Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raw -Spoilers- 30/6/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

rovert wrote: »
    Pardon?

Dont all heels have this "gimmick."

Yeah but MVP says it. You've seen Punk in ROH right? I'd like to see him eventually break out the "gimmick" he was doing in late 2003 during his feud with Raven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Who'd be the face and who'd be the heel? If Jeff was the face, it wuld only work if they approached his drug use the way they did with Eddie G in his feud with Angle.

I think Jeff would have to be the face and he is way over more than Punk.

I would love to see a feud between CM Punk and Jeff Hardy hopefully it might happen later down the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

it did look like **** tho

in comparison to lesnars fireman carry on akebono in japan it looked great :D

performing the gts, any gts on a huge guy like jbl requires skill he could easily have kevin nashed it lol

i would love to see him attempt one on mark henry though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

JP Liz wrote: »
    I think Jeff would have to be the face and he is way over more than Punk.

I would love to see a feud between CM Punk and Jeff Hardy hopefully it might happen later down the line

Oh I agree, i'm just saying the feud would only work if they approached Jeff Hardy's drug use as they did with Eddie G in his feud with Angle. It's not going to work if Jeff comes out and says "Hey Punk, you're lame for being straightedge and thinking you're better than me, drug use is cool!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Double C wrote: »
    Yeah but MVP says it.

???

???

He's saying that one of MVP's lines or "catchphrases" is "......because I am better than you."

He's saying that one of MVP's lines or "catchphrases" is "......because I am better than you."

No he said
    Punk vs HBK with Punk as a heel, preferably with the Better than You gimmick (damn you MVP for ripping that off!).

Double C is saying, if there was a Punk heel turn, he would like to see him feud with HBK using the 'heel straightedge' persona of being better than everyoe else. Double C is of the opinion however that MVP has ripped off this persona (his opinion, not mine).

Double C is saying, if there was a Punk heel turn, he would like to see him feud with HBK using the 'heel straightedge' persona of being better than everyoe else. Double C is of the opinion however that MVP has ripped off this persona (his opinion, not mine).

Direct quotes please since your are acting as his spokesperson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

It's obvious what Double C means. He wants Punk to use his old gimmick that he had in ROH where his catchphrase was "I'm better than you". And since MVP says that now, Punk can't really

I don't think that a heel Punk would work now. First of all, he's much smaller than all the faces apart from HBK. Second, I can't see him using the straightedge gimmick as a heel. It worked on the indys as most of the crowd drank, often during the shows. There's a lot more kids in the WWE audience who won't get the gimmick

There's also the problem with using the straight edge gimmick at all. If he's to play it up it suggests that what makes him different from all the other wrestlers is that he doesn't use drugs. I think WWE are more sensitive about issues like that now more than ever and they'd never have Punk using an anti-drug gimmick to get heat

• Advertisement

not buying that punk is too small to headline as he is bigger than jericho, kofi and mysterio on raw as well as michaels

he is also as big as kennedy, both hardys and much bigger than all the cruiserweights.

Fozzy wrote: »
    It's obvious what Double C means. He wants Punk to use his old gimmick that he had in ROH where his catchphrase was "I'm better than you". And since MVP says that now, Punk can't really

He wasnt talking about about catchphrases he was talking about gimmicks. I want HIM to reply to clear it up hence why I asked him the question.

Jesus Christ.

Yeah, Punks old phrase was "Straight Edge means I'm better than you". In the 3 years since he last used that phrase MVP has started saying that he's better than you, therefore it wouldn't work if Punk started saynig it again as it would seem to the majority of people that Punk was ripping off MVP's line, when really the opposite is (kind of) true.

Sorry if I was vague in my original post :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

I want HIM to reply to clear it up hence why I asked him the question.

Well you dont always get what you want .

rossie1977 wrote: »
    not buying that punk is too small to headline as he is bigger than jericho, kofi and mysterio on raw as well as michaels

he is also as big as kennedy, both hardys and much bigger than all the cruiserweights.

I didn't say that he was too small to headline. I said that he's too small to be a heel when the faces that he'd be facing would all be much bigger than him, apart from Michaels. I don't think that it would work

Well you dont always get what you want .

