Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibreglass Jigsaw cutting blade - Where to buy?

Options
  • 01-07-2008 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Here's a longshot....
    I need to cut some fibgreglass, and the best way to do it is with a Jigsaw with a Fibreglass cutting blade - Does anyone know if any of the DIY shops in Galway sell these?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I would try O'Tooles just opposite Debenhams. Its the small shop on the corner. Maybe ring them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

sgthighway wrote: »
    I would try O'Tooles just opposite Debenhams. Its the small shop on the corner. Maybe ring them first.

Excellent, would never have thought of there, thanks

-Edit- Damn, tried googling and goldenpages.ie - no sign of a phone number :(

Ah, got it by Googling the street name.

Cheers

http://www.build.ie/company_479932.htm

-Edit- Bah, they don't sell them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Saw Jigsaw thread in the Galway forum, got excited. Alas it's only power tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

the obvious choice would be Caulfields on the tuam road or oranmore(its got everything!!)

• Advertisement

slickmcvic wrote: »
    the obvious choice would be Caulfields on the tuam road or oranmore(its got everything!!)

Unfortunately Caulfields doesn't have *everything* - Checked there, they arent aware that there's such thing as a fibreglass cutting blade! (Same as O Tooles)

I reckon i'll get by fine with a timber cutting blade as there are big serrated (sp?) teeth, as opposed to the smaller ones for metal which would just overheat the fibreglass

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Tripart on the Tuam road ?
    You wouldn't know what can be found in this treasure shop!

B&Q?

Hope this helps
    Valerie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Unfortunately Caulfields doesn't have *everything* - Checked there, they arent aware that there's such thing as a fibreglass cutting blade! (Same as O Tooles)

I reckon i'll get by fine with a timber cutting blade as there are big serrated (sp?) teeth, as opposed to the smaller ones for metal which would just overheat the fibreglass

Hi John. I think the Bosch T101B jigsaw blades will do the trick for you. I actually work in caulfield's and as far as i remember these blade are specifically for plastics and composites like fibreglass. It depends on which of the monkies behind the counter you had the misfortune to ask in caulfields as to the advise you received!

If you google this you might get more info before you go back to Caulfields and slap one of the lads.....

Valerie - You're right, Tripart can be a great shop that stocks things you wouldn't expect

Howya Fozzie - Thanks for the info, fairplay to you. Do those blades be in stock? And if so, are they on the counter? TBH some of the staff in there can be a bit, um, rude when I come in (usually not dressed like a labourer y'see)... normally just get the oul man to go in as he's been going in there for years.. he actually gets a smile! :p (Not saying all are like that, but there are 1 or 2)

Ya i know, there are one or two of the lads who could do with working on their interpersonal skills.

We have loads of those blades in stock, (both Tuam Road and Oranmore) our part number is B2608630030 and a pack of five blades is around 9.50 mark.

I hope they do the job for you and i don't go ruining your fibreglass. They are primarily wood blades but can be used on laminates, fibreglass, plastics etc. Might be an idea to try one out first on a scrap piece with various speeds etc.

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

Fozie - You're a legend thanks very much for that. If I go up to the counter with your own part number should the staff be able to get them?

BTW where exactly in Oranmore are ye? I've only ever been to the one on Tuam Road

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

Woodies?

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Fozie - You're a legend thanks very much for that. If I go up to the counter with your own part number should the staff be able to get them?

BTW where exactly in Oranmore are ye? I've only ever been to the one on Tuam Road

Ya if you give them that part number they will be able to get the blades straight off for you or else direct you to them out in the aisles/displays.

Our HQ is in the Oranmore Business Park, where there is a sales counter too. Entrance is directly behind the Quality hotel. (Same one as for the Omniplex and City limits). We are all the way in at the very back. You can see the building on the dual carriage on your way out from town. The new Cisco systems build is directly in front of us.

Deadly - will get down before the weekend

/me wonders if he's going to be stalked now as Fozzie waits for some lad to come into Caulfields and ask for Jigsaw blades :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I don't know what you are trying to cut but I have done a lot of fibreglass work on cars and boats and I used a circular saw and an angle grinder with a flap disc to clean the edges.

I don't know what you are trying to cut but I have done a lot of fibreglass work on cars and boats and I used a circular saw and an angle grinder with a flap disc to clean the edges.

Circular saw would be way too big. Trying to cut a din sized slot for a stereo into .5" thick fibreglass/gelcoat. the idea was to drill 4 holes (1 at each corner) and then go at it with the jigsaw

Alternatively use an angle grinder, start in the middle and work my way out with the centre of the blade to the corners - But can't help to think that the grinder may be too aggressive?

Ended up using the angle grinder (man those things are fun :D) But christ is fibreglass dusty - the inside of my nose is covered in white dust :eek:

Advertisement