Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am I the only one who sticks to the speed limit?

Options
  • 01-07-2008 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

I drove down to Dublin last night from the North and again I was amazed by the fact that while I was on or very very close to the speed limit, loads of cars were overtaking me and speeding down the road. By the speed that they went past, they must have been going at least 10-20kph faster than I was.

Then on the M50, where the roadworks are, the speed limit is 60 kph but has anyone ever tried sticking to that? If you do, you will have an unearthly queue of traffic behind you trying to get past which is quite intimidating. I suspect the cops wouldn't care if they pulled you for going faster than 60kph on the M50 and your excuse was that everyone was backed up behind you and it was forcing you to go faster.

Occasionally I might put the hammer down and go 5-10 kph over, to scoot past someone who is half on the road, half on the hard shoulder but I immediately slow down once I get past. But I'm amazed how many people just zoom past all the time even when I'm on the speed limit.

Again on that wonderful N2 from Castleblayney to Ardee there was some idiot who came speeding past going at least 120 kph with the limit being 100 kph. He also passed me on a bend and I don't know how he didn't know there was nothing coming on that side of the road. My guess is that he's just another ignorant driver who didn't care.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Where conditions permit, I tend to range up to 180 or so km/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Anan1 wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I drove down to Dublin last night from the North and again I was amazed by the fact that while I was on or very very close to the speed limit, loads of cars were overtaking me and speeding down the road. By the speed that they went past, they must have been going at least 10-20kph faster than I was.

Then on the M50, where the roadworks are, the speed limit is 60 kph but has anyone ever tried sticking to that? If you do, you will have an unearthly queue of traffic behind you trying to get past which is quite intimidating. I suspect the cops wouldn't care if they pulled you for going faster than 60kph on the M50 and your excuse was that everyone was backed up behind you and it was forcing you to go faster.

Occasionally I might put the hammer down and go 5-10 kph over, to scoot past someone who is half on the road, half on the hard shoulder but I immediately slow down once I get past. But I'm amazed how many people just zoom past all the time even when I'm on the speed limit.

Again on that wonderful N2 from Castleblayney to Ardee there was some idiot who came speeding past going at least 120 kph with the limit being 100 kph. He also passed me on a bend and I don't know how he didn't know there was nothing coming on that side of the road. My guess is that he's just another ignorant driver who didn't care.

you do also realise that 100km/h on most speedos is about 90 km/h in reality?

i always do a gps indicated 10km/h over the speed limit when cruising on motorways etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I read something about that on another thread alright but it was news to me. I assumed the reading on the speedometer was accurate.

That being said, do the speed cameras etc take this into consideration. So for arguements sake lets say on my speedometer it says I'm doing 100 kph but in reality I'm only doing 90 kph. What will show up on a speed camera, 90 kph or 100 kph?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Cyrus wrote: »
    you do also realise that 100km/h on most speedos is about 90 km/h in reality?

I wouldn't trust that. I heard / read this here. So I put my Sat Nav on map mode and watched the spped on it. At 120kph there was a 6kph difference. At 100kph there was only a 4kph difference. This is in an 2006 car. Maybe it is difference for older cars, but more likely, the calibration on speedo's is much better now adays, through using the ECU etc. there fore using the 10% method, you are gambling on getting caught for speeding.

• Advertisement

I have a SatNav in my car that I bought recently. I noticed that it often says I'm going slower than what the speedometer is reading. Maybe by about 8-9 miles per hour slower than what the speedometer says. However I don't know if I trust that and rather than getting caught for speeding, I stick to what the speedometer reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

My speedo is only about 4Kph out.

Grandmaster, the camera will not care nor will it know what your speedo says you are doing, it will only be able to measure your actual speed.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

sorry i should have said depends on car, wheel size, and speed, i was talking about speeds over 120km/h, my wheels are 19"

I wouldn't trust that. I heard / read this here. So I put my Sat Nav on map mode and watched the spped on it. At 120kph there was a 6kph difference. At 100kph there was only a 4kph difference. This is in an 2006 car. Maybe it is difference for older cars, but more likely, the calibration on speedo's is much better now adays, through using the ECU etc. there fore using the 10% method, you are gambling on getting caught for speeding.

i am speaking about my own car, not something i heard

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Anan1 wrote: »

I'd try and do the same. Car doesn't want to go past 170km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I have a SatNav in my car that I bought recently. I noticed that it often says I'm going slower than what the speedometer is reading. Maybe by about 8-9 miles per hour slower than what the speedometer says. However I don't know if I trust that and rather than getting caught for speeding, I stick to what the speedometer reads.

You seem utterly & totally obsessed with being caught speeding! It is a grey area I know & I can see your point but you're gonna have to stop being such an 'oul wan about this.

