Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cardboard Cops

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

There was something similiar in the UK, but was using a cutout of a motorcycle rather than a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

industria wrote: »
    'the car is a heavy robust wood cut-out and is not cardboard by any means' according to police spokesperson!

only in kildare so far? where did you spot yours OP? I stand corrected!

At last a material to match their sense of humour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

stevec wrote: »
    I think this is a great idea - fair play to them.

It beats the balls off guards hiding in bushes and covert gatzo's that do absolutely nothing for road safety.

+1

Far more cost effective than wasting 10's of thousands of Tax payers money on real cars with real guards in them, who do nothing for road safety.

I think they are used in the Isle of Mann prior to the TT races's starting, to stop all the wannabe racers killing themselves.

Anyway Kildare's Road Safety Officer Declan Keogh says, its main objective to deter drivers from speeding is in fact working.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

0001907210dr.jpg

It looks as funny as hell though!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

This concept has been used and has worked for years in the UK. People do tend to watch their speed & manners when they see a garda car - I'm happy enough with the idea, once they use it in varied locations etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

I heard on the radio a while back about a similar setup in Oz, except it was a lifesize manaquin (sp?) of a cop. They are so realistic, one trucker was seen pulling up and getting out to have a chat with it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Edser

A couple more from the Clane - Celbridge road..

Image001.jpg

Image002.jpg

Image003.jpg

Ted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Ah, a bit of cardboard with some intelligence at last. This one is not trying to speed check the trees :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Stephen wrote: »
    Another sure sign of a downward economy, replacing cops with bits of wood :pac:

There's a difference?

Its obvious its fake - Garda cars don't have alloys...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Nam_Man

:eek: :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

From the looks of it it would take a few lads to steal it. Looks alot heavier than just a piece of wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

nialler wrote: »
    There's a difference?

LMAO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Omcd wrote: »
    Ah, a bit of cardboard with some intelligence at last. This one is not trying to speed check the trees :rolleyes:

Well the one on the Clane-Celbridge road looks as if it's speed checking the cows in the field across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Its obvious its fake - Garda cars don't have alloys...

The larger-engined ones often do, the 3.0 mondeo in our district has alloys. (Sh*tty looking ones, albeit)

I think its a shame...

you used to be able to recogise a Garda car by the hub caps zip tied to the wheels...

The obvious thing now is the three aerials on the roof, the last one being very short. If you look at the back, you can see the LED repeaters, also on the front wings on the bumper and the LEDs behind or attached to the grill. OR the control box on the centre dash. Or the lights stuck on the dash. Or the guys with the vis jackets driving it.

Honestly, what do you want from us?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Honestly, what do you want from us?

Pics or GTFO.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

I used to love it when 'unmarked' cops only drove dark navy/blue Sierra Sapphires or... Montegos! No wheel trims either. It was fairer back then... And they didn't have any of these silly speed guns and all that nonsense.

Now people seem to pay as much attention to their speedo as the road - can't be good. Surely it's only a matter or time before we get a thread about this with the same results as MadsL's Dorset St. one..!

SteveC wrote: »
    Pics or GTFO.

:D

No dey is supa sekrit. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement