Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am I the only one who sticks to the speed limit?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anan1 wrote: »
    Did you actually read my last post?

Course not, he couldn't spout anti-motorist bile if he read posts fully now could he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Cyrus wrote: »
    id love to hear the argument for capping a proper motorway at 120km/h or a dual carriageway at 100 km/h?

Why Not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 chipclub

There will be hundreds of crashes per day as people try to overtake cars traveling 10 kph below have to sit across the white line for 20 seconds.

Hundreds more will die trying to get up to speed when someone pulls out in front of them, because their brakes can't stop them quick enough, and your box won't let them overtake safely.

Not too clever. It's like the RSA, nanny-state fools with authority.

I appreciate your concerns but this will definitely be one of my first changes when I am in charge.

I do not drive over the speed limit and my car has poor acceleration but I have yet to die when someone pulls out in front of me or when I am struggling to overtake a car doing 10kph under the limit. This is because when sticking to the speed limit I limit any danger should someone pull out and I know my car's capabilities so I don't spend 20 seconds on the wrong side of the road while inching past a slower car.

Consider this as similar to the smoking ban. Smokers were very angry but soon got used to it and we are all better off for it. My ban on speeding will cause grief at first but people will get used to it and the next generation of drivers will never know anything different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

For those of us who drive 400-500 miles per week, a slowdown on one part of a road could mean a half hour delay. If I get bogged down in morons on the M50 heading to Wexford from Lucan, it means I lose 20-30 minutes in traffic in Enniscorthy. I can't leave any earlier (work commitments) and I can't leave any later, as the traffic would be utter madness.

I really dislike those who block the motorway or single lane road with 60 acres of hard shoulder just beside them. It's so unbelievably selfish.

And frustrating!

/Rant

:D

I am not supporting people who go under the speed limit they annoy me as much as the next man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Can anyone actually give a good reason why a speed limit is too slow? Other than - i can go faster here and i am not allowed? Why do you feel the need to go faster? What purpose does it serve? Aside from whether it is legal or not I have never seen a good argument put to why a speed limit should be increased. Is it just that everyone is just so impatient these days that they feel the need to go 50 kmh over the speed limit to save 10 minutes on their journey? or worse still to go 20 kmh over in a 60 kmh zone and save seconds on their journey? What is the need for speed? That is the point I just don't get.

Because it's not 10 minutes on your journey, it can be alot closer to an hour if your driving far enough. Like your example of 80 in a 60 zone, if were both driving on a 60 kmh road thats 120 kilometers long, your driving 60, im driving 80, it's going to take you 1h 20m to cover the distance I cover in an hour, if it's a really long journey (like 3 or 4 hours) it can make a pretty big difference
    I am not supporting people who go under the speed limit they annoy me as much as the next man.

But why do they annoy you? Sure if your stuck behind them for a while it's probably only going to add 10 minutes to your journey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Why Not?

because these roads are suitable to travel on at speeds far exceeding the limits

Why Not?

Proper motorways are engineered for 160kmh+ and very few if any accidents on motorways are caused by people doing these level of speeds in acceptable conditions (dry, clear, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

chipclub wrote: »
    I appreciate your concerns but this will definitely be one of my first changes when I am in charge.

You'll be waiting along time, take a ticket and stand behind me in the "When I am in charge" queue. :D

When I'm in charge I'm going to build better safer roads and remove all potholes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Never in a million years did I think the thread would last this long :)

Well there was no worry about exceeding 60 kph on the M50 last night. I was coming in on the N7 and headed north on the M50 and just after I got onto the M50, I was in 1st gear from there the whole way through the toll plaza up as far as Blanchardstown approx. I think there must have been an accident as just as I was approaching the toll plaza, an ambulance and fire engine went past all sirens blaring. However I stayed on the M50 until the M1 turnoff by which point the traffic was back at normal speed and I didn't see any evidence of an accident at all.

Either they had cleared it all up in the space of half an hour, or I missed it, or something else was causing the huge delays. Whatever it was added an extra half hour onto my journey. It's frustrating but then if it was an accident, you automatically hope that no-one was seriously hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

AntiVirus wrote: »
    When I'm in charge I'm going to build better safer roads and remove all potholes. :)

Makes alot more sense than the tripe below
    I do not drive over the speed limit and my car has poor acceleration but I have yet to die when someone pulls out in front of me or when I am struggling to overtake a car doing 10kph under the limit. This is because when sticking to the speed limit I limit any danger should someone pull out and I know my car's capabilities so I don't spend 20 seconds on the wrong side of the road while inching past a slower car.

