Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am I the only one who sticks to the speed limit?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

if you loll around in your IAM test, you'll fail that for 'insufficient progress' too.

Driving is about being aware of your situation - holding up half the country because your speedo is (and it is, deliberately, for legal reasons), under reading your actual speed, is indicative of inattention. Careless even.
    And that's an offence under the RTA, too...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

galwaytt wrote: »
    if you loll around in your IAM test, you'll fail that for 'insufficient progress' too.
    You'll fail for breaking the speed limit too. I mean actually breaking it, say 20% over on the speedo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Strange, I thought it was the Roads Authority or whoever who decides the speed limit. I guess the signs are just there for decoration.

I looked into this some time ago and then I was told that urban speed limits are decided by councils, and that the NRA only decides those on national routes. In Waterford, for example, that means that the City Council decide the limits throughout the borough, which extends well outside the city limits. There was some suggestion at the time that the system would be changed, but there was no plan in place for doing so. Until there is some consistency in limiting, where the limits don't change every five minutes because you have left one council's remit and entered another's people will continue to exceed them because the erratic nature discredits those limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Cyrus wrote: »
    i am speaking about my own car, not something i heard

Fair enough, but the way it reeads, you are saying all cars are 10kph out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

You're not the only one. I stick to the limit 99% of the time. I hit to a GPS registered 100kph and turn on the cruise control and forget about it. People pass me, I pass people, it all works out and I don't have to be watching the speedo when I see a cop car pulling.

Works out nicely, it's stress free and I still get there as quick as the fools who push their luck. Might be a couple of mins in the difference, but what's 2 mins in the bigger scheme of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Everybody else is wrong - you included. Who taught you how to drive "you have to speed if the rest of the traffic is speeding", Jesus.

etc etc.

Rant, Rant

Huff, Puff

:rolleyes:
    Okay I've thought - next time I come up to a red signal i'll drive through it in case the c*nt behind who should be in a psychiatric hospital decides to jump out of his car to berate me.
    :rolleyes:
    I can't think and I own the road because I obey the speed limit and stop at red signals. Oh Jesus.
    Maybe you're one of the ones who should be in a mental hospital. Failing that, some driving lessons might be a help.

I think your aggressive language and general attitude show you up for what you are. So EVERYBODY else is wrong, you're right. :D The fact that you've brake-tested drivers at traffic lights in two seperate incidents and nearly got a slap in the gob is obviously a coincidence...:D:rolleyes:
    AntiVirus wrote: »
    It's quite clear you can't think and I would say it shows in you driving as well. You own the road. :rolleyes:

+1
    You're the only person I know who's had 2 road rage incidients for stopping legaly at lights. I think that tells it all. :D

+1:D
    Zube wrote: »
    I was warned by my driving instructor not to stick to the limit if it meant holding up traffic, and my sister failed her test for not making sufficient progress. She was furious, as she was keeping just below the limit.
    galwaytt wrote: »
    Driving is about being aware of your situation - holding up half the country because your speedo is (and it is, deliberately, for legal reasons), under reading your actual speed, is indicative of inattention. Careless even.
    And that's an offence under the RTA, too...........

Read the above two comments very carefully, cop on and stop being so sanctimoneous and self-opinionated. You obviously know the law but perhaps don't have the intellegence or common sense to know how to apply it appropriately. If your driving is as bad as your attitude you need go away and have a little conversation with yourself...

pburns wrote: »
    I think your aggressive language and general attitude show you up for what you are. So EVERYBODY else is wrong, you're right. :D
    No, pburns, he actually is right. I'll happily drive well in excess of the legal limit, but I don't expect other drivers to do the same to facilitate my speeding. In my opinion, Brian D3 is being neither sanctimonious nor aggressive - he's simply getting quite understandibly frustrated with your inability to absorb this simple point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Generally I'm going the speed limit but since I live in Dublin I rarely get to speed anyway.
    Some roads near me are ridiculously slow though. The Malahide Road being 60 km/ph seems very slow when it's not busy and the N32 also has a speed limit of 60 which you go into after coming off the M50 and along with a 24hr bus lane when no buses go up that road. Annoyingly, the gardai are there all the time.They booked people for bus lane driving after Christmas when there were 'Bus lane not in operation' signs on all the lamposts. Worst road ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

I think Brian D3 makes somes valid points here...he appears to be getting slated heavily for this. I have studied the usual IAM guidelines/advice/literature over the last few years, and whilst it has proven valuable, it just conflicts too much with the Rules of the Road in place in Ireland. I drive about 60,000 kms per annum, urban and rural, and whilst the techniques adopted by IAM technically make more sense, this does not overrule the law......

