Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sparrows Nesting In The Eaves

Options
  • 01-07-2008 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭

I moved into a house last October with five eaves. Three of them had multiple sparrow nests (3/5 per eave). The other two eaves on the newer section of the house showed (and still show) no signs of nesting.

Because of the mess, I destroyed all the nests in December when I was sure they were empty. Since the beginning of May the sparrows have been attempting to re-build their nests. I have been destroying their work once or twice a day since then. The amount of attempted nest-building has now diminished but they just won't give up completely!

My question is .... will they try again next year ...... and what about the following year ?

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

There is a good chance they will try to come back.
    As for stopping them, I know some have had good success with putting up a sparrow nesting box beside where they've been trying to nest, you could try a raptor silhouette but they may get used to it over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Pye

Destroying nests won't help. If you really can't stand them seal up all the entrances with wire mesh and seal it up good. They can only build a nest once they're in so the key is to stop them getting in and make it an undesirable nesting spot. Just make sure there are no sparrows in residence when you attempt this and certainly no eggs!

It might also be a good idea to put up some nesting boxes as these birds will need an alternative nesting site. House sparrow numbers have been on the decline in many European cities and it looks like your house has been their home also for a long time before you came along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭eirman

Just to clarify - the eaves are on the outside of the house, at the top of "A" shapes at the highest points around the edge of the house. I use a very long stick to undo their work. They are not getting into the attic.

I'd have no problem putting up a few nest boxes away from the house as I have a big garden. Any links relating to nest boxes ?

Sparrows tend to nest very to each other so their nest boxes have a few compartments together, here's a link to the birdwatch Ireland shop sparrowbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sparrows nest in holes and usually under the ridge tiles on houses. If the nests are on the eaves (and leading to a mess) then are you sure it's not Swallows or House Martins? (Pending your reply - be careful when destroying nests as there can be a hefty fine in some cases)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

You are in breach of the wildlife act 1976 & 2000. I suggest you stop destroying nests. House sparrows are in decline. A powerhose will clean the mess up after the breeding season and is alot less work than destroying the nests. Why can't people live with or tolerate wildlife?:rolleyes:

They have the swallow type twin tails and are black and white - I'll post a picture of the nest sites (and possibly the birds) tomorrow.

eirman wrote: »
    They have the swallow type twin tails and are black and white - I'll post a picture of the nest sites (and possibly the birds) tomorrow.

They are not house sparrows, they're house martins and are from the same family as swallows.

We have some nesting here and they don't cause that much mess unless your door is under the nest.
    I find if you throw an old mat on the ground under the nest it leaves cleaning up fairly easy.
    House martin numbers have dropped by nearly 40% since the 70's so they need all the help they can get.

If the droppings a really causing you a lot of problems you could put a thin plank straight across about 1-2 feet below the top of the eave and it will catch all the mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Unfortunately this seems all to common today :(
    Its not like 6 weeks is a long time to observe the fascinating behaviour and work ethic of these birds.
    I have had numerous arguments with people about exactly this kind of behaviour
    Is it just that people have a profound disconnect with the natural environment
    or something else?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    or something else?

I think that may be part of it but I find in general a lot of people just don't care unless it effects them in some way also now more than before I've noticed a lot of people don't want them on their house as they feel they may in someway spoil or take away from their house, I really can't understand this as if anything I feel the really add to a house.

As for that other thread it really is hard to have patience isn't it, not just on boards but in general life, even with friends and family I find myself puzzled as to how other people can think so differently and put themselves above all else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

CJhaughey wrote: »
    or something else?

It seems a lot of people are incredibly selfish these days and don't care for their environment. Wouldn't want any bird droppings lowering the value of their houses maybe. :rolleyes:

I just don't get it. The wonder of nature in your back garden and all you want to do is poke a stick at it and destroy it. Why? Because of a few droppings? Grumpy ol' bastards. I feel privileged if a bird nests in my garden.

I read all the previous comments and some are quite unfair. I consider myself a nature lover. The nests on the house were quite ugly and messy. I have 22 trees and 100 mt of hedges in the garden. Every bird/insect/animal is free to use them. I will always leave gaps unders fences to allow free movement for hedgehogs etc. However, I refuse to allow hedgehogs into the house! The only wildlife welcome in the house are spiders.

I have another half acre, into which I intend to extend the gargen. I'll make sure that the new large pond is accessable to frogs and I will leave a corner in it's present wild state.

I got some good pics which I will put up here in a few days (when I locate the correct USB lead)

I read all the previous comments and some are quite unfair. I consider myself a nature lover. The nests on the house were quite ugly and messy. I have 22 trees and 100 mt of hedges in the garden. Every bird/insect/animal is free to use them. I will always leave gaps unders fences to allow free movement for hedgehogs etc. However, I refuse to allow hedgehogs into the house! The only wildlife welcome in the house are spiders.

I have another half acre, into which I intend to extend the gargen. I'll make sure that the new large pond is accessable to frogs and I will leave a corner in it's present wild state.

I got some good pics which I will put up here in a few days (when I locate the correct USB lead)

House Martins don't nest in trees. They nest on houses! Nobody is asking you to let them into your living space. They nest on my house and i love having them there, i also have swallows in my shed and though it involves some cleaning at the end of the breeding season, it is a small price to pay. What you have done is illegal and is a prosecutable offence under the wildlife act for the simple reason that if everyone took your actions we would have very few House Martins. If you really do love nature then cop on and stop destroying nests.:mad: You also need a licence to photograph birds at a nest but it hardly matters since you smashed it with a stick anyway!:rolleyes:
    When you put up the photos be sure to include your car in the photo with a good view of the number plate:D

Here's a pic from Friday. You can see the outline of five nests. Are they swallows or house martins ?

Where did house martins build their nests before there were houses ?

Here's a pic from Friday. You can see the outline of five nests. Are they swallows or house martins ?

Where did house martins build their nests before there were houses ?

They are definitley house martins, sad that they are still trying to make a nest at this time of year, hope you are proud of yourself,....

The House Martin was originally a cliff and cave nester, and some cliff-nesting colonies still exist, with the nests built below an overhanging rock. It now largely uses human structures such as bridges and houses. Unlike the Swallow, it uses the outside of inhabited buildings, rather than the inside of barns or stables. The nests are built at the junction of a vertical surface and an overhang, such as on house eaves, so that they may be strengthened by attachment to both planes.

Advertisement