Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie to Liverpool ? WHY BOTHER ANYMORE???

• 01-07-2008 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Absolute BOLLOX. After reading in the daily mail (too lazy to give a link i'm sure you can all find it) that Spurs striker Robbie Keane has handed in a transfer request upon hearing of Liverpools interest in him I have to ask myself why I bother being a Spurs fan anymore.

All my mates support Top 4 clubs and I deal with constant abuse but have always remained loyal and upbeat. Even going to the extent of picking Spurs in mini Pro Ev leagues with my mates dispite the obvious handicap.

Today I am truly devastated to read my HERO Robbie has handed in a transfer request willie-nillie on hearing the interest of a top 4 club. If my club captain is so easily swayed by the promise of CL football and winning a trophy a LITTLE more regularly why shouldn't I. The champions league has murdered football. Carrick, Keane, BERBATOV? Anyone with any real class either leaves or looks to leave as soon as they are given the chance. Sidwell for Reading and lok what happened to them. I think i'm going to just support Utd. The bottom 16 of the PL have just become feeder clubs to the CL teams should we just be happy to be allowed play in the same league as them for the year.

I don't know. Sorry about the rant.

Your truly ,
    One devastated Spurs fan "Paddy"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Because it is in the paper it must be true! espaecially in that rag.
    I wouldn't get too upset yet. Isn't he still on honeymoon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Unfortunately my friend, thats just how it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

I remember in Robbie Fowlers bookthat he got a text of a teammate asking would he like to join Liverpool (when Houllier was there), the teammate sent it to the wrong Robbie! on his phone and Robbie Keane actually said no but i think he was with Leeds at the time and they were doing well then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Robbie Keane is, and always has been, a Liverpool fan.

Would imagine IF he wants the move, its as much to do with that and it being his chance chance to play for them realistically, as it is the lure of Champions League football.

But as has been said, i wouldnt lose any sleep until the sources are more concrete.
    tomred1 wrote: »
    I remember in Robbie Fowlers bookthat he got a text of a teammate asking would he like to join Liverpool

Gary Mc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

All I can say is that, as a Villa and Gareth Barry fan, I hear your pain!

The only thing is it's still a rumour at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

At the end of the day, players will always want to play for the most successful clubs.

If Spurs want to hang on to players like Berbatov and Keano, they'll need to win. The Carling Cup was a start, but they were tipped to break the top four this time last season. It's not The Big Four's fault that Spurs blew 16 million on Bent when they clearly needed some steal in midfield and defensive cover. It's not The Big Four's fault that they publicly undermined Martin Jol, and sacked him so early in the season.

Strangely enough though, it was one of The Big Four who overpaid considerably for Michael Carrick, and they may well end up over-paying for Berbatov and Keano this summer. They get good prices for selling their players, you know. It's not The Big Four's fault if Spurs don't reinvest the transfer fees sensibly.

Spurs could've secured CL football this season - the fact that they didnt owed as much to their mismanagement as it did to The Big Four's domination.

Spurs have the fans, the coach and a core group of players to be successful. Success almost entirely depends on how they run the club - will they implode like they always do when they really need to make the step up, or will they finally fulfill their billing as a top club? The Big Four won't decide, the Spurs board, management and playing staff will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Although the rumour about Keane is in quite a few papers this morning, I still have my doubts about its truth. He signed a new 5 year contract last summer and siad as recently as April that he wanted to end his career at Spurs. I can see the love affair between him and the Spurs fans coming to an abrupt end if there is any truth to the rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

How about being philosophical about the whole thing? As a Liverpool fan I remember when Rush went to Juventus, McManaman went to Real Madrid, Collymore went to Aston Villa, Gerrard nearly went to Chelsea and Leonhardsen decided to try his luck at White Hart Lane :).

You have to realise that the club you support is bigger than any one player no matter how important you believe them to be. Tottenham were around long before Robbie Keane was even born and will continue to be around long after he's passed away.

Also, like the Barry deal, I don't think Benitez will be held to ransom so if Spurs start wanting silly money, Keane will probably stay where he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

.... Sidwell for Reading and lok what happened to them. I think i'm going to just support Utd. ....
    Your truly ,
    Support Liverpool, solves a lot of issues....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

tomred1 wrote: »
    Isn't he still on honeymoon?