"Well Garda, I know I was travelling 20/30 kmh over the speed limit, and I know overtook 6 cars at the time, but the conditions dictated that this was safe to do so. I am an experienced driver with advanced training. My car is more than capable to carry this out. The road conditions were ideal..etc..".

Is the Garda going to say...."OK, I didn't realise....."

My point being that most of us will take a calculated risk in any such manaeuvres/speeding. It is nevertheless against the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

There's a spot near my house, heading south on the N11 just before it hits the roundabout and becomes the M11 where EVERYONE speeds. It's a ****ing joke.

The limit there is only 60km/h, where it should probably be 100km/h, I'll admit. The problem is I've seen more garda speed checks there than anywhere else. So I'll be tootling at 60km/h not wanting to get myself any points and you'll have lorries bombing it down the overtaking lane heading closer to a ton. What makes it more of a ****ing joke is you have to be in that right lane to get to my house, so I'm forced to floor it and speed to actually get into my lane usually. If I don't floor it and speed I'll have some righteous asshole in his 316i or his tractor engined Passat thinking he's driving a weapon 3 feet behind my bumper flipping me off for slowing down his precious overtaking lane...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

IF the OP decides to be courteous to other drivers, use hard shoulders to let other traffic pass (single lane roads) then I would imagine driving would become a lot less stressful for him.

People have a big issue regarding "I've paid my tax/insurance, I can drive how I like" attitudes. Perhaps the odd reminder that driving is a privilege and not a right might make people consider the nature of their driving styles a bit more, especially those who try to police anyone with more skill than them.

IF the OP decides to be courteous to other drivers, use hard shoulders to let other traffic pass (single lane roads) then I would imagine driving would become a lot less stressful for him.

People have a big issue regarding "I've paid my tax/insurance, I can drive how I like" attitudes. Perhaps the odd reminder that driving is a privilege and not a right might make people consider the nature of their driving styles a bit more, especially those who try to police anyone with more skill than them.
    Agreed. Although we also need to remember that more speed does not confer more skill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

especially those who try to police anyone with more skill than them.
    Where did this straw-man come from?

Where did this straw-man come from?
    There are unfortunately quite a few drivers who deliberately block the overtaking lane on the basis that nobody else should be permitted to speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

But you're just guessing.

They could just be ignorant/inconsiderate or too busy on the phone.

Or, there is no overtaking lane, they're driving on the left of the road at sensible speed and some aggressive driver is ranting that the driver in front is 'acting the policeman'.

But you're just guessing.

They could just be ignorant/inconsiderate or too busy on the phone.
    People block the overtaking lane for all sorts of reasons. I (and I think many posters here) have experienced drivers 'policing' the overtaking lane.
    Or, there is no overtaking lane, they're driving on the left of the road at sensible speed and some aggressive driver is ranting that the driver in front is 'acting the policeman'.
    Did you actually read my last post?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Anything under motorway speed will observe the speed limit almost 100% of the time. The odd time on national roads will push it if only to get past a car that snails it through a winding stretch. On motorway usually stick to speed limit but have been known to occasionally push it to 10% over when I am in a real rush. Only real bugbear these days is the "monospeed" driver - same speed whatever the section of road, which nearly always means they speed in 50 kph zones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 chipclub

When I am in charge all vehicles will be fitted with a tracking device and speed restrictor. The two will work in tandem to determine the position of the vehicle and physically prevent it from moving faster than the legal speed limit at that point.

The system will also be used to report on slow drivers. Anyone moving consistently slowly will be required to take a new driving test.

chipclub wrote: »
    When I am in charge all vehicles will be fitted with a tracking device and speed restrictor. The two will work in tandem to determine the position of the vehicle and physically prevent it from moving faster than the legal speed limit at that point.
    You sound like a fun guy to have in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I think this is a fantastic idea!
    I'll be able to go everywhere with my foot flat to the floor, secure in the knowledge that the technology will restrict the car to the relevant speed limit, thus ensuring my perfect safety. :D

Poor man's cruise control-
    brickja2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

pburns wrote: »
    Read the above two comments very carefully, cop on and stop being so sanctimoneous and self-opinionated. You obviously know the law but perhaps don't have the intellegence or common sense to know how to apply it appropriately. If your driving is as bad as your attitude you need go away and have a little conversation with yourself...

who is this aimed at?

