Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone buying a new car this month?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

....and for diesel lovers.....watch out for the diesel golf hybrid out in late 2009
    ..which isn't being built because it is too expensive(the big drawback of hybrids - cost). A 1.4 TSI hybrid is being built though instead, but diesel hybrids are only really viable for big 4X4s and executive saloons.

Incidentally this is another advantage of petrol engines. Even direct injection with a turbo/supercharger in a petrol is still cheaper than diesel to build, as well as offering all the torque at low revs like a diesel and gets close for CO2 and fuel consumption for good measure.

Diesel is expensive, and hybrids are even dearer still, so that is why even in this era of ultra high oil prices diesel hybrids will be a very rare thing. Petrol hybrids will do better once Europe toughens up the emissions laws for diesels which will make diesel even dearer again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

E92 wrote: »
    ..which isn't being built because it is too expensive(the big drawback of hybrids - cost). A 1.4 TSI hybrid is being built though instead, but diesel hybrids are only really viable for big 4X4s and executive saloons.

Incidentally this is another advantage of petrol engines. Even direct injection with a turbo/supercharger in a petrol is still cheaper than diesel to build, as well as offering all the torque at low revs like a diesel and gets close for CO2 and fuel consumption for good measure.

Diesel is expensive, and hybrids are even dearer still, so that is why even in this era of ultra high oil prices diesel hybrids will be a very rare thing. Petrol hybrids will do better once Europe toughens up the emissions laws for diesels which will make diesel even dearer again.

Peugeot are planning a diesel hybrid in 2009/2010 as far as I know. Technology has been in development for a few years already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

copacetic wrote: »
    are there any external/internal differences between the 120 and 143 chris?

How are people ordering them without option pricing??

Nope, both are the same except for the engine.

What I'm doing at the moment is signing the order form based on new retail prices and old optional extras with a note on the order form that once pricing is released for the extras, I'll refund the difference in a full and transparent manner.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

AudiChris wrote: »
    Nope, both are the same except for the engine.

What I'm doing at the moment is signing the order form based on new retail prices and old optional extras with a note on the order form that once pricing is released for the extras, I'll refund the difference in a full and transparent manner.

can't say fairer than that I guess, must be frustrating a lot of people though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭EternalSunshine

E92 wrote: »

Not so.

http://www.carcentral.com.au/200806271721/hybrid/electric/vw-enters-plug-in-hybrid-race-with-new-twin-drive-golf.html

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

errrm that link says pretty much exactly what E92 said:

Unfortunately, the TDI Hybrid is also only a concept car. At one point it was being considered for production, but VW has decided to hold off on moving forward with the design for the present

Advertisement