But if you try sometime you find you get what you need

But if you try sometime you find you get what you need

Ah the Rolling Stones, what a band but I don't really care for that song.....:p

I didn't say that he was too small to headline. I said that he's too small to be a heel when the faces that he'd be facing would all be much bigger than him, apart from Michaels. I don't think that it would work

i didn't realise you were talking about turning him heel but even then what about a sneaky heel with a giant bodyguard who helps him win matches. 6'11 350lb mike jarvi has been biding his time in fcw for the best part of a year now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

They are kind of already doing that gimmick though really

• Advertisement

Ah the Rolling Stones

No, Bret Hart

Jesus Christ.

Yeah, Punks old phrase was "Straight Edge means I'm better than you". In the 3 years since he last used that phrase MVP has started saying that he's better than you, therefore it wouldn't work if Punk started saynig it again as it would seem to the majority of people that Punk was ripping off MVP's line, when really the opposite is (kind of) true.

Sorry if I was vague in my original post :rolleyes:

So are you saying CM Punk came up with that line?

Ratings breakdown for Raw:

9:00 -- 3.22
    9:15 -- 3.62
    9:30 -- 3.51
    9:45 -- 3.36
    10:00 -- 3.79
    10:15 -- 3.48
    10:30 -- 3.46
    10:45 -- 3.43
    Overrun -- 4.12

Seems young Phillip created quite the buzz.

So are you saying CM Punk came up with that line?

The Straight Edge means I'm better than you line?

Yeah probably.

The Straight Edge means I'm better than you line?

Yeah probably.

Some fan you are then

Remember you wrote:
    Punk vs HBK with Punk as a heel, preferably with the Better than You gimmick (damn you MVP for ripping that off!).

Some fan you are then

Remember you wrote:

:confused: What's your point? That he used the wrong word?

• Advertisement

Some fan you are then
    Some pain in the arse you are!

I really dont see you point. You are making a mountain out of a molehille here. My point remains the same, I'd like to see Punk as a heel against Michaels with Punk using the straight edge "gimmick". A large part of the straight edge gimmick was that he would say that he's "better than you" because he was drug free. This would work especially well against the born again christian HBK. But I dont think he can get away with saying "better than you" because MVP has been saying it recently. Understand??

Some pain in the arse you are!

I really dont see you point. You are making a mountain out of a molehille here. My point remains the same, I'd like to see Punk as a heel against Michaels with Punk using the straight edge "gimmick". A large part of the straight edge gimmick was that he would say that he's "better than you" because he was drug free. This would work especially well against the born again christian HBK. But I dont think he can get away with saying "better than you" because MVP has been saying it recently. Understand??

You said MVP ripped off CM Punk and you hold yourself as a career expert of him with an understanding of straight edge. But you dont know where that line came from which does underpin of all it. :eek:

All I know about the straight edge lifestyle is what I hear from Punk. And Ian McKaye from Fugazi. I know it stems fro the hardcore scene in Washington but thats about it. No drink, no drugs, no promiscous sex, no lying no back stabbing etc. Doesn't sound like the best of craic to be fair. Please enlighten me on where the phrase came from. And dont google it.

All I know about the straight edge lifestyle is what I hear from Punk. And Ian McKaye from Fugazi. I know it stems fro the hardcore scene in Washington but thats about it. No drink, no drugs, no promiscous sex, no lying no back stabbing etc. Doesn't sound like the best of craic to be fair. Please enlighten me on where the phrase came from. And dont google it.

Well your response took long enough to where Im sceptical that you didnt google your reply not to mention you are the one who brought google up.

rovert, what is your point? Do you really think that Double C spent over an hour and a half on Google to come up with that reply? Nobody has any idea what you're on about

• Advertisement

Well your response took long enough to where Im sceptical that you didnt google your reply not to mention you are the one who brought google up.

Ha, no I was just playing 5 a side for the last hour and a half, not sitting by a computer like some people. Im still waiting to hear the true origin of the phrase.

rovert, what is your point? Do you really think that Double C spent over an hour and a half on Google to come up with that reply?

I didnt say he did.
    Nobody has any idea what you're on about

if your not now, then you never were

Ha, no I was just playing 5 a side for the last hour and a half, not sitting by a computer like some people..

I did 15km on my excercise bike
    Im still waiting to hear the true origin of the phrase.

Given what you posted you probably should already. Punk's catchphrase is derived from a Minor Threat song. MVP didnt rip of Punk's catchphrase, so dont throw around accusations like than. I know this but Im not a fan of him.

Punk is not original in anyway.

But the straight edge thing is original in the world of pro wrestling, which is what we are here to talk about. Well done for knowing the answer though, I must root out the Minor Threat cds and listem to them again.

