Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ouch...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Leg warmers and base layer?? that's a bti much now ... I just keep my armwamers ...

Do people still cycle with full winter gear now for 'sweat training purposes'??

Hmm, I wore knee warmers, arm warmers, a base layer and overshoes today. Slight overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

sooty11 wrote: »
    my fecking new bike is scratched im gutted!

The first scratch is always the worst. Then you get so many that you just don't care anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Hey Sooty how is the body feeling now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sooty11

Hi BUACHAILL

im pretty sore tbh...ive a black elbow, and my shin and knee are turning the same:eek:...ive the office sticking of tcp antisceptic cream for the cuts. oh it stings!!!

probably best not to cycle home then eh

• Advertisement

ya im going to get it driven home for me. cant face the city traffic just now...
    but ill go out later tonight for a wee spin in country side of balbriggan. must check it our properly to make sure ive not damaged anything.

good stuff a little annoyed and determined i like it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

That’s some poxy luck there Sooty not what you needed after building up the motivation to face up to what is a fairly serious commute. You’re on the ropes now so you gotta roll with the punches and suck it up and get back in the saddle like you’re planning to do. For me, the sense of achievement is always that bit more when there’s been some pain along the way, for another boxing analogy Ali’s one along the lines of ‘a hero is someone that has to overcome adversity in order to triumph’ will do nicely.

Could it be that you were maybe a little tentative with it being your first journey on that route? I find cycling in built-up areas is like any hurler will tell you – go in hard and you won’t get hurt, by being assertive you make other road users’ mind up for them rather than the other way round. That said, there’s nothing in your post that points to that being the cause, it could just be sheer bad luck which we’ve all had.

Hope you’re wearing a helmet at all times. A good few years back a helmet saved my life when I was cycling through Rathmines to college and a car came out from the estate on the left just before Portobello bridge looking not to yield, didn’t see me and nailed me – I bounced off his windscreen as he was turning right and landed in the other lane just as a van was stopping to turn right so it didn’t catch me on the volley. Landed right on my head with the legs following over the top. Without a helmet it was game over but I ended up without a scratch, so I don’t care what any report says, I’ll always be wearing a helmet from here on out.

Anyways, no one could blame you if you decided to jack it in for a while after that nightmare start, but fair play to you for planning to stick with it – it’ll feel all the sweeter when you’re cruising up and down from Balbriggan on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I got up nice and early myself to do my first commute from Ratoath to Finglas (20K). I didn't do it because of the wind, I wasn't sure what the old N2 was going to be like and I thought it might be a bit dangerous. Hopefully Thursday or Friday I will get to do it.

sheer bad luck frank! the fecking wind blew my bike over before i even got on it this morning...once side scratched...was mental over that. 1st fall....other side scratched! and me badly scratched....
    ya id always wear the helmet. good job u had the sense to wear ur helmet that day!.
    this wouldnt be a daily commute for me, was just doing today for last minute training for rok....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

micmclo wrote: »
    ...And then when you're shook, you have another crash shortly afterwards.

Tell me about it!

I know you can't tell when you're in shock or something like that... but next time a bus driver tries to kill me, and only stops his attempt at pulling in and hitting me when I bang on the window, I'm going to have a good sit down or walk in to work.

Less than ten mins later I slam into one of the bollards along the Docklands' cycle paths. Bike and my leg were fooked.

One of the worst parts about it was straight after the bus driver claimed he actually had seen me all along - which was more shocking to know since I was along the centre of the bus and he kept pulling in until I banged on the window - and then he said I shouldn't have been scaring passengers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Had an accident along one of the Docklands cycle paths myself about a week ago. Overtook another cyclist, pulled in, then noticed there was an on-footpath cycle track along a quiet footpath so thought I'd be a "good boy" for once and use it. However what looked like a point where the kerb was down to road level to faciliate entry/exit to the cycle path was actually slightly above road level, meaning I clipped it with my wheel and went flying. Ended up ripping both my gloves and the palm of my left hand. It's still all sore and crusty at the moment. The other guy came up behind me asking was I alright while I lay there with my pride hurt worse than my hand :) I cycled behind him sheepishly for a while before I recovered from embarrassment enough to overtake him again :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    I got up nice and early myself to do my first commute from Ratoath to Finglas (20K). I didn't do it because of the wind, I wasn't sure what the old N2 was going to be like and I thought it might be a bit dangerous. Hopefully Thursday or Friday I will get to do it.

The old N2 isn't pleasant at all tbh. It's in really bad condition with potholes and there are lots of trucks and speeding drivers using it as a rat run (at least on the parts I've occasionally used while commuting from Finglas to Mulhuddart). You're probably better off using the new dual carriageway.

Stark wrote: »
    Had an accident along one of the Docklands cycle paths myself about a week ago. Overtook another cyclist, pulled in, then noticed there was an on-footpath cycle track along a quiet footpath so thought I'd be a "good boy" for once and use it. However what looked like a point where the kerb was down to road level to faciliate entry/exit to the cycle path was actually slightly above road level, meaning I clipped it with my wheel and went flying. Ended up ripping both my gloves and the palm of my left hand. It's still all sore and crusty at the moment. The other guy came up behind me asking was I alright while I lay there with my pride hurt worse than my hand :) I cycled behind him sheepishly for a while before I recovered from embarrassment enough to overtake him again :o

hehe this is exactly what knocked me of the first time today

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

sooty11 wrote: »
    hehe this is exactly what knocked me of the first time today
    But but- cycle tracks are perfectly safe :rolleyes: (I have come off myself in a similar situation, but sort of regained my balance just in time to land on my feet, no damage done, that time :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Someone should make a youtube video ,call it "War of the Roads" an Irish cycling adventure.

Lighthearted illustration of the crap we have to put up with.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Stark wrote: »

One of my patients is taking action against a local authority after a fall due to a "step" where the cyclelane joined the road.

Advertisement