I'm led to believe he is, and Daniel Levy is supposed to be away on holiday, though that's not to say in the 21st century that business cannot be conducted by phone/fax/e-mail etc etc.
    He signed a new 5 year contract last summer and siad as recently as April that he wanted to end his career at Spurs.

Stephen Kelly signed a new contract at Spurs in May 2006 and was sold to Birmingham the following month...contracts do not indicate future intention from either party.

I don't blame Keane for having his head turned by Liverpool. Hhis comments in April sounded to me like somebody who was happy at Spurs but was also aware that none of the big 4 had expressed an interest in his services, now that there is interest who knows what he's thinking? To be honest, unless it was a move to a CL side in England, Keane would be mad to leave Spurs where he ahs had his most consistent years of football, competed in Europe (albeit the UEFA Cup) and played with some quality players along the way.

I just hope he realises the club have a valuation on him that if not met means he will be at Spurs next season, accepting that and knuckling down to play for the club would be the mark of a man whose ego is in check.

He's given us five years of service and I'm very grateful for that, so if he wants out I won't think any worse of him, provided he behaves in the correct manner.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

as a liverpool fan im happy with keano being linked to us... but at the same time i understand what fans must be feeling as i would absolutely hate if say torres or gerrard was to be bought by the likes of chelski or man utd.

it is the way football seems to be at the moment but you cant do any more then follow ur club, whoever that may be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'll personally be happy for him to realise his potential. He is a very good player and imo deserves to be playing in the CL. That said, currently its just paper talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

All my mates support Top 4 clubs and I deal with constant abuse but have always remained loyal and upbeat. Even going to the extent of picking Spurs in mini Pro Ev leagues with my mates dispite the obvious handicap.

OT but Spurs are better than Liverpool in pro evo. (And i'm 'pool fan)

Keane supports Liverpool, if the team you supported wanted to buy you you'd seriously have to consider it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Robbie Keane and Gareth Barry don't win premiership titles.

Robbie Keane and Gareth Barry don't win premiership titles.

nice input.

ever think about writing a book?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Its well known he's a big Pool fan but why would he leave Spurs?
    Fair enough, there's CL football on offer at Liverpool but at Spurs he's adored by the fans and he's club captain. The way Spurs are spending this year they may break into the top 4!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Would he not just be sittin on the bench in Anfield?....I think they could do a lot better than him, fine hes done well at Spurs, but top 4 quality he aint....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I suppose it's big fish in a small (or smaller) pond. And bear in mind the ego's of the average Premiership player. When Voronin signed he was full of talk about how he was going to show Shevchenko how Ukranian strikers could do well in England. Keane will be 100% confident in his own ability to get a regular starting place and won't even be thinking of sitting on the bench, he'll be thinking of teh CL games he's seen LFC play in the last two seasons and imagining himself scoring the winning goal against Barca into the Kop end in a CL semi-final (or whatever)

Clubs and teams do long term building, players have to look for teh short term

but top 4 quality he aint....

when exactly did he play in the top 4?

never?

was carrick top 4 material before Utd signed him? he certainly is now.

players need to be given chances in the top 4 and fail before people can say "top 4 he aint" with any certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

This is just a copy and paste of what I have said in teh Liverpool tread.

"Personally I prefer that Keane stays at Tottenham where he is virtually a confirmed starter each game where as at Liverpool, it wouldn't be the same and in my eyes, it would be Ireland that suffers if that's the case although saying that, you have the robotic stick insect Crouch who lives on the bench and has scored a lot for England but then again, England do have a lot of quality players who can pass the ball for RoboCrouch to score.

I just wouldn't want to see Keane who is good at what he does for Tottenham ending up on the Liverpool bench and then being expected to score a plenty for Ireland when he is selected."

Lazy perhaps but i didn't know this tread was here and I just want to say the same point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I can't wait until Mr Alan is lavishing praise on Keane when he plays for Oirland.

That will be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

Mr Alan wrote: »
    when exactly did he play in the top 4?

never?

was carrick top 4 material before Utd signed him? he certainly is now.

players need to be given chances in the top 4 and fail before people can say "top 4 he aint" with any certainty.