You can only limit your own danger so much, other people will make mistakes, your argument has no basis in reality at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I also usually stick to the speed limit. I used to get frustrated by people overtaking or tailgating me but then I stopped caring - I have no right to decide how other people should drive. If someone wants to overtake me on a single carriageway I try my best to allow them by moving to the left and whatever.

I must admit I drove all the way back to Limerick from Dublin on the M7 at around 100km/h a couple of weeks ago - the vibration from my steering was unbearable at 120km/h (yeah I know I have to get it checked out) and I was in no rush. I don't think I did anything wrong though - at the end of the day they're limits, not targets, and I wasn't stopping anyone from overtaking me. And there were still people going even slower than me :D

I don't know about this pulling into the hard shoulder business though. I know it's the done thing if you're driving something particularly slow (speed limited to 80km/h, tractor etc.), but when you're driving close to or at the speed limit? I'd only think of using it in an emergency.

I find speeding in areas where there's pavements on the roadsides or pedestrians nearby completely unacceptable though (I assume this is what most of you aren't arguing about but anyway). The Condell Road (N18) in Limerick - there's footpaths nearby and you occasionally find people crossing the road, which I assume is the reason why it's limited to 60km/h. Few people care about the limit though and drive 80+. Not surprising at all a pedestrian was killed there earlier this year. :rolleyes: If we could be trusted to not speed in pedestrian areas we wouldn't have to put up with all those goddamn annoying ramps...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

indeed, I'll hand you the keys on the way out.......
    No one advocates you should break the limit. The point made in this thread by several, is that you are not actually speeding just by driving over 100/120 etc. All that number is, is give you an approximation.
    Besides, you are also in danger of making another error: the speed limit is not a target. It's not something you should be trying to get to, all the time. The speed limit is an advisory, only, and should be treated as such. To treat it like some sort of Grail in Not A Good Idea....

However, I'd be concerned that you you think that in a slow car like yours, that you should be anywhere near the limit in the first place. You tell us your car is slow, and in a car that so underperforms, and on the limit, I'd wonder about your brakes and suspension too...........power isn't about speed, it's also about control. Power can as often get you out trouble, as in it. A slow one can do nothing but get you in it in the first place......

It is my experience, and I'm sure that of many other people who've spent time on the roads for a living, that it's not speeding Porsches and Jaguars that's the issue - it's speeding Corsa's and Golfs etc - and the uniting factor in them all is.............inertia. And true, it is a common trait for those who can least speed...........will do their utmost to not lose it when they get it. Call it the moped syndrome, if you like. Once you get to 60/70/80, you do not want to lose it, and so chances are taken, and behaviour is modified. You'll find that those in larger/faster cars etc, quite often hang bang back until the opportunity arises, and then act. With aplomb, sometimes :)

Consider this as similar to the smoking ban. Smokers were very angry but soon got used to it and we are all better off for it. My ban on speeding will cause grief at first but people will get used to it and the next generation of drivers will never know anything different.
    You're right about one thing, we will be mad.......and road deaths will not decrease one iota because of it. And like the smoking ban, unfortunately, the flotsam will be found at the roadside............not good.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

galwaytt wrote: »
    However, I'd be concerned that you you think that in a slow car like yours, that you should be anywhere near the limit in the first place. You tell us your car is slow, and in a car that so underperforms, and on the limit, I'd wonder about your brakes and suspension too...........power isn't about speed, it's also about control. Power can as often get you out trouble, as in it. A slow one can do nothing but get you in it in the first place......

It is my experience, and I'm sure that of many other people who've spent time on the roads for a living, that it's not speeding Porsches and Jaguars that's the issue - it's speeding Corsa's and Golfs etc - and the uniting factor in them all is.............inertia. And true, it is a common trait for those who can least speed...........will do their utmost to not lose it when they get it. Call it the moped syndrome, if you like. Once you get to 60/70/80, you do not want to lose it, and so chances are taken, and behaviour is modified. You'll find that those in larger/faster cars etc, quite often hang bang back until the opportunity arises, and then act. With aplomb, sometimes :)

QFT

Most people dont seem to realise that there's a big difference between doing 130kph in a micra and a porsche

mthd wrote: »
    QFT

Most people dont seem to realise that there's a big difference between doing 130kph in a micra and a porsche

There would also big a big difference in stopping distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

mthd wrote: »
    QFT

There would also big a big difference in stopping distance.

