Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need a special tape to join laps in Vapour Control Layer?

• 01-07-2008 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Folks, just about to install vapour control layer on warm side of external walls. Do I need to use a special tape to join laps on polythene or is any regular packaging-type tape sufficient? Thanks in advance, boots

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

We installed a blue breather paper to make our home airtight. We used the manufactures green tape - extremely sticky and strong. Almost impossible to remove. We also used their glue in a mastic gun - this would stick to anything!

I'd use a strong tape on polythene, maybe duct tape or aluminium. Pancel tape is good but might peel or split easily when wet/damp.

Maybe try a good glue stick in mastic gun, with good overlaps in polythene. Then use tape just to cover staple holes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 boots1

Thanks for the advice RKQ. Without wanting to sound ungrateful though, is there any point in going to the nth degree to cover the staple holes as the VCL will be punctured again when the slabbing starts (fixing slabs to studs)? In reality, should these relatively minor punctures be a cause for real concern?

Hi Boot1, I notice you are asking similar questions in two treads?

If you are building a new timber frame house then invest a little in "airtightness" vapour barriers and tapes.

Fill the gaps around your windows with fibre glass or foam, then seal with an airtight membrane. The tape on the frame will be covered by the plaster slab.

Taping the staple holes is extremely important, as you will find out if you do this work yourself. The staples are necessary for a tight fit. The tape is really a reinforcing of the membrane, around the staple hole, to prevent rips/tears etc.

Proclima opens in summer to let any trapped moisture out. Its pores actually open up in the warm weather. So the membrane can move, therefore staple holes could tear.

You make a fair point about the slabs but I'd would scew fix these to ensure a tight fit.
    The blowdoor test is carried out prior to slabbing!

This technology is standard practise in Europe. I installed it in 2003 and feel it was worth it.

The advice given is free... the choice is yours!

RKQ...sound advice & a good explanation as to why I should tape staple holes. Trawled web relentlessly yesterday & this was the best explanation yet....thanks. Are the SIGA products available here do you know or do you order direct online? I spoke with ecologics about similar products & based on their prices, it would cost me up to 3 grand (house too big!!) to buy membrane & tapes. If I had to make a choice between buying the membrane or buying a selection of the tapes (for example to seal around windows/gaps etc.) & using regular ploythene, where in your experience would you suggest that I'd get the biggest return? Thanks in advance, boots1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

from a purely damage control point of view, around windows is probably the most important place to seal. especially if you are using rads

Thanks Slig.

Cheers Boots1.I'm no expert but I did install it in my home.

Siga site is http://www.siga.ch/siga/e_intern.htm.
    The Comic is worth a read!
    I've never used their system, but friends are doing their course in the Autumn.
    I'm not sure about prices or purchasing via internet. The tapes are very strong and durable.

I can't say use tapes with polythene! Just don't have any experience of that!
    I know Proclima breathers in summer to release any build up of moisture, polythene won't breathe. ( Still a hot roof in summer might evaporate any trapped moisture!)

Thanks RK. Can I ask where you bought your membranes & tapes at the time?

Advertisement