In theory he played top 4 football at Leeds, but thats being picky. He definitly has the potential to play Top 4 football. He has been scoring goals playing in front of an inconsistent Jenas and a defensive Zokora. Imagine him playing in front of players that don't leave it to him to make his own opportunities.

i've never been too fond of Keane playing for Ireland tbh, although i do enjoy watching him for Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

i've never been too fond of Keane playing for Ireland tbh, although i do enjoy watching him for Spurs.

I do agree but he hasn't always been bad for Ireland considering he's our top scorer and does have the ability to continue scoring goals considering he does it at club level and with a team that's not top 4.

The difference is that I believe Ireland now have a good experienced manager who knows what he is doing unlike our last manager so I am hoping that he can bring out the best in Keane once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

In theory he played top 4 football at Leeds, but thats being picky. He definitly has the potential to play Top 4 football. He has been scoring goals playing in front of an inconsistent Jenas and a defensive Zokora. Imagine him playing in front of players that don't leave it to him to make his own opportunities.

He did, and he did well with Spurs. If anything his move to Inter was the "black spot" on his career, despite the bob's he made.

I actually agree with PHB (shock) and Mr Alan (gasp) in that he does have potential and potential that will only be realised with a "top 4" team. He simply does not have the years left to bide his time at spurs. Of all the so called second tier teams, spurs strike me as the one's most likely to break into the top 4, closely followed by the Toffees.

Having said that I think spurs are 2-3 seasons off that realisation, and Robbie does not have the time. He's 27 now, so 3 years would put him in his 30's and probably past his best.

I realise that all of this simply paper talk, but if true, you can't blame the lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Absolute BOLLOX. After reading in the daily mail (too lazy to give a link i'm sure you can all find it) that Spurs striker Robbie Keane has handed in a transfer request upon hearing of Liverpools interest in him I have to ask myself why I bother being a Spurs fan anymore.

Today I am truly devastated to read my HERO Robbie has handed in a transfer request willie-nillie on hearing the interest of a top 4 club. If my club captain is so easily swayed by the promise of CL football and winning a trophy a LITTLE more regularly why shouldn't I. The champions league has murdered football. Carrick, Keane, BERBATOV? Anyone with any real class either leaves or looks to leave as soon as they are given the chance. Sidwell for Reading and lok what happened to them. I think i'm going to just support Utd. The bottom 16 of the PL have just become feeder clubs to the CL teams should we just be happy to be allowed play in the same league as them for the year.

I don't know. Sorry about the rant.

Your truly ,

Err, havent yea just signed Modric ? I assume he wanted to move to a bigger club. Maybe his old club feel the same way about him leaving as you do Keane ?

footballer interested in joining bigger club shock horror!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

footballer interested in joining marginally bigger club shock horror!

fixed it for you. :pac:

this whole story reeks of meh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

You should be happy we are taking chubby of your hands. As a Liverpool fan I would be GUTTED if he came to us. I can't believe you are thinking of stop supporting your club because Robbie Keane left, you seriously need to get out more.

• Advertisement

fixed it for you. :pac:

this whole story reeks of meh...

bad fishing that mate.

i'm all about the love today!

*cheers for the PM over the weekend by the way, i'll be back fo more advice ;)

footballer interested in joining bigger club shock horror!

Fans suddenly rating player thats linked to their club shocker!! :pac::pac::pac:

Same happened United fans in fairness when Michael Owen was linked with united from Madrid, I find that kind of thing very funny.

Fans suddenly rating player thats linked to their club shocker!! :pac::pac::pac:

have rated Keane the last 2 seasons tbh. would prefer Villa but beggars cant be choosers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Spurs to Liverpool is obviously a step up but he seems to be a legend at the club so I don't know if it would be worth it.

I reckon him and Torres would have a fruitful partnership but I'd still be very surprised to see the move happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I've a friend whose a Spurs fan and he's pretty much incapable of caring anymore. If Spurs were **** he could deal with it, but it's the inconsistency that's worn him down.

Now imagine being a footballer. Year after year you see your team misfiring, flattering to deceive etc. Sure he's a cult hero, but he's being offered CL football and a (slightly) higher level of consistency. Yeah it sucks for Spurs fans, but you have to understand where he's coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Today I am truly devastated to read my HERO Robbie has handed in a transfer request willie-nillie on hearing the interest of a top 4 club. "

He didnt just read in the paper that Liverpool might be having a look and decide to hand in the request. IF theres an actual link and imminent bid then contact will have already been made.

