Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of cyclist are you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My commute to work was +/- 25miles per day (depending on my route) and then on the weekends I used the bike for training.

Gave it up a few year's ago (about 5yrs) and have just bought a new bike to start training and commuting to work again.

So the wheel has gone full circle and I'm back where I was five yrs ago, but knackered doing it!.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

So saying you are a fred makes you not a fred, much like someone who thinks they are cool is not actually cool for having they thought they were cool in the first place......ok

I don't know where I fit into those choices: Commuter/Poser perhaps? Surely that makes me a Fred, I don't even like cycling, just all the gear :)

Whats a 'Fred'?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭bassman22

long distance commuter cyclist
    utility cyclist
    leisure cyclist
    I plan on being a touring cyclist one day when I get have the right combination of savings, time off, and fellow travellers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Mairt wrote: »
    Whats a 'Fred'?.

I was confused myself earlier, but here you go...I think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_(bicycling)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I'm a long distance commuter at the moment. (15km each way)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I'm a multiple choice cyclist.... Utility/Commuter/Leisure... (can we have multiple choice on this poll?)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'm a utility and leisure cyclist (I said the former in the poll).

I'm slightly supprised by the amount of people commuting 8km + each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Think there should have been an option of "Fair weather cyclist" :)

That would be me ! Fair weather long distance commuter and fair weather leisure wannabe :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I am in one and a half of these

was thinking of buying a new bike but the FRED thing has scared me off - might downgrade the bike in fact :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I was a fred for the few seconds it took me to get from post #2 :o to post #24 :) .

nice one tom.

I'm mainly a commuter but also do around 2 decent leisure spins a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Multi-poll option would be interesting. I went for long distance commuter since I spend most time on the bike commuting but I fancy myself as most of the above (especially Fred:o).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Mainly commuter (Crumlin to Sandyford), but do some cycles up the mountains at the weekends and am hoping to do it more - it's the main form of rehab training I have planned for getting over extensive leg surgery I had 3 weeks ago (with the second leg to be done in August).

I did a 120km route as part of the Wicklow 200 after hearing about it 2 days beforehand so wasn't exactly prepared but struggled through it and that really got me interested in doing more long distance cycles.

Lads, whats a 'Fred'?. (please)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

stuf wrote: »
    I'm sure there are loads of self hating taxi drivers who lurk here secretly wanting to be cyclists but not allowing themselves to believe that society will accept them as cyclists. It's all that internalised cyclophobia that makes them lash out on the roads.

So there reaction formation for cyclists is to try and kill us!!! Ek! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Lads, whats a 'Fred'?. (please)

See further up this thread -theres a link up there

See further up this thread -theres a link up there

I clicked the link, it doesn't tell me anything (try it). But thanks all the same.

I clicked the link, it doesn't tell me anything (try it). But thanks all the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_%28bicycling%29
    "Fred" is a derisive term used by cyclists to describe other cyclists, usually male, that appear amateurish and oblivious to cycling culture.

The exact qualities that define one as a "Fred" vary widely among regions and cyclists, but recently, particularly in the US, a Fred is somebody with higher quality and more expensive gear than his or her talent would warrant. For example...

Link works just fine for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

i dont see really poor mtbr as an option :-p ? and mtb is now broken into 3 sections i believe!!

1. XC Mtb (Cross Country)
    2. Downhill Mtb
    3. Freeride Mtb

Drapper wrote: »
    i dont see really poor mtbr as an option :-p ? and mtb is now broken into 3 sections i believe!!

1. XC Mtb (Cross Country)
    2. Downhill Mtb
    3. Freeride Mtb

And I thought it could be contained nicely in a 'Not a Roadie' option, or maybe 'messer'... who'd have thought them mucky boys would break it into sections :D

• Advertisement

And I thought it could be contained nicely in a 'Not a Roadie' option, or maybe 'messer'... who'd have thought them mucky boys would break it into sections :D

call these lads mucky? an image of beauty "fat tires all the way!!" far more sexy than roadie-ing! lycra everywhere!

_mg_8601.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I think there should be a MTB outing for the boards.ie roadies. Yee would soon discover that cycling can actually be far more interesting !

I dunno, all this heathen MTB talk is hurting my eyes :)

Seriously though, I'd love to give it a go, but am scared it'd lead to needing yet another bike!

Verb wrote: »
    I think there should be a MTB outing for the boards.ie roadies. Yee would soon discover that cycling can actually be far more interesting !

lads, I'm brutal at it, but getting there, you might see another side to the sport you would like! take it from me cross over roadies to XC mtb do very well! as for bike something with a bit of bounce up front and your off!! our elite racers are as good off as on road!

I'm in the same club as ollie and morgan here, so we might plan a spinn some sat up B/stoe for the crack? nothing to hectic but a bit of fun!
    the loop is about 14km and 14km offorad = about 30 on.
    (PS make sure you all have your bupa and whi paid up !!:D:D)

I guess I'm a struggling mountain biker who attempts a bit of road.As for getting roadies to try it out,Ballinastoe would be no fun.No injuries=no fun.You need somewhere where the roadies would be guaranteed to fall.Straight down the Boneshaker I say:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

11k commute each way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Long distance commuter 11k each way, and try to get out for a 40k+ spin at least once over the weekend. assuming the total elevation of that 40k is less than one meter :D Im not a hill climber at all... yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

I would do a 26km round trip..It takes me average 32 mins to travel 13km to work and 40 home as its all uphill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Damn, I just realised that doing a 24km commute in a pair of beach shorts and sweaty t-shirt probably makes me a fred :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Damn, I just realised that doing a 24km commute in a pair of beach shorts and sweaty t-shirt probably makes me a fred :eek:

Though maybe wearing discovery gear on a 5km commute would be more fred'ish!

72oo

Advertisement