Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ouch...

Options
  • 01-07-2008 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

well i did my cycle from balbriggan to thomas street this morning....
    left at 6am. and was in the door of work at 745....
    not with out war wounds though...came of the bike after a roundabout after swords when i tried to get on a stupid cycle path...bad idea.... lets just say there was a lot of blood...
    so once i had gathered myself and cleaned up my leg (wet wipes are a miracle) i headed of again....only to fall over at traffic lights near dorset street. at that stage all i could do was laugh, i was in pain from the earlier fall and knew my bike was all scratched :(
    so i set of again anyway and made it to the office without any more mishaps....so im now feeling very sorry for myself with bloody leg, bruised elbow and brusied pride....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I find it's the pride that hurts the most after a crash sometimes. And then when you're shook, you have another crash shortly afterwards.

Once crashed the bike and fell off twice on one 50km spin :o

Did anyone help you when you went down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Jaysus...that's some epic adventure! Hopefully you make it home alive :eek:

How'd you come off at the lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Oh No ... I hope you're ok.
    Will you be ok to cycle home tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

micmclo wrote: »
    I find it's the pride that hurts the most after a crash sometimes.
    +1 Nothing worse than losing face in front of passing motorists who find it hilarious:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

thats horrible Sooty sorry to hear that, dont let it beat you jump back on later on and show it who's boss !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sooty11

Did anyone help you when you went down?
    only on the 2nd fall... a nice guy who was on a bike also helped get me up .

How'd you come off at the lights
    the light went green....my pedal was not in the right position to get me going....my head told me to go....i fell over...oh the shame of it....

Will you be ok to cycle home tonight?
    im not feeling brave at the moment..and am still very sore...ill have see at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

hope you're ok and that any damage is minor. did the wind play a part? tis treacherous out there this morning. don't get back on the bike till you're ready but don't loose confidence either, if you stick at it there'll be other days when you'll arrive at work with a huge smile on your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Bummer, hope your ok man.
    Took a tumble myself this morning and have busted my ankle, feels like theres a tennis ball in it at the moment.
    Wind was/is a huge factor today.Don't worry about cycling home get on the bike and fears will be gone within 2-3 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Jeebus Sooty hope you're ok. There was a mad head wind all the way in too. Balbriggan into Town commute is a monster let alone falling twice. You're a lot braver than me. And more patient, think I would have thrown the bike through a window on the second fall.

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

You scratched the bike as well as your leg did you? Damn and double damn!
    sounds like you were making very good time though, espcially considering the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Damn that sounds like a rough trip in. speedy recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Tell me it wasn't your lovely, pretty (same as mine) Focus that got scratched up :eek:

Seriously though, sorry to hear it, that's certainly an epic way to start any day!

oh jeses i dont know how many times i considered turning back for home cause of that wind....it was unreal...there was no break from it all the way in.
    the wind didnt actually play any part in the falls. :o
    i wont be doing that commute daily....was only doing it today to get some mileage in for this weekend. when i get brave again i may do it once a week...
    i would have made it in an hour and a half if i hadnt fell!!....oh well.
    ya LBD my fecking new bike is scratched im gutted! my leg is a mess though. im not going to be looking so pretty in my shorts this weekend!;)
    bobtjustice were u able to carry on cycling on that ankle...holy god that must be sore!

are you still up for the ROK?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Sorry to hear about that Sooty. Don't let it put you off. Just think that you've got all your falling over with in one day and it'll get better from here on in.

kenmc wrote: »
    are you still up for the ROK?

hell ya!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Vicous weather out today. Fair play to you for going through that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

sooty11 wrote: »
    hell ya!!!

Good on ya girl!
    its a bummer getting the bike scratched but, hey, at least it will look broken in :D

bobtjustice were u able to carry on cycling on that ankle...holy god that must be sore!

Yeah it didn't seem to bad at the time, only now while sitting at work its throbbing a bit, I have an ice pack strapped to it at the moment. So hopefully it wont be too bad come 3 o'clock or so when I get back on the bike.
    Had the horrible case of unclipping and resting my foot on the pedal (i was holding on to a railing to balance) , low and behold i clip back in without realising, wind catches me and over i go, so I twisted my ankle trying to get out before I hit the deck and I've managed to pull a lump out of the back of my leg as well, along with denting my pride too :D.
    Not as bad as your falls but painful none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I hate clipping in without realising it.

• Advertisement

penexpers wrote: »

First time its happened me, a weird sensation. I think i shouted very loudly.. "OH S**t" :D:D

penexpers wrote: »

:o I still have scars myself ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Sorry to hear about your fall Sooty, but as everyone has said, just get back on and keep going, the fear/pain/doubt will recede as you gobble up the miles. Hope the pain isn't too bad.

The weather is a pain in the 4rse. I can't believe I'm still wearing a base layer and leg warmers on the 1st of July. It's just wrong.

But it still beats driving, right guys?;)

unionman wrote: »
    The weather is a pain in the 4rse. I can't believe I'm still wearing a base layer and leg warmers on the 1st of July. It's just wrong.
    Wuss :D

kenmc wrote: »
    Wuss :D

I walked into that didn't I?:)

unionman wrote: »

Leg warmers and base layer?? that's a bti much now ... I just keep my armwamers ...

Do people still cycle with full winter gear now for 'sweat training purposes'??

Leg warmers and base layer?? that's a bti much now ... I just keep my armwamers ...

Had a base layer this morning as it was quite cold along with a high vis gillet thingy as it was quite cloudy and dark when I was heading to work.
    Was sweating like a like a nun in a (wait i better not do that joke here), ..... i was warm getting to work.! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

hell ya!!!
    Good to hear your enthusiasm isn't dented. I wouldn't worry too much about the bike if it's only aesthetic; it's almost inevitable that it is going to happen at some stage (it is with me anyway!) Look at it as an initiation. I have well-scuffed STI levers with missing caps on two bikes myself.

Take care of yourself and make sure you are OK and don't aggrevate any injuries (sounds just like scrapes, I hope.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

hope ur alright sooty. falling isnt nice but i suppose its gong to happen now and then

• Advertisement

In my defence...leg warmers went on only today because it started to rain just before I left for work, and I was putting shoe covers on aswell. Shoes got soaked last week and I didn't want it to happen again. Base layer (very light pearl thingy) has been a constant in June.

The more I try to explain, the sadder I think I really am.

Advertisement