I'm not a big fan of Keane tbh.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I doubt he's suprised.

I wouldn't really think he's the kind of player Liverpool need, but that's a different matter altogether. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

I agree with the OP.Im a Liverpool fan but feel football is slowly but surely going to the dogs with money.The Robbie Keane case is different mind you as he is a life long Liverpool fan but in general footballers on the whole are greedy buggers at heart (Ronaldo,Gerrard,Owen etc...).I just feel for fans of spurs,villa,man city and the rest of the also rans year after year as things are unlikely to change anytime soon due to Sky sports and now Setanta sports and the huge TV rights deals they are paying out to Champions league teams ie: Top 4 teams.:( Sucks to be them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

The Premiership tv money has created a massive gap between the top clubs and the lower ones. The CL creates a huge gap between the top 4 and the rest of the Prem. Whilst the Prem TV is very equitable in comparision to most other leagues, the CL causes the financial divide to increase more.

Unfortunately it can only get worse if someone doesn't break the top 4 soon, as more and more markets like China and the US get into football the elite clubs will continue to soak up the fans and all that goes with it. Unless they drastically change the way football is run it can only get worse. It would be great if they could have a salary cap-draft system like American football which they brought in the middle 90s to stop rich teams like the 49ers and Cowboys 'buying' titles and gave all fans hope for their team. It sucks that this is basically impossible in football because of the nature of the game and the power that some have. They have to do something though cause its bad for football if people keep losing their best players then fans will follow.

The Premiership tv money has created a massive gap between the top clubs and the lower ones. The CL creates a huge gap between the top 4 and the rest of the Prem. Whilst the Prem TV is very equitable in comparision to most other leagues, the CL causes the financial divide to increase more.

Does it? Two years ago, Spurs missed out on 4th place because of a dodgy lasagne, not because of CL money.

Last summer, and probably this summer, teams like Portsmouth, Sunderland and West Ham matched or outspent half of the big four in the transfer market.

Does it? Two years ago, Spurs missed out on 4th place because of a dodgy lasagne, not because of CL money.

Last summer, and probably this summer, teams like Portsmouth, Sunderland and West Ham matched or outspent half of the big four in the transfer market.

Those clubs don't spend as much, they may spend as much on occasions on transfer fees but have nowhere near the wage bill that the top 4 would.

• Advertisement

West Ham? Don't they spend staggering wages?

Can't really comment about Pompey or Spurs wages bills, don't know much about them though.

In fairness, I'd be almost positive that the likes of Lucas Neill at West Ham is out-earning most Arsenal and Liverpool players.

Lucas Neill was in talks with Liverpool at the time, but signed for West Ham due to a better contract offer from them.

In fairness, I'd be almost positive that the likes of Lucas Neill at West Ham is out-earning most Arsenal and Liverpool players.

Lucas Neill was in talks with Liverpool at the time, but signed for West Ham due to a better contract offer from them.

TOP PREMIER LEAGUE WAGE BILLS 2006/7
    Chelsea - £132.8m (£114m)
    Manchester Utd - £92.3m (£85.4m)
    Arsenal - £89.7m (£82.9m)
    Liverpool - £77.6m (£68.9m)
    Newcastle Utd - £62.4m (£52.2m)
    (2005/6 wages in brackets)
    Source: Deloitte

I accept your point about Lucas Neil but generally the top 4 can afford more than the rest. of course lower clubs do spend massive money on players and wages in the hope of breaking and consistantly making the top 4. But without the CL it goes down the pan, such as Leeds. Spurs almost broke the top 4 and Everton did a few years back but not consistantly enough. In the last 5 years the top 4 have played CL football every year. This is bound to have effects in not just the short term but longer as well. These clubs have the biggest or certaintly have plans to have the biggest stadiums(apart from Chelsea but they're a whole other story obviously). This is mostly driven from CL money. The CL has such a huge effect on a clubs finances and without it its difficult to compete(apart from if you have a billionaire owner who uses the club as a hobbey not for business). Its also difficult to keep players like Keane or Berbatov.