If - as you state - you have 'an unearthly queue of traffic behind you trying to get past', you are clearly doing something wrong. You are also spending an inordinate amount of time looking at your speedometer & fretting about being a few km/h over the limit rather than watching the road ahead.

You have to keep up with the general flow of traffic. In my experience it's generally 10mph or more over the posted limit. Even though you are technically breaking the law, you'd need to be pretty unlucky to be done at that speed

The problem arises in some sections where the posted limit is unreasonably low. You just have to use common sense and avoid being an obstruction. If that means breaking the limit by a small amount so be it. It's better than holding up a queue of frustrated drivers.

This is usually the point where the more sanctimoneous will point out that the law-is-the-law and that everybody else is wrong and they are right...:rolleyes: Sometimes, however, the law is an ass and a bit of good old-fashioned common sense is required...

I can kind of see your point.

But I find it massively irritating when I'm on a road where the limit is 100 kph for example and that's the speed I'm going at and I have assholes tight on by bumper driving, swerving from side to side behind me trying to get past.

In that situation I don't care what anyone thinks, I'm not doing anything wrong by not exceeding 100 kph. In fact I don't see why I should have to speed up and break the speed limit at any time, because others behind me are too impatient.

I have to say, I think the current 60 kph speed limit on the M50 is too slow and should be raised to 80 maybe.

But I guess some people will say it's right to break the speed limit and that everyone else is wrong :)

I can kind of see your point.

But I find it massively irritating when I'm on a road where the limit is 100 kph for example and that's the speed I'm going at and I have assholes tight on by bumper driving, swerving from side to side behind me trying to get past.

In that situation I don't care what anyone thinks, I'm not doing anything wrong by not exceeding 100 kph. In fact I don't see why I should have to speed up and break the speed limit at any time, because others behind me are too impatient.

I have to say, I think the current 60 kph speed limit on the M50 is too slow and should be raised to 80 maybe.

But I guess some people will say it's right to break the speed limit and that everyone else is wrong :)

people shouldnt be on your bumper, swerving etc, but nor is it for you to decide what speed they should be doing.

If you are on a single carriageway keep to the left to allow them room to pass, if one a dual carriageway stay out of the right hand lane, then everyone is happy

people shouldnt be on your bumper, swerving etc, but nor is it for you to decide what speed they should be doing.

If you are on a single carriageway keep to the left to allow them room to pass, if one a dual carriageway stay out of the right hand lane, then everyone is happy

Strange, I thought it was the Roads Authority or whoever who decides the speed limit. I guess the signs are just there for decoration.

Strange, I thought it was the Roads Authority or whoever who decides the speed limit. I guess the signs are just there for decoration.

they decide it, the guards enforce it,

so not your job or concern to worry about what speeds anyone else is doing is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

If more speed limits were realistic we'd have far more people actually obeying them. It's all about appropriate speed.

You can cry as much as you want about "the law is the law" but the simple fact is, if speed limits are set far too low (and they are in many cases), people will ignore them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭deisebabe

it is mental when you're doing 120 on the motorway and sumone flies past you at what makes it seem like you're doing 80.... I'm just jealous though...my car does the shakey shakes at a 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I see lots of pipe-and-slippers drivers travelling way below the limit, but few travelling just below it. Most people go with the traffic rather than hold it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm on the M50 maybe 2-3 times a week and I stick to the 60kph.
    Sure everyone flies by me but I'm the left so if they want to overtake then I'm not stopping them. Even lorries overtake me.
    I've never had anyone beep or flash me and sure why would they, I don't hog the outside lane.

I agree with the keeping up with traffic part but I've read threads about speed cameras and I don't know where they are or even if there are mobile speed checks.
    So I'll stick to the speed limit for now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭BrianD3

pburns wrote: »
    If - as you state - you have 'an unearthly queue of traffic behind you trying to get past', you are clearly doing something wrong. You are also spending an inordinate amount of time looking at your speedometer & fretting about being a few km/h over the limit rather than watching the road ahead.

You have to keep up with the general flow of traffic. In my experience it's generally 10mph or more over the posted limit. Even though you are technically breaking the law, you'd need to be pretty unlucky to be done at that speed

The problem arises in some sections where the posted limit is unreasonably low. You just have to use common sense and avoid being an obstruction. If that means breaking the limit by a small amount so be it. It's better than holding up a queue of frustrated drivers.

This is usually the point where the more sanctimoneous will point out that the law-is-the-law and that everybody else is wrong and they are right...:rolleyes: Sometimes, however, the law is an ass and a bit of good old-fashioned common sense is required...
    Everybody else is wrong - you included. Who taught you how to drive "you have to speed if the rest of the traffic is speeding", Jesus.

