/internal differences between the 120 and 143 chris?

How are people ordering them without option pricing??

Advertisement