Nonetheless, the gap isn't as large as you many make out. Everton recently pipped Liverpool to 4th, and Spurs were 90 minutes away of doing the same to Arsenal.

Spurs, Aston Villa, Portsmouth and Everton are all very much in the ascent, and it's very possible that they could mount a challenge for 4th place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

IMHO West Ham will be challenging for forth place. Bellamy, Ashton, Dwyer and Neill & Freddie on song We will give the big 4 a run for their money. We had a fierce run of bad injuries last year but this year we will put it up to any team!:cool:*

*May not be fact but in my dreams it is!

Nonetheless, the gap isn't as large as you many make out. Everton recently pipped Liverpool to 4th, and Spurs were 90 minutes away of doing the same to Arsenal.

Spurs, Aston Villa, Portsmouth and Everton are all very much in the ascent, and it's very possible that they could mount a challenge for 4th place.

There's no doubt that those clubs have made huge strides in the last couple of years but so have the top 4 and thus the CL have remained the same basically in that period. These clubs whilst they are able to sign a certain level of player struggle to attract and keep the very top players needed to consistantly peform. They don't have the wage capacity for it or even for the less greedy and more ambitious player CL football. If Spurs can't hang on to their best players, how can they be considered serious contenders for top 4 consistantly? I hope I'm wrong but aside from the Aston Villas of this world's owners really putting up the finance needed to bridge the obvious gap in finances caused by the CL they will struggle to break the top 4 on a coonsistant basis imo.

I would suggest that the likes of Villa, Portsmouth and Everton have progressed at a faster rate than Liverpool and Arsenal, and that as a result the gap is getting narrower and narrower.

Looking at the signings Liverpool and Arsenal made in the last few seasons, only Torres stands out as being unatainable by the chasing pack. If Spurs had plumped up 16 million on Macherano instead of Darren Bent, or picked up Sagna instead of Gareth Bale, they'd be in the mix for the top 4, without any increase in net spend. They have the money, it just hasnt been spent as wisely in the past as similar funds have been at Liverpool and Arsenal.

Obviously Liverpool and Arsenal's CL football puts them at an advantage both in terms of financing deals and attracting talent, but there are plenty of talented footballers on the market, and the chasing pack do have plenty of money to spend. It all depends on how they choose to spend it.

Spurs seem to be learning - this summer they've signed two players who The Big Four were reportedly interested in: Modric and Dos Santos. Spending money like this should close the gap and see them progressing towards the CL spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

I disagree.the gap between 4th and the rest will continue to increase with time.Yeah spurs are making a half decent effort at getting in there but in all honesty they dont have a chance in hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Looking at the signings Liverpool and Arsenal made in the last few seasons, only Torres stands out as being unatainable by the chasing pack. If Spurs had plumped up 16 million on Macherano instead of Darren Bent, or picked up Sagna instead of Gareth Bale, they'd be in the mix for the top 4, without any increase in net spend. They have the money, it just hasnt been spent as wisely in the past as similar funds have been at Liverpool and Arsenal.

I'm sorry, but that's way wide of the mark.

Spurs were in for Nani and Anderson before they signed for United, neither were Torres-like but both opted for United over us. Bale was a great signing, and was on United's radar.

Bent was a mistake, no denial, but not one based on his (in)ability but more on a breakdown of communication at management level @ WHL.

There is also the simple fact that to attract players to non-CL clubs when CL clubs are also in the mix sometimes involves paying over the odds in transfer fees/wages, look at Lucas Neill's decision to opt for West Ham over Pool, would he have done so if the money on offer was the same?

People look at Berbatov and say he was a great signing, and shows the value of paying top dollar, but if he'd flopped we'd be told we should have been in for some Liverpool/United target. Modric looks a great buy, but if he doesn't work out people will forget he was a target for Chelsea among others and we'll be told he's too lightweight for the PL and we've wasted our money again. Meanwhile Nasri will do well at the Goons and he'll be held up as the player we should have bought, except he wouldn't have come to us with Arsenal interested anyway!

In fairness Recklessone, footballers are always attracted to bigger more successful clubs,always have been, always will be. thats nothing to do with the money involved or Sky or anything like that.

(i know you arent actually saying it is, but that was the direction this thread had taken)

• Advertisement
Advertisement