If it's aimed at me, consider: what I wrote is fact. Under the RTA it's called 'careless', in the UK 'driving without due care and attention' - make your own mind up what you want to call it.

Application of rule by law is in the main, by the letter, not the spirit. This is evidenced by the vast majority of defence's being on technical points........the records or full of cases both decided and appealed so.

Now, if my speedo indicates 110kph, and I know that that's still reading under the GTC calibated instrument pointed at me from the roadside, all the time 'overtaking' all those travelling at an 'indicated' 100kph, then I'm not breaking any law. Once again, fact.

What you wrote, oth, is indeed sanctamonious and opinionated - oh, that's spelt with an 'i', btw.........;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The system will also be used to report on slow drivers. Anyone moving consistently slowly will be required to take a new driving test.

Why not go the whole hog and let the cars drive themselves? You'll have no speeding and road efficiency would improve as vehicles could travel in tight conveys reducing road space used. The technology is here, it's just no-one wants to be blamed if it all goes haywire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Del2005 wrote: »
    Why not go the whole hog and let the cars drive themselves? You'll have no speeding and road efficiency would improve as vehicles could travel in tight conveys reducing road space used. The technology is here, it's just no-one wants to be blamed if it all goes haywire.

Going by our government's track record on computer software all the nation's cars would end up in a warehouse in Waterford within days:rolleyes:

There will be hundreds of crashes per day as people try to overtake cars traveling 10 kph below have to sit across the white line for 20 seconds.

Hundreds more will die trying to get up to speed when someone pulls out in front of them, because their brakes can't stop them quick enough, and your box won't let them overtake safely.

Not too clever. It's like the RSA, nanny-state fools with authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Can anyone actually give a good reason why a speed limit is too slow? Other than - i can go faster here and i am not allowed? Why do you feel the need to go faster? What purpose does it serve? Aside from whether it is legal or not I have never seen a good argument put to why a speed limit should be increased. Is it just that everyone is just so impatient these days that they feel the need to go 50 kmh over the speed limit to save 10 minutes on their journey? or worse still to go 20 kmh over in a 60 kmh zone and save seconds on their journey? What is the need for speed? That is the point I just don't get.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Can anyone actually give a good reason why a speed limit is too slow? Other than - i can go faster here and i am not allowed? Why do you feel the need to go faster? What purpose does it serve? Aside from whether it is legal or not I have never seen a good argument put to why a speed limit should be increased. Is it just that everyone is just so impatient these days that they feel the need to go 50 kmh over the speed limit to save 10 minutes on their journey? or worse still to go 20 kmh over in a 60 kmh zone and save seconds on their journey? What is the need for speed? That is the point I just don't get.

id love to hear the argument for capping a proper motorway at 120km/h or a dual carriageway at 100 km/h?

For those of us who drive 400-500 miles per week, a slowdown on one part of a road could mean a half hour delay. If I get bogged down in morons on the M50 heading to Wexford from Lucan, it means I lose 20-30 minutes in traffic in Enniscorthy. I can't leave any earlier (work commitments) and I can't leave any later, as the traffic would be utter madness.

I really dislike those who block the motorway or single lane road with 60 acres of hard shoulder just beside them. It's so unbelievably selfish.

And frustrating!

/Rant

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

go 20 kmh over in a 60 kmh zone and save seconds on their journey?

Driving 100km at 60kmh takes 1 hour 40 minutes
    Driving 100km at 80kmh takes 1 hour 15 minutes

Driving 1km at 60kmh takes 60 seconds
    Driving 1km at 80kmh takes 45 seconds

Only saves seconds when driving for a short distance
    What is the need for speed?

To get from A -> B more quickly.

To get from A -> B more quickly.

shhh, he doesn't need to know the sekrit! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's when the goverment go to the trouble of building a road to a high standard and then place a stupidly slow limit on it. We've all seen high quaility N roads with 80 or worst still 60 limits and then a cr@p back road leading off it at 80km/h.

Also all our motorways are built to a 160km/h standard so why do we have a 120km/h limit?

The over use of low limits reduces their effectiveness. The only place that should have a 30km/h is outside schools and town centres. The over use of low limits means people tend to ignore them, if they where only used where there was a danger and they where policed correctly then the roads would be safer.

I heard a rumour that the reason why a lot of roads out of towns have low limits is because you can't get planning permisson to build onto a 80/100 road so the councils reduce the limit to build more houses.

Advertisement