Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am I the only one who sticks to the speed limit?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

peasant wrote: »
    Your Porsche (or whatever) may have better brakes ...your internal organs don't. They'll be just as mashed when you drive them into a tree at 130 km/h ...whether the propellant is a Porsche or a Micra is immaterial to the tree and your kidneys, spleen, liver, brain, etc

Yes, it may be safer (certainly easier) to speed in a powerful car than a wheezy one, you may even be given a way out (by stronger brakes or remaining acceleration capabilities) that the wheezy car can't offer ...but I find that these extra capabilities are usually more than offset by the gross over-estimation that the diver places in his own and his cars' abilities.

At the end of the day the laws of physics always win.

Huge difference between a decent sports car and a 00 clio for example, clio which doesn't have ABS takes ages to stop, a good sports car will slow ye down in no time. A decent set of brakes makes a big difference when ye get into trouble

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Cyrus wrote: »
    the 60 km/h zone in kilmacanogue :mad:

Is that what causes the southbound traffic jams in the evening?

I head north on the N11 from the bray south junction and onto the M50 and sometimes the southbound traffic is backed up to carrickmines and beyond. Could never understand why.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

I got taken to court for speeding when I was 18 / 19 - best thing that ever happened to me. It was a calculated risk - young fella driving his new car on a fine day with a big stretch of straight open road in front of me - I just wanted to see what it was like to push on a bit... Got clocked at 99mph (though the speedo said 105mph) - I was in a 60mph zone.

Anyway - I was summonsed to court & I was full sure I was going to loose my license. I escaped with a £100 fine (this was pre-euro). It was an relief, but an eye opener and it knocked sense into me.

Since this incident I initially made the effort to drive with more consideration for myself, those with / around me and the conditions. It has now become habitual and I stick to the speed limit in built up areas and set the cruise control +5 to 10% on most 100 / 120km/h roads (not all are suitable). Never had any problems since and have passed a good few speed checks under these circumstances.

Other points raised: I don't hog the right hand lane on dual carriage ways as this is not what it is there for. It drives is really frustrating when people get this wrong, for what ever reason.

Also, someone mentioned people not using the hard shoulder to allow others to pass. Driving in the hard shoulder is an offense - why should someone take a risk themselves to allow another to pass? If it were safe to overtake, you wouldn't need them to pull in (regardless of what speed they are doing).

Finally way back at the start someone said they push on to 180km/h - I hope this was a joke.

Advertisement