Having said that ...there is very little difference when things go wrong

peasant wrote: »
    Having said that ...there is very little difference when things go wrong

It's the little difference that may count in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It's the little difference that may count in the end

Your Porsche (or whatever) may have better brakes ...your internal organs don't. They'll be just as mashed when you drive them into a tree at 130 km/h ...whether the propellant is a Porsche or a Micra is immaterial to the tree and your kidneys, spleen, liver, brain, etc

Yes, it may be safer (certainly easier) to speed in a powerful car than a wheezy one, you may even be given a way out (by stronger brakes or remaining acceleration capabilities) that the wheezy car can't offer ...but I find that these extra capabilities are usually more than offset by the gross over-estimation that the diver places in his own and his cars' abilities.

At the end of the day the laws of physics always win.

My organs are made from carbon fibre. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Your Porsche (or whatever) may have better brakes ...your internal organs don't. They'll be just as mashed when you drive them into a tree at 130 km/h ...whether the propellant is a Porsche or a Micra is immaterial to the tree and your kidneys, spleen, liver, brain, etc
    There's only one car for the ould driving into trees at high speeds, the mighty Audi RS6.
    More details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

When I am in charge all vehicles will be fitted with a tracking device and speed restrictor. The two will work in tandem to determine the position of the vehicle and physically prevent it from moving faster than the legal speed limit at that point.

The system will also be used to report on slow drivers. Anyone moving consistently slowly will be required to take a new driving test.

A lot of people think speed restrictors are the solution, I think they are a good Idea until its time to overtake. Is the speed restrictor going to cause your car to stop accelerating mid overtake and at other times cause a dangerously slow overtake?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I remember years ago thinking to myself, if the maximum speed in a country is X miles per hour. Why don't they just modify the cars so they can't go any faster than that.

Obviously I'm sure it's not as simple as that, and I'm guessing I will get flamed now for even suggesting such a thing, or even for having an opinion :)

I remember years ago thinking to myself, if the maximum speed in a country is X miles per hour. Why don't they just modify the cars so they can't go any faster than that.

Obviously I'm sure it's not as simple as that, and I'm guessing I will get flamed now for even suggesting such a thing, or even for having an opinion :)

Because everything man can do can be undone by man. Restrictors would be stripped, simple as. Waste of time, money and effort - should suggest it to Fianna Fail, they'd love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Could leave you in danger if you go to overtake someone 10k below the limit, you want to complete the move as quickly as possible rather than sitting on the far side of the road waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Top Gear did it a few years ago. They had an old car that could only do 60mph. It had wire drum brakes, so couldn't stop fast or at all in the rain. The steering was sh!te and there was no strenght in the car. This was when it was new, not when the show was made.

Since cars can now easily do 100+mph we have hydrauluic servo assited brakes, power steering and crumple zones. The new car which has higher power and is faster is a safer car. If cars hadn't got faster we'd all be driving Morris Minors or some other death trap where the crumple zone is the passengers.

Also the speed limit in this country is 120km/h. Whats to stop someone driving at 120km/h outside a school? The problem is inappropiate speed not speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dreamr

i drive at the speed limit, but i think that 60 is to low for the N11.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

dreamr wrote: »
    i drive at the speed limit, but i think that 60 is to low for the N11.

+ a gazillion.

Promote that man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

dreamr wrote: »
    i think that 60 is to low for the N11.
    Any particular part of the N11?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the 60 km/h zone in kilmacanogue :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yes, it may be safer (certainly easier) to speed in a powerful car than a wheezy one, you may even be given a way out (by stronger brakes or remaining acceleration capabilities) that the wheezy car can't offer ...but I find that these extra capabilities are usually more than offset by the gross over-estimation that the diver places in his own and his cars' abilities.

At the end of the day the laws of physics always win.

But the P car (or any other hi-spec car for that matter, Nissan, Honda, whatever...), has been designed to cope with greater performance demands in every sphere - suspension, brakes, tyres. For this reason you'll find the car will be less likely to end up in the tree in the first place, because - as you say, physics - will be harvested with the better gear to haul it up quicker. Not guaranteed, naturally.
    Grandmaster Why don't they just modify the cars so they can't go any faster than that.
    I wish I knew this years ago - I'd have kept my (from new) Cinquecento Sporting. Would have saved me a fortune over the years too ! :D:D

Actually, no, scrap that - that broke the speed limit too.......:P

mmm....Suzuki Alto, anyone ?:eek: ......there's an '85 one with 39 miles on it for sale near me, iirc..........all 3-cyl and 797cc's worth. Makes you shudder to think that's all we could aspire to..... :(

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭blackbox

Cyrus wrote: »
    the 60 km/h zone in kilmacanogue :mad:

If they changed the southbound carriageway so that cars could only pull onto the slip road (and up to the roundabout) when exiting from the petrol station this speed limit could be removed.

Advertisement