I would bet though that MVP heard Punk using that phrase and decided to use it himself. But thats MVP ripping off McKaye and not Punk. Got ya.

I would bet though that MVP heard Punk using that phrase and decided to use it himself. But thats MVP ripping off McKaye and not Punk. Got ya.

Who says it was MVP who heard/ripped off Punk?

Proof?

Well I was talking to MVP the other day...

I didn't say it was true, I saqid I would bet he heard him say it in a promo. He did appear in ROH back when Punk was cutting his teeth with that gimmick.

Well I was talking to MVP the other day...

I didn't say it was true, I saqid I would bet he heard him say it in a promo. He did appear in ROH back when Punk was cutting his teeth with that gimmick.

Well you did say this and which brings me back to my original reply:
    Punk vs HBK with Punk as a heel, preferably with the Better than You gimmick (damn you MVP for ripping that off!)
    Pardon?

Which is a fair question considering we are talking about Wrestling.

So we go right back to the start do we? I've replied to this already. I'm not going to go quoting myself, its on the previous page.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kelator

Who says it was MVP who heard/ripped off Punk?

Proof?

Double C, as rovert as already prooved in nearly every thread he has ever posted in, personal opinion does not count for anything, you need hard facts / quatifiable statistics. Therefore I suggest getting a brain scan done while watching any wrestling so that you can get pictures of your brain as you react too different scenarios, then post them here as factual evidence of your opinion.

kelator wrote: »
    Double C, as rovert as already prooved in nearly every thread he has ever posted in, personal opinion does not count for anything, you need hard facts / quatifiable statistics. Therefore I suggest getting a brain scan done while watching any wrestling so that you can get pictures of your brain as you react too different scenarios, then post them here as factual evidence of your opinion.

Erm, dude this isnt opinion:

No you didnt

• Advertisement

Yes I did.

Yes I did.

Not to this:

I did. I said yes.

I did. I said yes.

Where?

Post #102.

You asked dont all heels have a better than you gimick. They do to an extent, but not where they say it all the time. "I'm better than you" is a phrase that MVP uses on a regular basis. I might start using it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Well "gimmick" from this forum says it too (in his sig), although he claims that because he's from Cork, which is questionable at best.

Hey, does that make him a heel too? ;)
    VR!

Post #102.

You asked dont all heels have a better than you gimick. They do to an extent, but not where they say it all the time. "I'm better than you" is a phrase that MVP uses on a regular basis. I might start using it too.

How does this answer my question of "Dont all heels have this "gimmick" ?
    Yeah but MVP says it. You've seen Punk in ROH right? I'd like to see him eventually break out the "gimmick" he was doing in late 2003 during his feud with Raven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Jeez. I would say nearly every wrestler playing either a heel or face has said I am better than you.

However MVP's persistent use of it has turned it into a catchphrase. A catchphrase which is now associated with him within the WWE.

If Punk came out and started saying "I am better than you" persistently or started using it as a catchphrase it would look like he ripping of MVP.

There is a difference between saying "I am better than you" (as Edge has done over the last few weeks with Batista) in a segment, and using it as a catchphrase (as MVP has done since his feud with Matt Hardy).

Jeez. I would say nearly every wrestler playing either a heel or face has said I am better than you.

However MVP's persistent use of it has turned it into a catchphrase. A catchphrase which is now associated with him within the WWE.

If Punk came out and started saying "I am better than you" persistently or started using it as a catchphrase it would look like he ripping of MVP.

There is a difference between saying "I am better than you" (as Edge has done over the last few weeks with Batista) in a segment, and using it as a catchphrase (as MVP has done since his feud with Matt Hardy).

Thats what I was getting at and it is one of the reasons why I questioned Double C about what he said in the first place.

• Advertisement

TBH I didn't know Edge had been saying it, I rarely if ever see Smackdown. the few times I have seen it MVP has been using the phrase.

Is a simple yes/no answer to your question not good enough? You asked the question and I said yes. I then elaborated and eluded to the fact that while the majority of heels will have a superiority complex of some sort where they think thay are better than everyone else, it's not common for them to say that phrase. Its typical for heels (and faces for that matter) to believe they are better than everyone else, its another matter saying the phrase. A phrase which was introduced to wrestling (as far as I am concerned) by CM Punk but has been used (ripped off) on a regular basis by MVP (and Edge apparently).

Advertisement