What next - let's all break red lights seeing as large numbers do it it must be correct. Let's gets frustrated when the inconsiderate driver in front has the nerve to stop at a red signal. Oh wait - it's already happening. I have gotten into two road rage incidents for stopping at red lights.

If drivers behind are frustrated because someone is driving legally and obeying the limit that's their problem. Also, any driver who lets himself be bullied by drivers behind into doing a) an illegal speed or b) a speed that they are not comfortable with, is a poor driver.

Re: speed limits being far too low, many of the limits that people complain about are fine. Often it's just that people have poor hazard perception so they see a "big straight road" and miss the potential hazards on it. Again, just because the braindead sheep herd majority out there think that a particular limit is too low doesn't make it the case.

As an aside I have to laugh at the morons on the M50 doing 80 or 90 km/h through the roadworks (60 km/h limit) and then when the limit changes to 120 km/h they stay at the same speed, often hogging the overtaking lane while they're at it.

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote: »
    If drivers behind are frustrated because someone is driving legally and obeying the limit that's their problem. Also, any driver who lets himself be bullied by drivers behind into doing a) an illegal speed or b) a speed that they are not comfortable with, is a poor driver.

so you believe people that drive at 100 km/h in the right hand land and are unwilling to move across if there is a stream of traffic behind them are in the right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I'll normally drive around the speed limits. If I come up behind some one driving slower than me, I'll over take them when I can.

If some one comes up behind me driving faster, I'll pull into the hard shoulder to let them pass or make it easier for them to get past me.

so you believe people that drive at 100 km/h in the right hand land and are unwilling to move across if there is a stream of traffic behind them are in the right?
    I said "driving legally and obeying the speed limit". Hogging the overtaking lane is not driving legally.

Also the OP mentions nothing about hogging the right hand lane.

If drivers behind are frustrated because someone is driving legally and obeying the limit that's their problem.

That could become your problem. You've already been involved with 2 road rage incidents, the next could be more serious. Think when driving.

AntiVirus wrote: »
    That could become your problem. You've already been involved with 2 road rage incidents, the next could be more serious. Think when driving.
    Okay I've thought - next time I come up to a red signal i'll drive through it in case the c*nt behind who should be in a psychiatric hospital decides to jump out of his car to berate me.
    :rolleyes:

Okay I've thought - next time I come up to a red signal i'll drive through it in case the c*nt behind who should be in a psychiatric hospital decides to jump out of his car to berate me.
    :rolleyes:

It's quite clear you can't think and I would say it shows in you driving as well. You own the road. :rolleyes:

AntiVirus wrote: »
    It's quite clear you can't think and I would say it shows in you driving as well. You own the road. :rolleyes:
    I can't think and I own the road because I obey the speed limit and stop at red signals. Oh Jesus.

Maybe you're one of the ones who should be in a mental hospital. Failing that, some driving lessons might be a help.

You're the only person I know who's had 2 road rage incidients for stopping legaly at lights. I think that tells it all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Oooh , this is a lovely hot topic. Handbags at the ready folks. Keyboard warrior time is approaching...

Anyway, I digress.
    The Road authority does set speed limits and you are right to stick by them. However, I do think that slavishly adhering to the speed limits is a mistake, it's legal but imo, it can also be wrong. If by doing so you are impeding the flow of traffic then it does create frustration for other drivers. We are after all, human and do get frustrated.

If I'm driving more slowly than the majority of traffic behind me (sometimes I'm happy to cruise at the 100 kph limit), I'll try to pull into a hard shoulder on a straight to let some traffic past me. I appreciate when others do the same for me.

The road I commute to work on is a dual (triple in places) carriageway with a speed limit of 70 mph (UK speed limit). 90% of traffic on this road is driving at 80 mph and more. The rest is usually HGV's limited to around 60 mph. I regularly pass traffic cops while driving at 80 mph or more and have never been stopped. That's because their attitude is that if traffic is flowing smoothly and there is no dangerous tail-gaiting or manoeuvring taking place, it's all gravy (good ;)).

I have however seen them pull over cars that were in the over-taking lane and driving at about 50 mph (20 mph under the legal limit 30+ mph under the limit that most people drive at). There's a lesson in common-sense there somwhere...although I imagine one could also argue that the cops aren't doing their job...

That said, I'd never drive at 40 mph in a 30 mph zone...they don't like that at all at all :D

Just my €0.02.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I was warned by my driving instructor not to stick to the limit if it meant holding up traffic, and my sister failed her test for not making sufficient progress. She was furious, as she was keeping just below the limit.

Of course this was back in the days of steam-driven horses, so what do I know.

Advertisement